IBM's continues to support OS/2 - NOT!!!

IBM's continues to support OS/2 - NOT!!!

Post by Tracy Pipk » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 02:08:09

For those of you interested in IBM's MWave product
please note the following:

  o IBM still ignores the OS/2 market by not provide
     properly device driver support
  o IBM has left users* for 2+ years
  o IBM will not support OS/2 Warp
  o IBM will not enhance the current beta drivers after
     initial release (1qtr 95)
  o IBM will not enhance MCA versions of the adapter
  o IBM ignored the voice of the customers
  o IBM closed a customer CFORUM for MWave after
     receiving chasting from customers

Once again, IBM has failed to deliever key OS/2 drivers
on promising technology.

Please ignore this technology from IBM and feel free to
do your part in making IBM fixed this problem.

Tracy Pipkin

(713) 366-7720

IBM's continues to support OS/2 - NOT!!!

Post by Dale Ro » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 04:23:52

Quote:>For those of you interested in IBM's MWave product
>please note the following:

>  o IBM still ignores the OS/2 market by not provide
>     properly device driver support
>  o IBM has left users* for 2+ years
>  o IBM will not support OS/2 Warp
>  o IBM will not enhance the current beta drivers after
>     initial release (1qtr 95)
>  o IBM will not enhance MCA versions of the adapter
>  o IBM ignored the voice of the customers
>  o IBM closed a customer CFORUM for MWave after
>     receiving chasting from customers

>Once again, IBM has failed to deliever key OS/2 drivers
>on promising technology.

>Please ignore this technology from IBM and feel free to
>do your part in making IBM fixed this problem.

I have a product that uses MWave technology. The voice mail system I recently
installed has this technology. What product are you talking about here?
Mine is the ACE5000. From what I hear this product may have OS/2 drivers
sometime next year. So are you talking about the same or a different product.

I am very interested in just how much developement goes into this product
and what the future holds for it.

Dale

| Dale Ross, Sysop Win32 Support BBS C*te, NC USA Fidonet 1:379/45 |

Post by Mwave Archive Administrati » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 05:32:13

>For those of you interested in IBM's MWave product
>please note the following:

<Several points deleted>
Quote:

>Once again, IBM has failed to deliever key OS/2 drivers
>on promising technology.

>Please ignore this technology from IBM and feel free to
>do your part in making IBM fixed this problem.

Several questions come to mind.  Which Mwave product are
you talking about?  IBM has announced that updates to
the IBM WaveRunner will be available for OS/2 by the
end of April '95.  (Some of these updates are available in
an MS-Windows version now.)  IBM has also announced
their intention to support Warp on their ThinkPad Model 755
which have built in Mwave DSP2780 chips.

Second what evidence do you have to back up your claims?  You
say IBM will not support Warp (the current beta drivers for the
WindSurfer work under Warp now), IBM will not enhance
current beta drivers (I'm assuming you mean the WindSurfer).
Did IBM, themselves, tell you their intentions or is this
an unsubstantiated rumour started by someone?

--
Jeff Bryer                    |  Mwave Archive Site: (running OS/2 + Linux)

Mwave Archive Administration  |  /pub/mwave  (software + info)
WWW Mwave URL  -  http://darwin.mbb.sfu.ca/

Post by Mwave Archive Administrati » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 05:36:13

>I have a product that uses MWave technology. The voice mail system I recently
>installed has this technology. What product are you talking about here?
>Mine is the ACE5000. From what I hear this product may have OS/2 drivers
>sometime next year. So are you talking about the same or a different product.

Yes according to BestData Products (makers of the ACE5000) they
are currently working on OS/2 support for the ACE5000.  I believe
that this is the Mwave project which currently has the highest
priority.

On a related note, might I enquire which voice mail
system did you install?

--

Post by forsy.. » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 06:26:40

Quote:Tracy Pipkin writes:
>For those of you interested in IBM's MWave product
>please note the following:

>  o IBM still ignores the OS/2 market by not provide
>     properly device driver support

What's your damage, Tracy?

I was in an OS/2 device driver development training class earlier this
year and there were people in there taking the class so they could support
the MWave devices.  From that timing, I expect to see the beta drivers
early next year.

What are you talking about?

Post by Dale Ro » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 11:14:27

>>I have a product that uses MWave technology. The voice mail system I recently
>>installed has this technology. What product are you talking about here?
>>Mine is the ACE5000. From what I hear this product may have OS/2 drivers
>>sometime next year. So are you talking about the same or a different product.

>Yes according to BestData Products (makers of the ACE5000) they
>are currently working on OS/2 support for the ACE5000.  I believe
>that this is the Mwave project which currently has the highest
>priority.

>On a related note, might I enquire which voice mail
>system did you install?

