Are the DevCon CD's worth anything?

Post by Beldra » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

I am currently writing an OS/2 game.  I've already got the full-screen
graphics engine written.  A demo will be released shortly for alpha
testing purposes.  However, I have no support for audio yet.  I would
like to use the Dart routines since I've seen several others put out
full-screen stuff that uses them.

1 - Does DevCon come with source and/or libs for audio that is
available for commercial use?
2 - Are the items royality free?
3 - I've heard Digital Music and Sound Interface for OS/2 is on DevCon
9 and 10.  Is this royality free or for demo purposes?
4 - Would you feel it's worth it, in your opinion, for resources in
creating games?

Thanks a lot for any help.  Getting info out of IBM has been like
pulling teeth.  They only really wanted my card numbers heard, but
that's sales people for ya'.. :)

Bel, the mostly sane..
TeamOS/2
(Note: I don't usually respond to Email.)

Are the DevCon CD's worth anything?

Post by Jean-Pascal Je » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am currently writing an OS/2 game.  I've already got the full-screen
>graphics engine written.  A demo will be released shortly for alpha
>testing purposes.  However, I have no support for audio yet.  I would
>like to use the Dart routines since I've seen several others put out
>full-screen stuff that uses them.

>1 - Does DevCon come with source and/or libs for audio that is
>available for commercial use?
>2 - Are the items royality free?
>3 - I've heard Digital Music and Sound Interface for OS/2 is on DevCon
>9 and 10.  Is this royality free or for demo purposes?
>4 - Would you feel it's worth it, in your opinion, for resources in
>creating games?

>Thanks a lot for any help.  Getting info out of IBM has been like
>pulling teeth.  They only really wanted my card numbers heard, but
>that's sales people for ya'.. :)

>Bel, the mostly sane..
>TeamOS/2
>(Note: I don't usually respond to Email.)

The Developer's Connection for OS/2 is a must for anyone developing
native applications for OS/2. I use it everyday, and it is packed with tons
of valuable information. I strongly recommend it as it is also full
of information and demo's for games for OS/2.

Jean-Pascal

Post by ccra.. » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am currently writing an OS/2 game.  I've already got the full-screen
>graphics engine written.  A demo will be released shortly for alpha
>testing purposes.  However, I have no support for audio yet.  I would
>like to use the Dart routines since I've seen several others put out
>full-screen stuff that uses them.

>1 - Does DevCon come with source and/or libs for audio that is
>available for commercial use?

Yes. The purpose of DevCon is to provide support for commercial developers.

Quote:>2 - Are the items royality free?

IBM supplied sample programs and libraries are royality free when incorporated
into your original code. DevCon also contains demo/evaluation versions of tool
from non IBM vendors which you must license from those vendors if you wish
to use them commercially.

Quote:>3 - I've heard Digital Music and Sound Interface for OS/2 is on DevCon
>9 and 10.  Is this royality free or for demo purposes?

The digital music and sound APIs may be used in your programs, royalty free.

Quote:>4 - Would you feel it's worth it, in your opinion, for resources in
>creating games?

Yes. DevCon is a much more cost effective way of getting access to IBM's
various development toolkits then acquiring them separately.

- Chuck Crayne (Who uses DevCon for my game development)

Post by dabr.. » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>3 - I've heard Digital Music and Sound Interface for OS/2 is on DevCon
>>9 and 10.  Is this royality free or for demo purposes?

>The digital music and sound APIs may be used in your programs, royalty free.

NO. DSMI is not royalty free on the DevCon CD's.  The use of the DART interface
is free, but DSMI offers a lot more and is not written by IBM; consequently it
has a price tag. (a lot more than DevCon itself costs of course)

D.A.Braun
____________________________________

Meridian Software

Are the DevCon CD's worth anything?

Post by Julien Pier » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi !

>>3 - I've heard Digital Music and Sound Interface for OS/2 is on DevCon
>>9 and 10.  Is this royality free or for demo purposes?

>The digital music and sound APIs may be used in your programs, royalty free.

It is royalty free, but you still have to buy the license to it in order to
use it.
If you had installed it, you would have seen the license agreement on your
desktop in the DSMI folder.

// Julien R. Pierre
// Developer of Digital Sound & Music Interface for OS/2 (DSMI/2)
// http://www.netsrq.com/~madbrain              - DSMI/2 homepage
// http://www.polsci.wvu.edu/Henry/Madbrain     - personal page
// Certified OS/2 Engineer - Multimedia Developer - 1-941-366-5355

Are the DevCon CD's worth anything?

Post by dabra » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

 MSGID: 2:283/709.99 18559b3b

Quote:>>3 - I've heard Digital Music and Sound Interface for OS/2 is on DevCon
>>9 and 10.  Is this royality free or for demo purposes?

>The digital music and sound APIs may be used in your programs, royalty free.

NO. DSMI is not royalty free on the DevCon CD's.  The use of the DART interface
is free, but DSMI offers a lot more and is not written by IBM; consequently it
has a price tag. (a lot more than DevCon itself costs of course)

D.A.Braun
____________________________________

Meridian Software

1. Fix Packs - Am I am missing anything???

I am using Warp 3.0 (w/o windows code).  I have yet to apply any fixpacks.  Is there anything
important that I am missing?  The last time I tried to apply a fixpack, it screwed up winos2.
What is the best thing to do  - nothing or apply the latest fp.

2. Blocking Unwanted Sites - Software

3. !!!!!!! If you can't say anything good about WIN95, don't say anything!!!!!!!

4. Tandy 1000 power supply problem

5. Devcon CD's. Single issue?

6. Dialog Box Pasting?

7. DevCon CD's

8. Searching \verbatiminput macro

9. What's on the DevCon CD?

10. OS/2 Warp on FLoppy - worth anything?

11. Is this item worth anything?

12. CHKDSK doesn't do anything, doesn't even run from floppy

13. Let's turn tables on Tim - it's worth the read...