Dvorak next to quit?

Post by Jay Tr » Sat, 25 Jul 1992 22:54:16

Anyone see the Dvorak column in the August '92 PC Mag?  Something must be
seriously wrong!!!  He raves about OS/2 2.0.  I just don't get it anymore.

 Jay Troy        Delaware Valley Solution Systems, Inc.
                 Computing Solutions for Business and Industry
                 P.O. Box 190 // Claymont, DE 19703 // (302)798-DVSS

--

Dvorak next to quit?

Post by Kevin Hod » Sun, 26 Jul 1992 06:35:24

>Anyone see the Dvorak column in the August '92 PC Mag?  Something must be
>seriously wrong!!!  He raves about OS/2 2.0.  I just don't get it anymore.

Actually, I think it's pretty simple.  He installed OS/2 on his machine
and then he tried it.  That done, there was little else he could do but
sing its praises.  Wouldn't it be interesting if more journalists were
to take such a radical approach as to actually try the product?

--
Kevin A. Hodge                |   "I'll show you a life of the mind!"
Engineering Psychology        |            Madman Mundt

Dvorak next to quit?

Post by Luc Bauwe » Sun, 26 Jul 1992 11:12:42

>Anyone see the Dvorak column in the August '92 PC Mag?  Something must be
>seriously wrong!!!  He raves about OS/2 2.0.  I just don't get it anymore.

He jumped on the OS/2 bandwagon quite a while ago, actually.  Was it
in March or April?

That's the whole point  about columnists: they got to be able to
smell the wind before the public at large; he did.

Which leads me to my next point: I don't believe that those magazines'
biases are primarily related to announcers.  Rather, they are trying
hard to print out what they think their readers want to hear.

Circulation is the name of the game.  You got circulation, you'll get
announcers.

(And BTW, that's why the press is so lousy as a whole, while individual
journalists may actually be great...)

Cater to the largest common denominator; don't offend anybody, especially
the mainstream.  Tastelss and colorless, insipid.

Luc B

Dvorak next to quit?

Post by Tim Purv » Mon, 27 Jul 1992 01:37:10

>Anyone see the Dvorak column in the August '92 PC Mag?  Something must be
>seriously wrong!!!  He raves about OS/2 2.0.  I just don't get it anymore.

Sorta makes Zacherman look like a lier, no?

Twho theories:

1) This weeks PCMAG is very pro OS/2. ZD did this to make Zacherman look the
fool. And to prove that he was not censored.

2) Zacherman, was just doing a publicity stunt.

Dvorak next to quit?

Post by Alan Balla » Tue, 28 Jul 1992 05:53:20

Quote:>>Anyone see the Dvorak column in the August '92 PC Mag?  Something must be
>>seriously wrong!!!  He raves about OS/2 2.0.  I just don't get it
>>anymore.
>Sorta makes Zacherman look like a lier, no?

Zachmann (not Zacherman) has said repeatedly that his complaints are
with PC Week, not PC Magazine.  He writes for both mags under one
contract with ZD, so his problems with the PC Week editors have resulted in
his terminating the contract with Ziff.
--

University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-822-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6T 1Z2  |      Fax: 604-822-5116

1. How the "new IBM" assisted John C. Dvorak

From an interview with John C. Dvorak, accompanying a book review of
"Dvorak's Guide to OS/2" by Bob Ivano in the Boston Computer Society's
BCS Magazine, December 1993:

BI:  The book touts OS/2 considerably.
JCD: I think OS/2 needs all the touting it can get.... you've got to beat the
     drum if you want people to even look at it....
BI:  What was IBM's role in the book?
JCD: Mostly to pass around a lot of paperwork through its legal division
     for approval and to get the IBMers to help us.  We only got permission
     to do the book about three weeks after it was in print.  It's
     ridiculous.  I won't do any more books with IBM.  And if I work with any
     IBMers it's on their own time.
BI:  The bureaucracy was too great?
JCD: It was a joke.  It cost me too much in legal fees.  I had my lawyers
     and their lawyers going back and forth about what we can and cannot
     do.  If you read their documents, you pretty much can't do anything.

This sure sounds like the classic "old IBM" corporate culture to me.
Outsiders like Dvorak are perceived as intrinsically dangerous and
threatening; IBM is obviously more concerned with protecting itself against
Dvorak than assisting him. It's IBM's divine mission to present IBM's
divine plan directly to high-ranking executives in big corporations;
there's no need for loose cannons like Dvorak to present who-knows-what
to millions of wee little software developers, most of whom aren't even in
the Fortune 500.

If there are any books about OS/2 that need to be written
or published, IBM is fully capable of writing and publishing them.
Why would anyone want to go to Waldenbooks when you can just order
document number SY0328-300-R00-1089 from your IBM representative or
the IBM branch office serving your locality?

--Dan Smith

--
Daniel P. B. Smith

2. What is wrong here?

3. U.S. Dvorak Simplified Keyboard support

4. art deco font question

5. dvorak, pc magazine

6. Creating custom web templates

7. Dvorak on OS/2

8. Graphics options for 2100 server

9. Dvorak on SVGA support

10. John Dvorak's OS/2 Prophecy

11. Anyone know how to use a DVORAK kbd in Warp?

12. BETA: Need about 5 for Dvorak test for Type/2 Typing Tutor

13. DVORAK Keyboard Layout Program?