I thought I said above, the ACE5000. It has problems, the discriminator
for one. But it works great when it works.

Dale

| Dale Ross, Sysop Win32 Support BBS C*te, NC USA Fidonet 1:379/45 |

IBM's continues to support OS/2 - NOT!!!

Post by Tracy Pipk » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 22:13:44

Quote:>I have a product that uses MWave technology. The voice mail system I recently
>installed has this technology. What product are you talking about here?
>Mine is the ACE5000. From what I hear this product may have OS/2 drivers
>sometime next year. So are you talking about the same or a different product.

>I am very interested in just how much developement goes into this product
>and what the future holds for it.

Dale,

My comments are specific to IBM.  The MWave technology in itself is
great.  However, IBM' ability to provide proper support to the
customer is not.  Currently, there are 2 division that provide the
customer with the MWave technology.  Team MWave is doing an
excellent job.  However, the IBM Personal Computer Company is NOT.
So, if you want to buy the technology from IBM, you are left*.
ACE5000 is provided by another company that has be OEM from the
Team MWave group (you know the ones doing the REAL work).  So, I
really don't have any problems with them.  Except that they are not
getting additional sales because of IBM PCC.  In my opinion, Team
MWave should have taken the additional step of ensure that their
interest are protected (which they have to a certain point).

Just a few more points, IBM PCC stated that they would not be
responsible for future development of the drivers, that the current
version of OS/2 (i.e Warp) is NOT support, and that it wouldn't
appear until 1/3?/95.  Very poor performance at best.

Just to clear things up some.  It is the IBM Personal Computer
Company that is FAILING BIG TIME here.  Without their support,
it WON'T happen.

Thanks.

Tracy Pipkin

(713) 366-7720

IBM's continues to support OS/2 - NOT!!!

Post by Tracy Pipk » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 22:20:14

Jeff,

:Several questions come to mind.  Which Mwave product are
:you talking about?

I'm talking about all IBM equipment here.

:IBM has announced that updates to the IBM WaveRunner
:will be available for OS/2 by the end of April '95.  (Some of
:these updates are available in an MS-Windows version now.)

Yes, finally some official support but VERY late.  Also, the
Windows versions have had several releases but not 1 official
OS/2 version has yet.

:IBM has also announced their intention to support Warp on
:their ThinkPad Model 755 which have built in Mwave DSP2780 chips.

Where is a MCA version of this chip?  It's not coming!!!!!

:Second what evidence do you have to back up your claims?  You
:say IBM will not support Warp (the current beta drivers for the
:WindSurfer work under Warp now), IBM will not enhance
:current beta drivers (I'm assuming you mean the WindSurfer).
:Did IBM, themselves, tell you their intentions or is this
:an unsubstantiated rumour started by someone?

Jeff - Jeff - Jeff,

Please, all of this was based upon an IBM CUSTOMER forum
that I use (or I did until they disabled the MWAVE forum).
I would post there response here except that I can't do it
legally.

There are several other non-IBMers that visit there that can
verify this information.

Tracy Pipkin

(713) 366-7720

Post by Tracy Pipk » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 22:23:58

:What's your damage, Tracy?
:I was in an OS/2 device driver development training class earlier this
:year and there were people in there taking the class so they could support
:the MWave devices.  From that timing, I expect to see the beta drivers
:early next year.
:
:What are you talking about?

Charles,

Plenty, I have invested plenty into OS/2.  If IBM doesn't provide
then I lose.  Sure, the MWave drivers for OS/2 have been in beta
for sometime.  But they are NOT supported by IBM.  As far as
early next year goes, it is only for OS/2 2.11 NOT Warp.

Tracy Pipkin

(713) 366-7720

Post by bbau.. » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 00:29:55

Quote:>For those of you interested in IBM's MWave product
>please note the following:

>  o IBM still ignores the OS/2 market by not provide
>     properly device driver support
>  o IBM has left users* for 2+ years
>  o IBM will not support OS/2 Warp
>  o IBM will not enhance the current beta drivers after
>     initial release (1qtr 95)
>  o IBM will not enhance MCA versions of the adapter

While I did not purchase one of these cards myself I did recommend the card
to a number of people.  IBM's decision on this will make it very hard for me
to recommend leading edge IBM technology.  Personally I think IBM should offer
a full refund or exchange for the newer cards.

Brett Baudin
Multimedia Programmer Analyst
Division of Technology in Education
Faculty of Education - University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by forsy.. » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 05:33:19

Quote:Tracy Pipkin writes:
>As far as early next year goes, it is only for OS/2 2.11 NOT Warp.

OS/2 does not undergo radical changes which orphan technology (particularly
drivers).  I believe that most of the OS/2 printer drivers in use today
are still 16-bit drivers from OS/2 1.3.

