Even I Was Amazed !

Post by Kenneth Fingerlo » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I've done this too.  Very Cool.  OS/2 is the only (as far as I know)
system
which will co-exist/co-operate (can't find the word I want).

Kenneth

> Hi All,
>         You will notice that this is cross posted.

>         Why was I amazed ???

>         Being the OS/2 Fan I am and doing the Novell CNE course, I recieved 2
> disks, 1 full of documentation the other containing the full Novell 4.11
> 1 or 2 user liscence version.

>         Going throught the disk with novell, I thought "hey that would be good
> to install on one of my computers, and get a network card for the other
> and play with novell at home".  But you don't even need to do that.

>         If you install the OS/2 version of Novell 4.11 you can run the server
> and the client on the same machine.  Yes that is right, I am running the
> Novell server (in the background) and using the OS/2
> requestor/os2/win-os2/dos to login into the server that is running on
> the same machine.

>         And both the client and the server happily use the same network card.
> (with IBM's TCP/IP as well)

>         How long did it take to install ??

>         About 30 mins at most, and that was to install the following.
>         1) OS/2 Netware Requestor - OS/2 Client 32 (sorta)
>         2) Novell Netware 4.11    - The server.

>         How does it run ?

>         Well as best as can be expected for a machine with only 32 mb of  ram.
> But it is VERY usable.  Even when using nwadin, os/2 requestor at the
> same time.

>         So if your doing your CNE, and you like the idea of being able to play
> around with your contexts, orgisational units, etc, without mucking up a
> whole network, then the above is the answer.

>         What's my Config ?

>         p133,  32mb Ram (5.7 gig, 500 to novell)

>         And I am seriously thinking of trying the server on a network and
> accessing it remotely from my desktop machine (which is running OS/2)
> and I will write and let you know how it goes (if I get around to it)

>         Regards

>         Paul
> --
> +--------------------------------------------------------+

> +--------------------------------------------------------+

> |  http://snowstorm.mp.rmit.edu.au/web/index.htm         |
> +--------------------------------------------------------+

Kenneth Fingerlos                                Computer Science Major
Networks & Systems Admin 21, 885-2702        Assist. Network
Administrator
University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho  83843           Member TeamOS/2

Even I Was Amazed !

Post by Paul Sno » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

[...]

Post by j.. » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi All,
>    You will notice that this is cross posted.

>    Why was I amazed ???

>    Being the OS/2 Fan I am and doing the Novell CNE course, I recieved 2
>disks, 1 full of documentation the other containing the full Novell 4.11
>1 or 2 user liscence version.

I just did a conversion from v. 3 to 4, got the same disk, and had the same experience,
no problem at all.  (P90, 32Mb, 1.2Gb HDD).  Good news for those that may want a
small business network file server without additional overheads.

Even I Was Amazed !

Post by Hansang B » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I've done this too.  Very Cool.  OS/2 is the only (as far as I know)
>system
>which will co-exist/co-operate (can't find the word I want).

What so cool about it?  NetWare 2.1x colud be run in a non-dedicated
mode w/ DOS!!! :)

For study purposes... fine, I have no objectsion.  In a production
environment?  No WAY.

Hansang Bae             Director of Network Operations, Eastern Region
Richey Systems          Main Office: (800) 776-5145   Ext 521

Specializing in Network Design/Troubleshooting and Protocol Analysis

Even I Was Amazed !

Post by a.. » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>    If you install the OS/2 version of Novell 4.11 you can run the server
>and the client on the same machine.  Yes that is right, I am running the
>Novell server (in the background) and using the OS/2
>requestor/os2/win-os2/dos to login into the server that is running on
>the same machine.

---------------+

Thanks for the post. I am in need for a server also, but cannot afford to fork $$
for a dedicated server PC.  Has anyone installed Warp server and Warp4.0 on the
same machine? Just  to compare... Any info is greatly appreciated!

             Arun

Even I Was Amazed !

Post by Arnold Arce & Sheri Harr » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Netware released a version of NetWare 3.11 specifically for OS/2 a few
years ago.  It was called, amazingly enough, NetWare for OS/2.  They
were aiming it at developers who needed instant access to both a
server and a workstation.  It would easily support 25 users, but they
didn't recommend more than that.  If you go to PC Magazine's homepage
(http://www.zdnet.com), you may find a review for it in their
archives.  Novell really didn't push this to the mass market.  I guess
they thought it was a niche product.  It's a good way to get a server
and workstation in one machine.  However, you do run the risk of
locking up the workstation and needing to reboot.  But for practice,
it's a good way to go.

For people wanting to use this as a practice setup, you may want to
set up a separate physical server, just to get the hands on of putting
them together, and to get the practice of wiring and stuff.  NetWare
3.x, 4.x will run comfortably on a 386DX/33 with 8 megs or so of RAM.
Putting together a separate server with the networking hardware will
probably cost you about $300-500, which is well worth it considering
that it's an investment in your career.  Better yet, if you're
wondering what to do with that motherboard you have in the closet
because you're now using a Pentium, then buy a new case and put that
board to use.

Personally, I have a 386DX/33 w/ 16MB RAM and a 540MB HD in it, and
NetWare 4.1 2 user license.  I'm using 10BASE-T on a LANTASTIC card
hub.  They don't make them anymore, but I'm sure you can get one for a
few bucks.  Network cards are cheaper than ever.  Kingston makes a
good card (I'm running 95 on it) and it only cost $35.  I have  a 3.11
and a 95 workstation and they both work great.

If you're serious about learning NetWare to boost your career, then
definitely make the investment.

(Sorry if I rambled a bit.  I think I answered two posts with this
one)

Arnold...

