Wanted: Comm/Telnet program with TEK4010 graphics mode

Wanted: Comm/Telnet program with TEK4010 graphics mode

Post by d.. » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 07:08:57

        I'm looking for a simple comm/telnet program that can work under
Sun's PCNFS to provide standard VT100 terminal emulation over TCP/IP *and*
do Tektronix 4010/4014 graphics. I don't care about all the other fancy stuff,
likes scripts, file transfer, etc, etc.
        I know about Smarterm by Persoft, but they want $250+ for it, and it
has a lot of stuff we don't need. I know about Dynacomm, but that is also $200+
and only does REGIS, not Tek4010.
        Any ideas ? Any shareware programs that might meet this need ? OS/2
solutions welcome too. Thanks.
(I suppose I could run XTERM but that really seems like a lot of excess
baggage).
                        Cheers,
                        Dan Ts'o                713-798-3331
                        Div. Neuroscience       FAX: 713-798-3897
                        Baylor College of Medicine

Post by Dave Thol » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 09:29:08

>    I'm looking for a simple comm/telnet program that can work under
> Sun's PCNFS to provide standard VT100 terminal emulation over TCP/IP *and*
> do Tektronix 4010/4014 graphics. I don't care about all the other fancy stuff,
> likes scripts, file transfer, etc, etc.
>    I know about Smarterm by Persoft, but they want $250+ for it, and it
> has a lot of stuff we don't need. I know about Dynacomm, but that is also
> $200+ and only does REGIS, not Tek4010.
>    Any ideas ? Any shareware programs that might meet this need ? OS/2
> solutions welcome too. Thanks.
> (I suppose I could run XTERM but that really seems like a lot of excess
> baggage).

There was a PM version of Kermit that did Tek 4014 emulation.  My impression
is that it was a beta that never went golden, but it does exist.  I even use
it from time to time.

Post by Softroni » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 01:15:10

[...]

I've got what you're looking for...
Softerm Plus for Windows.  We do DEC graphics emulations, (with the
Tektronics 4014 as a personality)  softerm plus is the scaled down
version of our full package Softerm Modular.  The Plus version only runs

they can give technical specs as well as sell the product.  Technical
Assistance is available via the net as well as Compuserve, AOL, and the

Dennis Bazell - Softronics Tech Assistance

Post by Dan Ts' » Mon, 12 Sep 1994 00:35:27

)       I'm looking for a simple comm/telnet program that can work under
)Sun's PCNFS to provide standard VT100 terminal emulation over TCP/IP *and*
)do Tektronix 4010/4014 graphics. I don't care about all the other fancy stuff,
)likes scripts, file transfer, etc, etc.
)       I know about Smarterm by Persoft, but they want $250+ for it, and it
)has a lot of stuff we don't need. I know about Dynacomm, but that is also $200+
)and only does REGIS, not Tek4010.

        I found another possibility: Wollongong's product called Pathway Access
TCP/IP for Windows apparently contains a TEK 4010 terminal emulator. Can anyone
comment on how good this product is, either specifically the terminal emulator
or the whole package in general ? Any recent reviews ?
        Thanks.

                        Cheers,
                        Dan Ts'o                713-798-3331
                        Div. Neuroscience       FAX: 713-798-3897
                        Baylor College of Medicine

Wanted: Comm/Telnet program with TEK4010 graphics mode

Post by Barr » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 21:03:50

Quote:>        I found another possibility: Wollongong's product called Pathway

Access>TCP/IP for Windows apparently contains a TEK 4010 terminal emulator.
Can anyone>comment on how good this product is, either specifically the
terminal emulator>or the whole package in general ? Any recent reviews ?

Quote:>        Thanks.
>                        Cheers,
>                        Dan Ts'o                713-798-3331

The only comment I can make is that they must be fairly unresponsive. I called
for their demo disk. I received it pretty fast. I had some questions and they
listed an internet e-mail address to write to with any questions. Some 3 or so
weeks later, I have never received a reply. I tried to call with some
questions (my dime) and after being switched around a few times to the correct
person, all I got was an "He's not in today" If this is how this company gives
support, I don't care if their product is good or bad, they aren't going to
see my $$$$

Post by James Widm » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 10:22:22

>:   I'm looking for a simple comm/telnet program that can work under
>: Sun's PCNFS to provide standard VT100 terminal emulation over TCP/IP *and*
>: do Tektronix 4010/4014 graphics. I don't care about all the other fancy stuff,
>: likes scripts, file transfer, etc, etc.
>:   I know about Smarterm by Persoft, but they want $250+ for it, and it
>: has a lot of stuff we don't need. I know about Dynacomm, but that is also $200+
>: and only does REGIS, not Tek4010.
>:   Any ideas ? Any shareware programs that might meet this need ? OS/2
>: solutions welcome too. Thanks.
>: (I suppose I could run XTERM but that really seems like a lot of excess
>: baggage).
>:                   Cheers,

  A while back I found a PM version of kermit that did tek4010 emulation.

  The file name was CKPM5X_E.ZIP & CKPM5X_S.ZIP, the s was the source files.
  I don't remeber what site it was on, but you might find it at the
  kermit repository.

  Good Luck
     jim

Post by Will E. Ro » Mon, 12 Sep 1994 05:35:07

>    I found another possibility: Wollongong's product called Pathway Access
>TCP/IP for Windows apparently contains a TEK 4010 terminal emulator. Can anyone
>comment on how good this product is, either specifically the terminal emulator
>or the whole package in general ? Any recent reviews ?
>    Thanks.

>                    Cheers,
>                    Dan Ts'o                713-798-3331

Wollongong's user interface is top notch, but there software is not as
fast or efficient as FTP's.  There are a couple of bugs in their VT-terminal
emulation and in printing, but all in all it's a pretty good product.

If I were a power user, I would use FTP's package, but the interface on their
Windows clients is abysmal, and hasn't been updated recently.

FTP: fast, complete, ugly, and uses non-standard syntax.
Wollongong: pretty, pretty slow, easy to use, and fairly standard syntax.

I don't know if it's an option, but IBM's TCP/IP for OS/2 is the best
PC-based TCP/IP platform I've ever seen.  It has everything.

                    The last of the bottom-up programmers.

Wanted: Comm/Telnet program with TEK4010 graphics mode

Post by Barr » Tue, 13 Sep 1994 19:47:14

Quote:>I don't know if it's an option, but IBM's TCP/IP for OS/2 is the best
>PC-based TCP/IP platform I've ever seen.  It has everything.

_>Will E. Rose

Is that available for ftp? Does it have slip support? Thanks

1. Why DOS comm program faster than OS/2 comm program

I have been using Hyper Access 5 for OS/2 sense I switched from DOS
I just got a new 14.4 modem and I notice that the speed of text has
not increased like downloads. So I tried my old DOS comm program
Qmodem and it is much faster than HA5.

Questions
1) is HA5 just slow or am I missing something.

2) if HA5 is slow what is a good FAST OS/2 comm program.

--
Thanks

2. Software: Pagestream 3.1

3. Text mode + comm programs = no scroll?

4. mex files and persistent file pointers

5. Test mode + Comm Program = No Scroll?

6. Yamaha mastering GOOD CD-DA, how can I do?

7. Good Text Mode Comm Programs

8. palm III and macpac

9. need comm program from telnet...

10. DOS Comm programs and MODE.COM

11. ripscript graphics in a os/2 comm program

12. telnet to an OS/2 machine and running DOS non-graphic programs

13. comm program with rip graphics support ?