OS/2 DOS Compatibility

Post by Glenn T. Wasserm » Thu, 10 Dec 1992 16:05:46

I've been reading about shortcomings that OS/2 has in running DOS apps. What
I would like to know is, which DOS apps can OS/2 NOT run? I've tried a
bunch myself, and haven't found a SINGLE THING that won't run under OS/2.

I'd like to know what will break OS/2. I certainly haven't found anything!

I will say, however, that there are a couple of minor problems with the
service pak. I have seen a couple of buglets where WPS objects don't hold
their attributes (I can't seem to change the color of shadow text) but
on the whole, crashes are EXTREMELY rare. As a matter of fact, I haven't
crashed the service pak yet - not once. A nice improvement over the GA release.
The biggest stumbling blocks I can see are in video driver support and the
lack of applications. And IBM is taking care of this, supposedly. I have my
fingers crossed.

There has been one aspect of NT that I've read about that I can see as a clear
advantage over OS/2 - this is the server/client model of GUI implementation. I
have written a couple of X Window apps and can say that the built-in network-
ability is something that both OS/2 and Windows 3.1 are simply missing. Kudos
to Microsoft to having a little foresight.

Of course, TODAY, I have to use OS/2. It's available, it's reliable, and the
functionality is fantastic (you never really undertand how bad the Program
Manager is until you've used the OS/2 Workplace Shell for a while). Give me an
NT with:
        Near flawless DOS compatibility (Like I've experienced OS/2 to be)
        A good GUI (again, the OS/2 WPS)
        Good performance with 8 meg (OS/2 wins here but still isn't quite good
                                        enough)
and maybe I'll consider it. I'll use the product that makes me the most productive.

--
*       Glenn Wasserman - Rutgers University - Computer Science         *

OS/2 DOS Compatibility

Post by Chris Wate » Fri, 11 Dec 1992 09:38:24

Quote:>I've been reading about shortcomings that OS/2 has in running DOS apps. What
>I would like to know is, which DOS apps can OS/2 NOT run? I've tried a
>bunch myself, and haven't found a SINGLE THING that won't run under OS/2.
>I'd like to know what will break OS/2. I certainly haven't found anything!

There's a list in the README file that comes with OS/2.  Basically,
anthing that:

1. requires low-level access to the hard-drive (e.g. Norton Utils),
2. uses VCPI (e.g. Rational Software's Instant-C 386), or
3. uses its own proprietary memory manager (e.g. one of the new
   Ultimas).

I've heard a *lot* of complaints about OS/2's level of DOS
compatibility, which is why I *seriously* question how well NT will be
received, since it's level of DOS compatibility is rumored to be greatly
inferior to OS/2's.  NT may well end up being OS/2 1.x all over
again--drooled over by the techno-weenies, and laughed at by the
commercial market.

Quote:>Of course, TODAY, I have to use OS/2. It's available, it's reliable, and the
>functionality is fantastic (you never really undertand how bad the Program
>Manager is until you've used the OS/2 Workplace Shell for a while). Give me an
>NT with:
>    Near flawless DOS compatibility (Like I've experienced OS/2 to be)
>    A good GUI (again, the OS/2 WPS)
>    Good performance with 8 meg (OS/2 wins here but still isn't quite good
>                                    enough)
>and maybe I'll consider it. I'll use the product that makes me the most
>productive.                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 ^^^^^^^^^^

Wiser words never done been spoke!  :-)

That *is* the bottom line, and it's why I'm using OS/2 today.
--
Chris Waters    | the insane don't | "Imaginary guitar notes [...] exist only

1. OS/2 2.0 vs OS/2 2.1 : Differences in DOS/Windows compatibility

OS/2 2.0 did have some bugs in the handling of DMA inside DOS/Windows
sessions.  OS/2 2.1 appears to have cleared up these problems.

--
Timothy F. Sipples       |READ the OS/2 FAQ List 2.1A, available from

of Chicago, 60637        |[Post to ONE newsgroup only AFTER reading the List.]

2. Linking a function to an existing .EXE

3. Diamond/DTC/Comptrade compatibility (Was "OS/2 and hardware compatibility")

4. Immediate need for Citrix Engineer

5. OS/2 compatibility with Windows/DOS stuff?

6. Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)

7. DOS Compatibility under OS/2 2.0

8. Books on Oracle

9. Future DOS compatibility under OS/2?

10. DOS Question: 6.2 and 2.1GA compatibility

11. Novell DOS 7 compatibility?

12. DOS compatibility

13. Dos Compatibility.