>Hi All,
>    If you install the OS/2 version of Novell 4.11 you can run the server
>and the client on the same machine.  Yes that is right, I am running the
>Novell server (in the background) and using the OS/2
>requestor/os2/win-os2/dos to login into the server that is running on
>the same machine.

Quote:>    And I am seriously thinking of trying the server on a network and

Post by John Summerfie » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

]>Hi All,
]>   You will notice that this is cross posted.

]>   Why was I amazed ???

]>   Being the OS/2 Fan I am and doing the Novell CNE course, I recieved 2
]>disks, 1 full of documentation the other containing the full Novell 4.11
]>1 or 2 user liscence version.

]I just did a conversion from v. 3 to 4, got the same disk, and had the same experience,
]no problem at all.  (P90, 32Mb, 1.2Gb HDD).  Good news for those that may want a
]small business network file server without additional overheads.

For file & print sharing in a small business environment I see no need for
    more tha Warp 4.

When a dedicated server is required, Warp Server with little more to learn
    (and better performance according to PC Week).

Cheers
John Summerfield
Warped & Connected
Perth, Western Australia

Unsolicited sales messages cost you $US1000

Even I Was Amazed !

Post by John Summerfie » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

]Thanks for the post. I am in need for a server also, but cannot afford to fork $$
]for a dedicated server PC.  Has anyone installed Warp server and Warp4.0 on the
]same machine? Just  to compare... Any info is greatly appreciated!

I have Warp Server here. Don't see any reason you'd want to destablise it
    with Warp 4.

Post by Cecil Walli » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >Hi All,
> > You will notice that this is cross posted.

> > Why was I amazed ???

> > Being the OS/2 Fan I am and doing the Novell CNE course, I recieved 2
> >disks, 1 full of documentation the other containing the full Novell 4.11
> >1 or 2 user liscence version.

> I just did a conversion from v. 3 to 4, got the same disk, and had

the same experience,

Quote:> no problem at all.  (P90, 32Mb, 1.2Gb HDD).  Good news for those
that may want a
> small business network file server without additional overheads.

Maybe good news if you've done a CNE, but I got hopelessly lost with
4.1 selecting the drivers and no help from the manual. I have gone
back to NFS in the meantime.

     Cecil Wallis.

Even I Was Amazed !

Post by Christopher McR » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> If you install the OS/2 version of Novell 4.11 you can run the server
> and the client on the same machine.  Yes that is right, I am running the
> Novell server (in the background) and using the OS/2
> requestor/os2/win-os2/dos to login into the server that is running on
> the same machine.

Yes, it is great isn't it :-)   We run a 250 user Netware Box (running
Netware v4.1 for OS/2). Having the client on the same machine allows me to
easily check if the server is running, and, when on the odd occasion it
abends, kill the process and restart it automagically, say nothing of the
benefits of having OS/2's sendmail server available to use with Mercury. I
recently found another useful benefit of using Netware for OS/2....Novell
doesn't have a TSA agent for NT, so if you want the Novell server to be able
to back up a NT client, you can't (unless you buy something expensive like
ArcServe). However, by running the OS/2 TSA agent and OS/2's Peer-Peer
client on the client side of the Netware for OS/2 server  viola!! TSA for
NT. You gotta love OS/2......

Cheers,

  -- Chris

School of Chemistry     /      \    Voice:     +61-2-850-8288
Macquarie University    \_.--._*    FAX:       +61-2-850-8313
Sydney  NSW  2109             v
Australia

The Ultimate Windows Bug Fix:  OS/2 with PROTECTONLY=YES!

Even I Was Amazed !

Post by James Kno » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>]>       Being the OS/2 Fan I am and doing the Novell CNE course, I recieved 2
>]>disks, 1 full of documentation the other containing the full Novell 4.11
>]>1 or 2 user liscence version.

>]I just did a conversion from v. 3 to 4, got the same disk, and had the same experience,
>]no problem at all.  (P90, 32Mb, 1.2Gb HDD).  Good news for those that may want a
>]small business network file server without additional overheads.

>For file & print sharing in a small business environment I see no need for
>    more tha Warp 4.

>When a dedicated server is required, Warp Server with little more to learn
>    (and better performance according to PC Week).

I can think of a situation where a business may wish to run Novell on a Warp
system.  They may be part of a larger Novell network using NDS, and locally
they need a server that can both file and print, using Novell, and also be an
apps server under OS/2, all in one box.

Even I Was Amazed !

Post by a.. » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>]Thanks for the post. I am in need for a server also, but cannot afford to fork $$
>]for a dedicated server PC.  Has anyone installed Warp server and Warp4.0 on the
>]same machine? Just  to compare... Any info is greatly appreciated!

>I have Warp Server here. Don't see any reason you'd want to destablise it
>    with Warp 4.

I gather you have both Warp server and Warp 4.0 running on the same machine?
Any performance degradation of either Warp 4.0 or Warp Server?

Regards

             Arun

1. Fix Packs - Am I am missing anything???

I am using Warp 3.0 (w/o windows code).  I have yet to apply any fixpacks.  Is there anything
important that I am missing?  The last time I tried to apply a fixpack, it screwed up winos2.
What is the best thing to do  - nothing or apply the latest fp.

2. Classless in-addr delegation

3. I'm amazed

4. Extremely rare MSX

5. amazing warp story

6. Trust between 2 domains in different forests

7. Still amazing after all these years

8. How do I change path "/usr/local/emacs/lib/emacs/19.xx/...."

9. I'm Amazed

10. I'm amazed that Tim still lies

11. I'm amazed Tim can hold down a job

12. Amazing! Undocumented OS/2 feature???

13. Try a better newsreader when traffic increases (was Re: Amazing how the