If they have promised "2.11" drivers for next year, they will work on Warp.
Trust me.  I know a lot about OS/2 drivers.

IBM's continues to support OS/2 - NOT!!!

Post by Donald Jan Pola » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 01:48:15

Quote:> Plenty, I have invested plenty into OS/2.  If IBM doesn't provide
> then I lose.  Sure, the MWave drivers for OS/2 have been in beta
> for sometime.  But they are NOT supported by IBM.  As far as
> early next year goes, it is only for OS/2 2.11 NOT Warp.

Correct me if I'm wrong but product from OS/2 2.11 are compatible with
Warp... I used to run 2.1 but got fed up with it.. I now run warp and put
some of the old 2.1 software on it I had, plus dload alot of the older
stuff from the ftp sites that are for 2.1 and even 1.1... No problems

Don

Post by Richard Alan Schaf » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 07:56:15

Quote:Administration) writes:

|> Several questions come to mind.  Which Mwave product are
|> you talking about?  IBM has announced that updates to
|> the IBM WaveRunner will be available for OS/2 by the
|> end of April '95.  (Some of these updates are available in
|> an MS-Windows version now.)  IBM has also announced
|> their intention to support Warp on their ThinkPad Model 755
|> which have built in Mwave DSP2780 chips.

Well, take a look at the new Waverunner PCMCIA card, which unlike its older
brother ISA card only comes with Windows support.  From what I've heard,
the problem is missing Mwave willingness to provide OS/2 support.

--
Richard

IBM's continues to support OS/2 - NOT!!!

Post by Adam Hi » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 08:36:33

   My biggest beef is that OS/2 development comes AFTER Windows
development. (Example V.34 for OS/2 in APRIL! Windows before that.) The
latest OS/2 drivers are still BETA (Why?). I just wish we could have near
simultaneous release with OS/2 and Windows features. As the 2870 and the
PCMCIA Waverunner attest, they ARE improving the technology. (A PCMCIA
ISDN card with 128Kbps BONDING is waaaay cool!)

    Anyone on the MWAVE group have some soothing words? :-)
Adam Hill - Multimedia Programmer       OS/2 PM and Windows - C,C++

Asymetrix Multimedia ToolBook 3.0       Visual Basic + Imaging Tools

IBM's continues to support OS/2 - NOT!!!

Post by rpar.. » Fri, 16 Dec 1994 00:43:21

Quote:>   My biggest beef is that OS/2 development comes AFTER Windows
>development. (Example V.34 for OS/2 in APRIL! Windows before that.) The
>latest OS/2 drivers are still BETA (Why?). I just wish we could have near
>simultaneous release with OS/2 and Windows features. As the 2870 and the
>PCMCIA Waverunner attest, they ARE improving the technology. (A PCMCIA
>ISDN card with 128Kbps BONDING is waaaay cool!)

        Although I am not convinced that IBM isn'y fully behind Warp, I must
admit that their priorities for many products are behind Windows.  I understand
Windows is the money maker these days, but, Warp has the potential to be the
same! However, this cannot be possible unless IBM of all companies put Warp
1st!  Especially on its own platform and with full support of native hardware.
IBM needs to put its money where its mouth is!

"A better Dos than Dos,...a better Windows than Windows"

Rufus Parson
-I looked through Windows and saw the future, then I WARPED there!!!-

1. IBM announces continuing OS/2 support

Just saw this posted on the OS/2 Software Choice page:

[begin IBM announcement]
Dateline: August 22, 2002    Statement of Intent

Our intent is to deliver the following features in 4Q2002:

An updated version of the IBM Web Browser for OS/2.
Support for Web Start Java application deployment technology . We intend
to provide Java Web Start for OS/2 based on SUN's Java Web Start version
1.0.1 for Windows. Our plan includes desktop integration functions
adapted for differences between Windows and OS/2.

An XML Parser for Java applications on OS/2. We intend to provide a XML
Parser for Java based on the Xerces version 2.0.1 and Xalan version
2.3.1 Open Source technology from the Apache XML Project.
[end IBM announcement]

This is generally a little bit of elaboration on what IBM generally
described in their OS/2 2002 Strategy document but still, it is nice to
see it spelled out.

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/os/warp/swchoice/

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and IBM Web Browser v1.2

2. Hot-Swap capabilities under VxWorks

3. How do you get location of IP packet given pMBlk and pCookie?

4. IBM Announces Continuing Support and Features for OS/2

5. Cheat button..

6. IBM announces continued support and features for OS/2

7. how to access memory of VxSim from VCPU environment

8. OS/2 continues to suffer IBM's internal divisions.

9. 7th Guest saga continues (IBM Tech support guest stars)

10. Standing Ovation for IBM'ers, and for IBM OS/2 support and commitment

11. IBM's OS/2 support in OS/2-incompatible format