Future DOS compatibility under OS/2?

Post by Malcolm Carlo » Fri, 24 Jan 1992 03:51:14

I've been hearing rumors lately that the next version of OS/2 will offer
"full DOS compatibility".  Does this mean that I'll be able to run DOS
applications directly under OS/2 (e.g., from "OS/2 full screen"), or that
I'll be able to run DOS applications under the DOS window which currently
don't run properly there?

                                        UUCP:      unr!malc

Post by Timothy F. Sippl » Fri, 24 Jan 1992 05:23:00

>I've been hearing rumors lately that the next version of OS/2 will offer
>"full DOS compatibility".  Does this mean that I'll be able to run DOS
>applications directly under OS/2 (e.g., from "OS/2 full screen"), or that
>I'll be able to run DOS applications under the DOS window which currently
>don't run properly there?

This topic is quite well discussed in the OS/2 Frequently Asked
Questions List, so you might want to grab a copy.  Please mail me if
you have trouble getting it and/or if it doesn't answer your questions
fully.
--
Timothy F. Sipples          Keeper of the OS/2 Frequently Asked Questions

Dept. of Economics          130.57.4.1, directory os2/faq, or via netmail

Future DOS compatibility under OS/2?

Post by Larry Margoli » Fri, 24 Jan 1992 07:59:20

Quote:> I've been hearing rumors lately that the next version of OS/2 will offer
> "full DOS compatibility".  Does this mean that I'll be able to run DOS
> applications directly under OS/2 (e.g., from "OS/2 full screen"), or that
> I'll be able to run DOS applications under the DOS window which currently
> don't run properly there?

In OS/2 1.x, you get a single full-screen "DOS box" which runs many
DOS programs.

In OS/2 2.0, you can create as many windowed or full-screen VDMs
(Virtual DOS Machines) as you like.  You can also change a windowed VDM
to a full-screen one, and vice versa.  A VDM can be running OS/2 2.0's
DOS emulation, which will run many more DOS programs than the 1.3 DOS
box, and which includes support for EMS, XMS, and DPMI.  Or, you can
actually "boot" another version of DOS inside the VDM - from DOS 1.0
to Dr DOS.

If you attempt to run a DOS program from an OS/2 session, the system will
suspend the OS/2 session and fire up a DOS session to execute the
command.  When it's done, you go back to the OS/2 session.

Post by Dave Briccet » Fri, 24 Jan 1992 14:41:42

: I've been hearing rumors lately that the next version of OS/2 will offer
: "full DOS compatibility".  Does this mean that I'll be able to run DOS
: applications directly under OS/2 (e.g., from "OS/2 full screen"), or that
: I'll be able to run DOS applications under the DOS window which currently
: don't run properly there?

It probably means the latter but the former is also true.
--

Dave Briccetti, Owner, Dave Briccetti & Associates
OS/2 Developer/Consultant

Post by david parso » Fri, 24 Jan 1992 16:44:57

|If you attempt to run a DOS program from an OS/2 session, the system will
|suspend the OS/2 session and fire up a DOS session to execute the
|command.  When it's done, you go back to the OS/2 session.

    Cool.  Is this from any os/2 session or just sessions inside PM? Does
the DosExec() system call do this for you? (if so, I think I know of one
person who's gonna start digging around for a copy of 2.0)

                __

Future DOS compatibility under OS/2?

Post by Turgut Kalfaogl » Sat, 25 Jan 1992 00:00:01

I have OS/2 2.0 LA, and it works with everything I could find. The list
includes: Plain applications....DOS device driver for a network card...,
DOS compilers.. games... Windows applications... I even managed to run
Windows 3.0 in a window :)  everything works.. the only thing I found
that failed was: DKBPRO.EXE - this is the DKB ray tracer, compiled
with Intel's protected-mode 32-bit compiler.. For some reason, it
crashes things totally.  Regards, -turgut

Future DOS compatibility under OS/2?

Post by Anthony J Colli » Sat, 25 Jan 1992 01:28:27

Does someone know of a driver available for a CHINON CD ROM (CDX 431)
under the OS/2 1.3 EE?  Any info is appreciated.

