Mesa needs an uninstall

Post by Steve Snyd » Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Mesa (*all* applications, for that matter) needs an uninstall feature.

After playing with Mesa v2.04 for a few hours, I wanted to get rid of it.
Mesa's FAQ file has no mention of how the product can be uninstalled.  I
ended up using the the installation's delete-existing-and-reinstall to
remove Mesa, then aborted the reinstall.  This got rid of the directories
created by the original installation, but left references to Mesa in my
CONFIG.SYS (LIBPATH and HELP environment variables) and INI files (the *.M2
file association).

***** Steve Snyder *****

Mesa needs an uninstall

Post by Steve Snyd » Sat, 28 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Mesa (*all* applications, for that matter) needs an uninstall feature.

>After playing with Mesa v2.04 for a few hours, I wanted to get rid of it.
>Mesa's FAQ file has no mention of how the product can be uninstalled.  I
>ended up using the the installation's delete-existing-and-reinstall to
>remove Mesa, then aborted the reinstall.  This got rid of the directories
>created by the original installation, but left references to Mesa in my
>CONFIG.SYS (LIBPATH and HELP environment variables) and INI files (the *.M2
>file association).

Pardon me for responding to my own post, but....

I just noticed the 2 templates that the Mesa v2.04 installation placed in
my Templates folder.  Those also ought to be removed as part of the
uninstall process I am requesting.

So, the uninstall should remove:

 1. Mesa directory structure
 2. References to Mesa in the CONFIG.SYS.
 3. References to Mesa in the OS2.INI file.
 4. Mesa worksheet templates.

Thank you.

***** Steve Snyder *****

Mesa needs an uninstall

Post by Rick Stron » Thu, 02 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Sadly enough w95 includes such a thing - a central installation program,
>and subsequently a central de-installation program.
>There *should* be a PM app as well, that's as easy to
>use as w95's central installation program, but alas we are again left in
>the dark.

Unimaint (OS/2 sys maintenance utilities) has an Uninstall facility, you might want to check it out.

Rick Strong

Mesa needs an uninstall

Post by Michael Per » Thu, 02 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Sadly enough w95 includes such a thing - a central installation program,
>and subsequently a central de-installation program.

>Funnily enough, there appears to be one that is installed with Fixpak 5
>and above - it's called instaide.exe, and is located in the \os2\install
>directory.  Unfortunately 1) nobody knows about it; 2) nobody uses it; 3)
>it's broken on my laptop now with fixpak 12.  I have no other information
>about it other than what you see when you run it; it's a text mode app so
>don't expect much.  There *should* be a PM app as well, that's as easy to
>use as w95's central installation program, but alas we are again left in
>the dark.

>  Denis Cheong                                   |        `Today I am

>                                                 |          or an eye'
>  University of Western Australia                |
>  Nedlands, Western Australia         Team-OS/2! |       - Suzanne Vega -

I use unimaint to uninstall OS2 applications and it works quite well. Simply by
dragging an icon or a drive object it will flush the program and any ini entries
it contains.

Michael Perry
***Team OS/2***
Get Warped!!!

Mesa needs an uninstall

Post by Kai Uwe Romm » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Mesa (*all* applications, for that matter) needs an uninstall feature.

>After playing with Mesa v2.04 for a few hours, I wanted to get rid of it.
>Mesa's FAQ file has no mention of how the product can be uninstalled.  I
>ended up using the the installation's delete-existing-and-reinstall to
>remove Mesa, then aborted the reinstall.  This got rid of the directories
>created by the original installation, but left references to Mesa in my
>CONFIG.SYS (LIBPATH and HELP environment variables) and INI files (the *.M2
>file association).

Just re-run the Mesa 2 install program. It has an uninstall option.

