OS/2 for Windows vs OS/2 2.1, WAV playing from CMD file

OS/2 for Windows vs OS/2 2.1, WAV playing from CMD file

Post by Alok K. Dh » Sun, 20 Feb 1994 13:13:05

Hello all...

I am considering side-grading to OS/2 for Windows (to replace the standard 2.1
product) in order to free up 15 megs of HD space.  I am concerned that the OS/2
for Windows product may be less compatible.  Can I expect any incompatibilities
os does it work just as before?

Also, I have written a small REXX script to check to see if I have new mail
(called it biff.cmd for obvious reasons) and I use CRON/2 to execute it every
five minutes.  For those of you that are curious, it works by checking for the
existence of a file matchine '*.NDX' in the /tcpip/etc/mail directory (which
only exists when there is unread mail).  If such a file exists, it plays a WAV
file to alert me to the fact.  Currently I am using the 'play' cmd file included
with MMOS/2 to play the WAV file, but this cmd file is rather inefficient.  It
actually loads a command shell before it plays and seems to churn the disk more
than necessary (I have 32mb ram).  The play command is called as follows:

'detach play file='wavfile

Obviously, wavfile has been earlier set to the file I want it to play.  My
question:  Is there any easier, more efficient way to play a WAV file from a CMD
file?

Thanks for any help...

  ---------------------------------------___---------------------------------
 | Al Dhir                              /___\  Internet Access Group, Inc    |

  -----------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------------------

1. WARP Created WAV file vs WIN 3.11 Created WAV file ?

Problem, I think ?  When I create a .WAV file using Warp's MMPM, I can not
 play it using anything under Win 3.11.

IS MMPM doing something strange to the wave file???  I found this out while using
the Internet.  I have set up some WAV files on my WEB page that work fine with
the WEB Browser/Warp and even WIN 3.11/NETSCAPE with the WAV 'plugin' module
but NOT under Windows ?????

Please help, thank you in advance.

http://www.execpc.com/~krsmith

Please E-MAIL ME !!!!! Thanks.

2. UPLOAD: brief.sty--NEN-conformant letter style

3. PMmail 1.5 & playing wav files (pmmail.wav)

4. send "on hook" to modem

5. Playing *.wav files with OS/2

6. newbie: type-in fields

7. OS/2 2.1 vs. OS/2 For Windows

8. case conversion

9. OS/2 2.0 vs OS/2 2.1 : Differences in DOS/Windows compatibility

10. OS/2 2.1 vs. OS/2 For Windows

11. OS/2 .WAV -> Windows .WAV, possible?

12. PMMAIL 1.5 - how to get the WAV file to play?

13. NS461 can't play wav files