Post by Larry Margoli » Sat, 25 Jan 1992 04:10:02

> |If you attempt to run a DOS program from an OS/2 session, the system will
> |suspend the OS/2 session and fire up a DOS session to execute the
> |command.  When it's done, you go back to the OS/2 session.

>     Cool.  Is this from any os/2 session or just sessions inside PM?

It works from a windowed or full-screen OS/2 command prompt.

Quote:> Does the DosExec() system call do this for you? (if so, I think I know
> of one person who's gonna start digging around for a copy of 2.0)

I don't know; I'd tend to suspect that it's CMD.EXE.  But of course, you
can exec CMD.EXE, passing it your command as a parameter.

(I just tried this from an EPM command shell window, and got into a
DOS editor from an EPM edit window!)

Post by David R. Gill » Sat, 25 Jan 1992 04:57:56

>: I've been hearing rumors lately that the next version of OS/2 will offer
>: "full DOS compatibility".  Does this mean that I'll be able to run DOS
>: applications directly under OS/2 (e.g., from "OS/2 full screen"), or that
>: I'll be able to run DOS applications under the DOS window which currently
>: don't run properly there?

Something I've noticed:

I have an application that comes in two flavors:  DOS and OS/2.  Not family,
two seperate EXEs.  I've been using them both, in and out of OS/2.  What I've
noticed is that I've been using the wrong EXE!  I've been giving OS/2 the
path to the DOS EXE.  OS/2 has been automatically leading up a DOS session,
running the program, and dumping me back into OS/2 without a hitch!

I'm impressed.  This is the kind of integration that OS/2 needs.  Now lets
just see this throughout the entire system, and OS/2 can't lose.

-Dave

--

Occidental College
1600 Campus Road               <This space intentionally left blank>

1. Adding an inexpensive CD for future OS/2 compatibility

I had a question about upgrading my office machine a few weeks ago, and
got some great advice.  Now I've got another question about upgrading a
home machine.  I've got a machine that I want to add a CD-ROM drive to for
DOS use right now.  The purpose of the CD-ROM is strictly software
installation, no multimedia or anything.  A double-speed CD-ROM drive
should be more than adequate, I figure, since the usage will be mainly
one-time propositions (if installing is slow, so what - that doesn't
affect usage speed).  Eventually, I also want to convert the machine to
OS/2 use, but only after I add more memory, which I don't have money for
now (it's only got 4 Meg RAM).  And obviously, I'd like the CD-ROM to work
under OS/2 at that future time.

The machine has 2 IDE hard drives, so my impression is that this means I
can't use an IDE CD-ROM (unless I get a fancy IDE controller that can
handle more than two drives).  The machine has no VLB or PCI slots, we're
talking ISA.  The less I spend on the CD-ROM drive (and any interface card
needed), the sooner I'll have enough money to add memory and OS/2.  I do
want to avoid the used route, however - this machine is used by my wife
also, and I want anything I add to be fully warranteed by the manufacturer,
just in case.  Recommendations?  E-mail to me preferably, or post in this
news group, and I'll get it.  Thanks!

P.S.  Recommendations can be brands and/or vendors, but if a vendor,
it has to be an established mail order place or within a few (<4) hours
drive of Lincoln, Nebraska!

"For we are not beaten when something better is offered to us but we learn."
          -  Cyprian of Carthage, Letter to Quintus, ca. 256 A.D.

2. zyxel 2864IU and voice software.

3. PC and future compatibility????

4. Cardinal 2400 Modems: Unable to Download/Upload Files

5. Future of OS/2Guy - WAS Re: The future of OS/2??

6. I Mail for Win3.1 Loginproblem

7. OS/2 2.0 vs OS/2 2.1 : Differences in DOS/Windows compatibility

8. Is there a name for that backwards apostrophe thing?

9. Diamond/DTC/Comptrade compatibility (Was "OS/2 and hardware compatibility")

10. Wardell's "OS/2 Past, Present, Future Part 3 (The Future)"

11. OS/2 compatibility with Windows/DOS stuff?

12. OS/2 DOS Compatibility

13. DOS Compatibility under OS/2 2.0