OS/2 2.1 vs windows CD ROM

Post by michae.. » Fri, 28 May 1993 16:48:56

I heard that OS2 2.1 had multimedia support, since I am going to buy Toshiba
3401B and PAS16, I would like to find out if I still have to run aspi4dos.sys
aspicd.sys, mscdex.exe in order to use MPC CDROM under os2-win. (I currently
have Adaptec 1542B hook to Quantum 425S).

thanks

michael_h

OS/2 2.1 vs windows CD ROM

Post by Timothy F. Sippl » Sat, 29 May 1993 10:03:54

>I heard that OS2 2.1 had multimedia support, since I am going to buy Toshiba
>3401B and PAS16, I would like to find out if I still have to run aspi4dos.sys
>aspicd.sys, mscdex.exe in order to use MPC CDROM under os2-win. (I currently
>have Adaptec 1542B hook to Quantum 425S).

No.

Just hook up the CD-ROM to your existing Adaptec, and away you go with
OS/2 2.1.

--
Timothy F. Sipples       |READ the OS/2 FAQ List 2.0L, available from

of Chicago, 60637        |[Post to ONE newsgroup only AFTER reading the List.]

OS/2 2.1 vs windows CD ROM

Post by Henry J. Co » Sun, 13 Jun 1993 05:43:47

   >I heard that OS2 2.1 had multimedia support, since I am going to buy Toshiba
   >3401B and PAS16, I would like to find out if I still have to run aspi4dos.sys
   >aspicd.sys, mscdex.exe in order to use MPC CDROM under os2-win. (I currently
   >have Adaptec 1542B hook to Quantum 425S).

   No.

   Just hook up the CD-ROM to your existing Adaptec, and away you go with
   OS/2 2.1.

   --
   Timothy F. Sipples       |READ the OS/2 FAQ List 2.0L, available from

   of Chicago, 60637        |[Post to ONE newsgroup only AFTER reading the List.]

        Not so fast, you still have to install the driver for the CD-Rom.

        (20 Floppy switches under the Dec Beta later...)

        My suggestion is to get MS-Windows Multi-Media CDs instead of
Dos MMCDs, as the windows programs can be fooled into using your OS/2
printer drivers.

        Note that a GNU CD can be a big help with the Hobbes CD, as most
Gnu and Unix Ports lack demo files and extensive docs.  (Install the native
product and then loadup on the extra bits from an Unix CD).
--

        "If these Vulcans are an offshoot of the Romulan race that have
retreated from their emotions into the pleasant paradoxes of pure logic,

1. os/2 2.1 cd-rom vs floppy

Howdy!

I do not have own a CD-ROM, and I don't think I will have the money to
buy one for the near future, but I am planning to get the CD-ROM version
of OS/2 V2.1 since I know someone who has a CD-ROM and that I can create
the installation floppies (both 3.5" and 5.25") out of the CD.  Not to
mention that CD-ROM is cheaper and I have plenty of spare disks laying
around.

I have the following questions I would like to ask:

-if I compare the disk set that I have created with the CD-ROM, vs. the
 the set in the OS/2 diskette package, would they be *exactly* the same
 or would the CD-created set contains extra softwares on it?

-would the extra softwares that people mentioned here (eg. motion clips,
 sound files, etc.) would be installed to the HD only if OS/2 is
 installed from the CD-ROM?

-do these extra softwares require a CD-ROM drive in order to operate?

-would anyone here object me from buying the CD-ROM version and instead
 I should stick with the diskette version?

Regards,

-----------------Ming Chan------------------

  Fidonet:  1:221/401 (UFP BBS)

 * DeLuxe2/386 1.25 #6356 * Thou shalt not admit adultery.
--
CRS Online - Toronto, Ontario
416-213-6002/213-6003

2. RS6000 and slow X

3. OS/2 2.1: CD-ROM vs. disk

4. Visual Basic Proxy Server

5. OS/2 2.1 3.5" Sell/Trade, Wanted: OS/2 2.1 CD-Rom

6. VS.Net installation fails with DVD version

7. OS/2 2.1 for Windows CD-ROM

8. Disable Logons using password

9. Creative Labs CD ROM driver for OS/2 2.1 for Windows

10. 2.1 Floppies vs. CD-ROM

11. SCSI CD-ROM drives vs non-SCSI CD-ROM drives

12. OS/2 vs Windows for CD-ROM apps

13. OS/2 2.1 vs. OS/2 For Windows