Warp 3 Shutdown

Post by Floyd L. Adams, Jr » Thu, 26 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am unable to get a clean shutdown or dual boot on a Cyrix 486 DX2 66.
The system locks up when it says to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL in shutdown and
when it says "System is rebooting" in dual boot.  Windows 95 is running
on the same partition. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Floyd Adams
Century Data Systems

Warp 3 Shutdown

Post by Petri I. Taimis » Thu, 26 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I am unable to get a clean shutdown or dual boot on a Cyrix 486 DX2 66.
>The system locks up when it says to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL in shutdown and
>when it says "System is rebooting" in dual boot.  Windows 95 is running
>on the same partition. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Any chance you could try if it happens with an Intel or AMD CPU too? C-A-D
hasn't worked properly here after I "upgraded" to cx486-80 and Promise
eide2300+ controller, but since it flushes the cache it's more or less the
same as real shutdown. With OS/2 I seldom need to reboot anyway but I don't
like reaching for the reset button though.

Brgds,

                   System Powered By Warp Engine

Warp 3 Shutdown

Post by Floyd L. Adams, Jr » Thu, 26 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am running a Pentium 75 at home.  I have no problems with shutting
down my system, and I use boot manager to switch between Win95 and WARP.
The Cyrix processor is the one I use at work (not by choice).

When I do a shutdown on the Cyrix processor, all files are cleaned up,
but I have to power down the system to reboot.  When attempting a dual
boot, the message "The system is rebooting" comes up, and then I have to
power down the system to boot back into Win95.  When doing a dual boot
back into Warp, OS/2 automatically runs check disk.

Floyd Adams

Warp 3 Shutdown

Post by John Summerfie » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

]>I am unable to get a clean shutdown or dual boot on a Cyrix 486 DX2 66.
]>The system locks up when it says to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL in shutdown and
]>when it says "System is rebooting" in dual boot.  Windows 95 is running
]>on the same partition. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

]Any chance you could try if it happens with an Intel or AMD CPU too? C-A-D
]hasn't worked properly here after I "upgraded" to cx486-80 and Promise
]eide2300+ controller, but since it flushes the cache it's more or less the
]same as real shutdown. With OS/2 I seldom need to reboot anyway but I don't
]like reaching for the reset button though.

CAD doesn't do a good job of saving the desktop.

Cheers

John Summerfield
Warped & Connected
Perth, Western Australia

Unsolicited sales messages cost you $US1000

Warp 3 Shutdown

Post by IdEgoE » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00

In reference to your C-A-D problem:

Have you checked the BIOS?  AMI BIOS has a setting which disables C-A-D;
whenever you try to do it, the OS/2 tries to reboot, but all it succeeds
in doing is freezing the system.

Warp 3 Shutdown

Post by Petri I. Taimis » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00

writes:

>]>I am unable to get a clean shutdown or dual boot on a Cyrix 486 DX2 66.
>]>The system locks up when it says to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL in shutdown and
>]>when it says "System is rebooting" in dual boot.  Windows 95 is running
>]>on the same partition. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

>]Any chance you could try if it happens with an Intel or AMD CPU too? C-A-D
>]hasn't worked properly here after I "upgraded" to cx486-80 and Promise
>]eide2300+ controller, but since it flushes the cache it's more or less the
>]same as real shutdown. With OS/2 I seldom need to reboot anyway but I don't
>]like reaching for the reset button though.

>CAD doesn't do a good job of saving the desktop.

No it doesn't (biting my twisted tongue). I just presumed I was having same
symptoms as Floyd where the system has already performed shutdown but when
C-A-D is supposed to reboot it just flushes the cache and stucks at "System
is rebooting". If Floyd's system doesn't perform shutdown at all he's got a
mild problem.

Brgds,

                   System Powered By Warp Engine

        Do you enjoy freedom of speech, opinion and religion?
                A lot of people aren't that lucky...
                        F R E E  T I B E T
                http://www.peacenet.org/ict/tibet.html

Warp 3 Shutdown

Post by Petri I. Taimis » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

writes:

>]>I am unable to get a clean shutdown or dual boot on a Cyrix 486 DX2 66.
>]>The system locks up when it says to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL in shutdown and
>]>when it says "System is rebooting" in dual boot.  Windows 95 is running
>]>on the same partition. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

>]Any chance you could try if it happens with an Intel or AMD CPU too? C-A-D
>]hasn't worked properly here after I "upgraded" to cx486-80 and Promise
>]eide2300+ controller, but since it flushes the cache it's more or less the
>]same as real shutdown. With OS/2 I seldom need to reboot anyway but I don't
>]like reaching for the reset button though.

>CAD doesn't do a good job of saving the desktop.

No it doesn't (biting my twisted tongue). I just presumed I was having same
symptoms as Floyd where the system has already performed shutdown but when
C-A-D is supposed to reboot it just flushes the cache and stucks at "System
is rebooting". If Floyd's system doesn't perform shutdown at all he's got a
mild problem.

Brgds,

                   System Powered By Warp Engine

        Do you enjoy freedom of speech, opinion and religion?
                A lot of people aren't that lucky...
                        F R E E  T I B E T
                http://www.peacenet.org/ict/tibet.html

1. Warp wont shutdown!

You may have an application that won't respond to the "kill" message sent
from OS/2 at shutdown time.  Try adding the following to config.sys:
SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY
and then re-boot and try to shut down again.  If you're lucky, the app
will not restart after making the above change.

2. HP 8100 80min cdr..HP's reply enclosed!!

3. OS/2 Warp automatic shutdown ?

4. Seeking MS Money Expert

5. Warp 3 Shutdown problem?

6. HELP!!WINDOWS95/MS I EXPLORER BUG??

7. WARP 4 shutdown problem

8. Win98 crashes after DirectCD install for RICOH MP6200S

9. WARP 4: SHUTDOWN Refuses to Work

10. Warp 4 Shutdown Hang

11. Shutdown popup and Shutdown lauchpad are not shutting down.

12. Shutdown botton won't shutdown

13. Shutdown Won't Shutdown, Netscape's Fault ?