How to get DevCon CD

Post by Christopher Wo » Mon, 05 Sep 1994 08:56:49

I have heard some good things about the Developer's Connection CD Rom
subscription. Since the subscription is a significant investment, I
was wondering if it was possible to purchase just one CD for
evaluation.

Chris

How to get DevCon CD

Post by Holger Ve » Tue, 06 Sep 1994 17:14:02

|> I have heard some good things about the Developer's Connection CD Rom
|> subscription. Since the subscription is a significant investment, I
|> was wondering if it was possible to purchase just one CD for
|> evaluation.
|>
|> Chris

I doubt so. The subscription is intended for "The Developer", not the casual
John Normaluser, who just wants to get lots of software for cheap.

--

|  |   / GMD-SET German National Research  | Phone: (+49) 2241 14 2448
|__|  /  Center for Computer Science       | Fax:   (+49) 2241 14 2342
|  | /   Schloss Birlinghoven              | Had a nightmare yesterday:
|  |/    53754 St. Augustin, Germany       | My system started up with
                                           | ... Booting vmunix.el ...

How to get DevCon CD

Post by Will Ro » Wed, 07 Sep 1994 03:43:50

: I have heard some good things about the Developer's Connection CD Rom
: subscription. Since the subscription is a significant investment, I
: was wondering if it was possible to purchase just one CD for
: evaluation.

It was possible to buy the first CDROM as a singleton, but since
then they've all been annual subscriptions.

Will

How to get DevCon CD

Quote:SA>(Christopher Wong) writes:

SA>>I have heard some good things about the Developer's Connection CD Rom
SA>>subscription. Since the subscription is a significant investment, I
SA>>was wondering if it was possible to purchase just one CD for
SA>>evaluation.
SA>>
SA>>Chris

SA>Chris,

SA>The Developer Connection for OS/2 CD is sold as a
SA>subscription of 4 CD's.  Each being shipped quarterly.  The
SA>Cost is $199, and can be ordered by calling 1-800-6DEVCON.

SA>Sanjay Mahendroo                  CompuServe: 73423,2767

Why are there no deals for continuing a subscription?

Worse-World Wide DAP members are not eligible for the $119 package that
Commercial and Premium DAP members receive-this is totally unfair-small
ISVs need this stuff too and are operating under more severe financial
constraints...this is how IBM gets the rep of not supporting small
developers-it's not that we're asking IBM to give it away, just equalize
the pricing-hell, _I'm_ actually _planning_ on being involved with OS2
for the long haul....why are you attempting to discourage me?

Bill
---------
Fidonet:  Bill Stone 1:109/347

How to get DevCon CD

Quote:>I have heard some good things about the Developer's Connection CD Rom

Post by Peter K » Sun, 11 Sep 1994 01:17:06

: |> I have heard some good things about the Developer's Connection CD Rom
: |> subscription. Since the subscription is a significant investment, I
: |> was wondering if it was possible to purchase just one CD for
: |> evaluation.
: |>
: |> Chris

: I doubt so. The subscription is intended for "The Developer", not the casual
: John Normaluser, who just wants to get lots of software for cheap.

Any ideas if you can get a student price :-) ?
____oooo______ooooo________oo____ooooo_____________________________________
__oo____oo___oo___oo______oo___oo____oo___  Peter Kay, IT Institute,      _
_oo______oo___oo_________oo__________oo___  Salford University, Salford.  _
_oo______oo_____oo______oo__________oo____  Beginner OS/2 WPS programmer  _

____oooo______ooooo___oo________oooooo_____________________________________

How to get DevCon CD

Post by Paul Flo » Thu, 15 Sep 1994 01:00:08

>SA>Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.programmer.misc

>SA>(Christopher Wong) writes:
>SA>>I have heard some good things about the Developer's Connection CD Rom
>SA>>subscription. Since the subscription is a significant investment, I
>SA>>was wondering if it was possible to purchase just one CD for
>SA>>evaluation.
>SA>>
>SA>>Chris

>SA>Chris,

>SA>The Developer Connection for OS/2 CD is sold as a
>SA>subscription of 4 CD's.  Each being shipped quarterly.  The
>SA>Cost is $199, and can be ordered by calling 1-800-6DEVCON.

>SA>Sanjay Mahendroo                  CompuServe: 73423,2767

>Why are there no deals for continuing a subscription?

>Worse-World Wide DAP members are not eligible for the $119 package that
>Commercial and Premium DAP members receive-this is totally unfair-small
>ISVs need this stuff too and are operating under more severe financial
>constraints...this is how IBM gets the rep of not supporting small
>developers-it's not that we're asking IBM to give it away, just equalize
>the pricing-hell, _I'm_ actually _planning_ on being involved with OS2
>for the long haul....why are you attempting to discourage me?

>Bill
>---------
>Fidonet:  Bill Stone 1:109/347

Well, I wouldn't complain ad DevCon being cheaper (175Sterling = $270 here),
it is still a fantastic package. Just for TCP/IP and DB2/2, it is more than
worth the price, as well as having all those CSDs, a load of documentation,
demos (I suppose that keeps the price down, assuming the companies pay to
have their products demoed), and the EWS stuff (some otherwise unavailable
- PMDraw! is pretty good). In fact, there is so much there, that I dare not
fiddle with anything that is unnecessary for my work, or I'll never finish my
thesis. (Some people are beginning to doubt anyway).

--
Paul Floyd, Information Storage Research Group, Dept. of Electrical Engineering,
University of Manchester, Dover St., Manchester, M13 9PL, UK. FAX 061 275 4512

Hwyl fawr i bob un.  Think pos/2ive.   when you start calling it a sewage pump.

How to get DevCon CD

Post by sanj.. » Sat, 17 Sep 1994 07:10:23

Quote:>: I doubt so. The subscription is intended for "The Developer", not the casual
>: John Normaluser, who just wants to get lots of software for cheap.

>Any ideas if you can get a student price :-) ?

Peter,

Student prices are available for the DevCon CD.  You can call 1-800-6DEVCON
for details.

Rgds.

Sanjay Mahendroo                  CompuServe: 73423,2767

1. Are the DevCon CD's worth anything?

I am currently writing an OS/2 game.  I've already got the full-screen
graphics engine written.  A demo will be released shortly for alpha
testing purposes.  However, I have no support for audio yet.  I would
like to use the Dart routines since I've seen several others put out
full-screen stuff that uses them.

1 - Does DevCon come with source and/or libs for audio that is
available for commercial use?
2 - Are the items royality free?
3 - I've heard Digital Music and Sound Interface for OS/2 is on DevCon
9 and 10.  Is this royality free or for demo purposes?
4 - Would you feel it's worth it, in your opinion, for resources in
creating games?

Thanks a lot for any help.  Getting info out of IBM has been like
pulling teeth.  They only really wanted my card numbers heard, but
that's sales people for ya'.. :)

Bel, the mostly sane..
TeamOS/2
(Note: I don't usually respond to Email.)

2. Help with install of MS PictureIt

3. DevCon CD

4. Wanted: good med. res. manpager

5. WINS

6. FP29 for Warp3 (from DevCon CD) ??

7. 5mx Agenda Todos

8. DevCon CDs?

9. DevCon CD

10. LAPS from DevCon CD 6 and install problem

11. DevCon CD 6 LAN Server 40 Prob

12. WTB: DevCon CD