Technical Support Magazine Slams NT

Post by Ulrich Guenth » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: June 1996 Technical Support Magazine slams NT.

: The 6 page article on page 49 discusses open systems, Unix and MVS and
: on page 52 launches into...

: "Indeed, there are many who say 'Forget about Unix, forget about MVS.
: Microsoft's Windows NT is the system of the future!'  Such naive
: thinking prevailed at National Westminister Bank of England, resutling
: in a horror story of major proportion."

: The article continues with "NT HORROR STORY" as the chapter heading.
: The story details the NatWest fiasco and cites the Commonwealth Bank of
: Australia (CBA) disaster.

: They discovered the NatWest disaster while looking for an NT success.
: They wanted to verify NT performance figures and were directed to
: NatWest by Microsoft.  When they contacted NatWest they found the "NT
: project was in serious trouble."

: Lots of good info on NT in this one.

: It closes with... "ACTS is still searching for a legitimate NT
: implementation running hundreds of users, doing mission critical work."

: It seems that such a beast doesn't exist.

: I will post more info on this on the Kiyo web page.

A few of those stories and OS/2 will replace NT.
If it just ran WIN32 apps.

*****   Ulrich Guenther, Tufts Univ., Biochemistry ****

Technical Support Magazine Slams NT

Post by Neil Zampel » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Guenther)13 Jun 1996 16:10:26 GMT writes:
:>
[...]
:>--
:>*******************************************************
:>*****   Ulrich Guenther, Tufts Univ., Biochemistry ****

:>*******************************************************

Actually, from what I read in either Computerworld, or Information Week,
NatWest is more interested in IBM's adding Win32 API support to OS/400.  Since
they already got burned with NT, and have all these Win32 NT applications
created, it would make better sense for them to install AS/400 boxes, which
can handle the transaction flow, and be able to keep the software they spent
thousands (millions ??) to have created.

While I'd like to see them move to OS/2 .. in reality, the move to an
AS/400:OS/400 solution makes more financial sense, it provides the stability
and support for hundreds of users, and allows them to use the existing apps.

Neil Zampella

Why do I use OS/2 ... I like having a choice !!

Technical Support Magazine Slams NT

Post by Nick Ma » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

-> Subject: Re: Technical Support Magazine Slams NT
->
[...]
-> --
-> *******************************************************
-> *****   Ulrich Guenther, Tufts Univ., Biochemistry ****

-> *******************************************************

OS/2 WILL replace NT and THANK GOD it doesn't run the FEW
Win32 apps on the market.  They are crap.

Technical Support Magazine Slams NT

Post by Edward N. Lege » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Nick, please post facts and not your incorrect personal feelings. You know
you are lying in your post and can't back it up.

--
Edward N. Leger

The TruthMan has arrived!!!

> -> Subject: Re: Technical Support Magazine Slams NT
> ->

> -> : June 1996 Technical Support Magazine slams NT.
> ->
> -> : The 6 page article on page 49 discusses open systems, Unix and MVS
> -> and : on page 52 launches into...
> ->
> -> : "Indeed, there are many who say 'Forget about Unix, forget about MV
> -> : Microsoft's Windows NT is the system of the future!'  Such naive
> -> : thinking prevailed at National Westminister Bank of England, resutl
> -> : in a horror story of major proportion."
> ->
> -> : The article continues with "NT HORROR STORY" as the chapter heading
> -> : The story details the NatWest fiasco and cites the Commonwealth
> -> Bank of : Australia (CBA) disaster.
> ->
> -> : They discovered the NatWest disaster while looking for an NT
> -> success. : They wanted to verify NT performance figures and were
> -> directed to : NatWest by Microsoft.  When they contacted NatWest
> -> they found the "NT : project was in serious trouble."
> ->
> -> : Lots of good info on NT in this one.
> ->
> -> : It closes with... "ACTS is still searching for a legitimate NT
> -> : implementation running hundreds of users, doing mission critical
> -> work."
> -> : It seems that such a beast doesn't exist.
> ->
> -> : I will post more info on this on the Kiyo web page.
> ->
> ->
> ->
> ->
> -> A few of those stories and OS/2 will replace NT.
> -> If it just ran WIN32 apps.
> -> --
> -> *******************************************************
> -> *****   Ulrich Guenther, Tufts Univ., Biochemistry ****

> -> *******************************************************

> OS/2 WILL replace NT and THANK GOD it doesn't run the FEW
> Win32 apps on the market.  They are crap.

1. Technical Support Magazine Slams NT

:>
:>This is not to draw FLAMES but I do need to ask why NatWest and
:>Commonwealth flamed? What design flaw in WinNT causes the problems? Is it
:>the OS or just that the organizations cratered? I would like to know so I
:>can design a test to duplicate the problem and as a test for other OS's to
:>see just how well they hold up.
I think it's the OS.

1) Microsoft itself was involved in this
2) OS/2 1.3 is doing the job for years now, but the managers believed the FUD
from MS to go with NT.
The people who decided about that are fired now if I'm not mistaken.

Greetings,

  Erik Hendrix
  [TEAM OS/2]

 Ways to contact me :

 CompuServe :  101613,56
 Fidonet    : 2:292/880.7

This is only MY opinion and it DOESN'T reflect in any way the opinion of the
company
I work for the GREATEST company in the world : IBM
that creates the GREATEST OS : OS/2

2. 3c -- UNIX/Win95

3. ADI - Technical Support - LAN - NT - AS400 - Client Server

4. steering servo???

5. new magazine(Boot) SLAMS os/2!!

6. print dw function problem

7. Paying for Technical Support (Re: CRAZY OS/2 Tech Support

8. End of list error

9. Paying for Technical Support (Re: CRAZY OS/2 Tech Support Policy!!!)

10. OS/2 vs. NT technical issue

11. Technical Support Please...

12. OS/2 Technical Support Authorization?

13. Paying for Technical Support (Re: CRAZY OS/2 Tech Suppor