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel      ARS Computer & Consulting GmbH, Muenchen, Germany *

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams

Mesa needs an uninstall

Post by Antonio Santamar » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

|> > Unimaint (OS/2 sys maintenance utilities) has an Uninstall facility, you might want to check it out.
|>
|> That being said, it should be a function of the operating system, and not
|> an external add-on.  This is going back to the windows 3.1 days where

I thought the OS/2 did have some kind of standard install/uninstall facility.
I have seen quite a few programs used the exact same procedure.  It is
somewhat plain (just a dialog with Install and Uninstall under an Options
menu), but did the trick.

Can someone clarify if this is part of OS/2, or just some external program
that is being used?

Mesa needs an uninstall

Post by Michael Per » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>> >Sadly enough w95 includes such a thing - a central installation program,
>> >and subsequently a central de-installation program.

>> >There *should* be a PM app as well, that's as easy to
>> >use as w95's central installation program, but alas we are again left in
>> >the dark.

>> Unimaint (OS/2 sys maintenance utilities) has an Uninstall facility, you might want to check it out.

>That being said, it should be a function of the operating system, and not
>an external add-on.  This is going back to the windows 3.1 days where
>uninstallers made their fame.  The program that put it on, should be able
>to take it off again.  And if you want usability and consistency in
>putting it on, you make it a function of the operating system.  (Somebody
>got it right)

>  Denis Cheong                                   |        `Today I am

>                                                 |          or an eye'
>  University of Western Australia                |
>  Nedlands, Western Australia         Team-OS/2! |       - Suzanne Vega -

Lacking the availability of operating systems to include uninstallers, the use
of UniMaint not only includes a nice uninstall package but also provides a whole
host of system backup, repair, and other options.  If the Operating System does
not provide the uninstall capacity, I would certainly find one elsewhere.  The
one with UniMaint works acceptably, actually quite well, in uninstalling os2
programs.
I would welcome an uninstaller that comes with the OS. however.

Michael Perry
***Team OS/2***
Get Warped!!!

Mesa needs an uninstall

Post by Neilen Mara » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> I use unimaint to uninstall OS2 applications and it works quite well. Simply by
> dragging an icon or a drive object it will flush the program and any ini entries
> it contains.
> Michael Perry
> ***Team OS/2***
> Get Warped!!!

I WANT THIS!  Where can I find it?  PLEASE!!

Cheers
Neilen

Mesa needs an uninstall

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>> I use unimaint to uninstall OS2 applications and it works quite well. Simply by
>> dragging an icon or a drive object it will flush the program and any ini entries
>> it contains.

>> Michael Perry
>> ***Team OS/2***
>> Get Warped!!!

>I WANT THIS!  Where can I find it?  PLEASE!!

>Cheers
>Neilen

It is commercial software and available at SoftTouch Systems, INC (405/947-8085).
Pretty nice add on package for doing all sorts of things including ini maintenance
and repair, desktop backup in a multitude of ways, and the mentioned uninstall
program.
Its saved my skin a few times.

Michael Perry
***Team OS/2***
Get Warped!!!

1. I'm considering Mesa as an adjunct to Excel97, what are Mesa advantages?

The demo I downloaded would not import hardly anything...and I'm
concerned that this product is effectively "orphanware".  Could any of
you who own *both* products explain the relative merits of each
spreadsheet? How do you go about getting the info into Mesa?

Thank You,

ArtDoyle

2. PVCS 6.0 lock by promo group behavior changed

3. PR: Sundial Systems announces Mesa 2 2.1.6 and OpenDoc versions of Mesa 2

4. FTP for Pine

5. Uninstalling IBMWORKS w/o uninstalling PIM, how?

6. documentum Q: how to open a dialog?

7. Help! I need to uninstall

8. USR codes vs. ISP codes?

9. HELP: Need copy of Selective Uninstall

10. Need help to uninstall HPFS386

11. HELP!! Need help uninstalling On-Track Disk Mangler

12. HELP needed to uninstall TOUCH CONTROL PANEL

13. Need to remove/uninstall: