IBM Newsreader

Post by Phil » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 05:22:56

i am using warp3 and the default IBM newsreader on one of my machines
i now wish to change the news-server
and if i'm off line there is a setup dialog box to do so...
only it never changes from the original setting
(even after a reboot)
i cannot find the index file anywhere in my tcp folder

any experts out there who could help me configure it?

(yes, i can use netscape but it's frustrating not to know how to setup
something that appears to be so straightforward)

thanks

Philo

IBM Newsreader

Post by Alan Ianso » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:15:11

I think the IBM newsreader gets it setup from the dialup info in your
tcpip directory. It's based on who your connected to now if online, and
who you were last connected to if offline. So for it to work I think you
need to be using the default dialer program that comes with warp. This
is how I understand it anyway, never really explorer it much.

> i am using warp3 and the default IBM newsreader on one of my machines
> i now wish to change the news-server
> and if i'm off line there is a setup dialog box to do so...
> only it never changes from the original setting
> (even after a reboot)
> i cannot find the index file anywhere in my tcp folder

> any experts out there who could help me configure it?

> (yes, i can use netscape but it's frustrating not to know how to setup
> something that appears to be so straightforward)

> thanks

> Philo

IBM Newsreader

Post by Phil » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:56:16

yes...warp came with a tcp/ip package which i am using
and the newsreader is part of it...
in the tcp folder i can even find the dial-up and the nr2.exe (newsreader)
it's just that as simple as it is to search thru...
i cannot find an account index file for the newsserver

there are not that many files there to search thru
but i cannot find anything which looks like the default newsserver
(though in the dial up connection there is a place to enter it and i did so)

thanks for the reply

Philo

IBM Newsreader

Post by Wolf Kirchmei » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:59:38

=>there are not that many files there to search thru
=>but i cannot find anything which looks like the default newsserver
=>(though in the dial up connection there is a place to enter it and i did so)

Been a while since i used it, but that's the place you specify the news
server. It's actually in your user-profile. so you could create another user
profile, and specify a different news server in it. IIRC you can create
several user profiles.

HTH

--

If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on the train?
(Garrison Keillor)

IBM Newsreader

Post by dav.. » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:55:45

Quote:>i am using warp3 and the default IBM newsreader on one of my machines
>i now wish to change the news-server
>and if i'm off line there is a setup dialog box to do so...
>only it never changes from the original setting
>(even after a reboot)
>i cannot find the index file anywhere in my tcp folder

>any experts out there who could help me configure it?

>(yes, i can use netscape but it's frustrating not to know how to setup
>something that appears to be so straightforward)

>thanks

>Philo

I hate to be Mr. Obvious but did you RMB on the icon for Properties and enter the addy for the newsgroup you want to connect to?

I have several icons for differing connections that way.  BTW I prefer NR/2 over many of the other spiffy readers for it's simplicity.

HTH

David

IBM Newsreader

Post by Otto Par » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:06:12

> i am using warp3 and the default IBM newsreader on one of my machines

I think SLRN is out for OS/2, I remember using it on that platform
before I switched to Linux.  Still using SLRN, though.  It's the
best newsreader going, for either platform.

IBM Newsreader

Post by phil » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:02:40

thanks for the reply

i had to delete my profile  *and* the tcpos2.ini file also
then recreate...
the newsreader now works!

Philo

for some reason only netscape picks up this particular group thou :)

IBM Newsreader

Post by Richard Stein » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:40:12

spake unto us, saying:

>> i am using warp3 and the default IBM newsreader on one of my machines

>I think SLRN is out for OS/2, I remember using it on that platform
>before I switched to Linux.  Still using SLRN, though.  It's the
>best newsreader going, for either platform.

Yes, slrn has been available for OS/2 for some time.

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
   OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS + PC/GEOS

IBM Newsreader

Post by Meinolf Sonderman » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:54:11

> i am using warp3 and the default IBM newsreader on one of my machines
> i now wish to change the news-server

Hello Philo,

NR2 can be started with the server address as an argument. There are
other command line switches and options as well. To get the complete
syntax enter: NR2 /?.

--
Bye/2
Meinolf

IBM Newsreader

Post by phil » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:03:37

thanks also for the hint about the command line switches!

Philo

1. IBM Newsreader

I have ATT Worldnet and I had everything up and running fine, but I
accidently erased all of my icons. So I used IBM's rebuild script and
everything works fine now except the Newsreader (It doesn't connect and
shuts down after about 3 min.)

If I have to reinstall, how do I save my att internet information so that
I don't have to bebuild it from scratch. If I remember right it was a
royal pain.

Thanks,  Terry.

2. 24-bit Scanners Anyone?

3. who maintains `IBM Newsreader'?

4. Help! won't connect to server

5. Change newsreader in IBM's Newsreader ?

6. missing inbox after upgrade to 6.0

7. IBM Newsreader/2 Version 1.07 Spacebar Function. Did it change?

8. Use Fix from testcase at own risk (This is a major warning here)

9. Can't get ibm newsreader to post!? NNTP prob?

10. IBM's Newsreader.

11. IBM's Newsreader

12. Newsreaders for OS/2 2.0 - IBM TCP/IP