trapdoor in Warp 4.0

Post by ele.. » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

How do I go about using this new trapdoor feature that came with 4.0?
I can't find hibernat.exe anyplace an my harddrive. Is there some special option I
need to click to install that? I read someplace that it will only work if you installed
os/2 to a fat drive, mine's on hpfs, could that be the problem?
thanks

trapdoor in Warp 4.0

Post by Frank McKenn » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>How do I go about using this new trapdoor feature that came with 4.0?
>I can't find hibernat.exe anyplace an my harddrive. Is there some special option I
>need to click to install that? I read someplace that it will only work if you installed
>os/2 to a fat drive, mine's on hpfs, could that be the problem?

Dedicated DOS Sessions require that Warp 4 be installed to a FAT C: with
DOS already installed.

For more details on DDS sessions, start with the online "OS/2 Warp Desktop
Guide".  Once you have that part down, you can get a lot of techincal
detail from the online version of IBM's Personal Systems Nov/Dec 1996
issue at http://www.veryComputer.com/

Hope this helps...

Frank McKenney            / OS/2 Advisor (OS2BBS)
McKenney Associates       / Richmond, *ia / (804) 320-4887

trapdoor in Warp 4.0

Post by hyala.. » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Dedicated DOS Sessions require that Warp 4 be installed to a FAT C: with
>DOS already installed.

>For more details on DDS sessions, start with the online "OS/2 Warp Desktop
>Guide".  Once you have that part down, you can get a lot of techincal
>detail from the online version of IBM's Personal Systems Nov/Dec 1996
>issue at http://www.veryComputer.com/

>Hope this helps...

>Frank McKenney            / OS/2 Advisor (OS2BBS)
>McKenney Associates       / Richmond, *ia / (804) 320-4887

This entire thread looks to be a wild goose chase.
I have never heard this feature hyped anywhere.
Each message on this thread points in a different direction.
There are URLs which don't say anything,
documentation files that don't help,
configurations that get more complex each time,
and executables that don't exist,

                                                                          Hareendra Yalamanchili

trapdoor in Warp 4.0

Post by sys.. » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>Dedicated DOS Sessions require that Warp 4 be installed to a FAT C: with
>>DOS already installed.
>>For more details on DDS sessions, start with the online "OS/2 Warp Desktop
>>Guide".  Once you have that part down, you can get a lot of techincal
>>detail from the online version of IBM's Personal Systems Nov/Dec 1996
>>issue at http://www.veryComputer.com/
>>Frank McKenney            / OS/2 Advisor (OS2BBS)

>This entire thread looks to be a wild goose chase.
>I have never heard this feature hyped anywhere.

Haven't been paying att'n, eh?

No it isn't a biggie, but there was an extended discussion
(in the beta group I think) about whether it would be generally
available or only on one or two IBM models.

Quote:>Each message on this thread points in a different direction.

Hey, that's the 'net for you.  Lots of sources of information.

Quote:>There are URLs which don't say anything,

Well the one above certainly says quite a bit. (some of it even
looks useful :)

Quote:>documentation files that don't help,
>configurations that get more complex each time,
>and executables that don't exist,

Well I don't have Merlin to play with so I can't comment on these
except to say that it sounds like a * session.

Real Men change diapers

trapdoor in Warp 4.0

Post by Faye Pears » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

:>
:>>Dedicated DOS Sessions require that Warp 4 be installed to a FAT C: with
:>>DOS already installed.
:>>
:>>For more details on DDS sessions, start with the online "OS/2 Warp Desktop
:>>Guide".  Once you have that part down, you can get a lot of techincal
:>>detail from the online version of IBM's Personal Systems Nov/Dec 1996
:>>issue at http://www.veryComputer.com/
:>>
:>>Hope this helps...
:>>
:>>Frank McKenney            / OS/2 Advisor (OS2BBS)
:>>McKenney Associates       / Richmond, *ia / (804) 320-4887

:>
:>This entire thread looks to be a wild goose chase.
:>I have never heard this feature hyped anywhere.
:>Each message on this thread points in a different direction.
:>There are URLs which don't say anything,
:>documentation files that don't help,
:>configurations that get more complex each time,
:>and executables that don't exist,

I've just got 2 great games working in Direct DOS/Windows mode (Trapdoor) and
have a few pointers (An Idiots guide to DDM- sorry if it is patronising, but
some people are new to Warp may find the things useful).

This is how it works on this machine (P133 Triton Chipset, 2 EIDE hard
drives).
I can't guarantee it will work on all machines - but hey, neither can IBM.

The games are FIFA 97 and Need For Speed.

1)  Format a partition for DOS - about 300Mb will leave you with about 150mb
free after installing DOS and OS/2 *IF* you put all the bits that can be moved
to other drives on other drives (Including Swapper.dat)  The important thing
to note is that you must have at *LEAST* enough free space on this drive as
you have memory AFTER installing both DOS and OS/2 (I have 32mb mem and 79mb
free).

2)  Install your DOS (PCDOS7 is best since this is the OS that OS/2 loads in
DDM) and all the drivers you need to get your games to work, CDROM, mouse and
Soundcard etc.  I installed Dos 6.22 since that is the only one I have handy.
Do your optimisation, memmaker etc. now.

3)  Install OS/2 on the same drive (Basically where DOS itself can boot from).
 I used an already formatted HPFS extended partition to hold all the OS/2 bits
that can be shunted to another drive (Also select Java Development and change
the drive letter there - even if you don't want the development part)

4)  If you have done the above, then after install, you should see a Dual Boot
icon in the WarpCenter CommandPrompts folder (great).

5)  Drag a New Program template to the desktop (we can put it somewhere else
later) and select the Session tab.  At the bottom of the session page, you
should see Dedicated Dos/Windows Session..yes?  It's working OK then.

6)  If its OK so far, you can now put your details in for the program  (If you
didn't install it yet, then use Dual Boot to install it, check that it is
working with your DOS setup, then reboot to the OS/2 desktop).  EXE's and
Batch files work fine and all drivers that will load under any DOS version
will work - this includes mouse drivers, sound cards and cdrom stuff *BUT* not
your keyboard/mode commands UNLESS you are using PCDOS 7 - however this isn't
usually an issue for DOS games.

7)  Nearly there...  OK, so to double check... your game is installed and
working with DOS and you have entered the details into the program object.
Now select Direct DOS/Windows mode on the session page (Change the name if you
like on the Icon page) and close the Properties Notebook.

8)  Now, hold your breath and double click on the newly created program
object.  The following should happen:

The screen will clear and display "Preparing to load  <Program name>"
for a few seconds while it saves the memory to the hard drive.  If you don't
have enough space left, it will tell you so (You have invested in Partition
Magic haven't you? - Actually partition magic 2 seems dodgy with Warp 4 HPFS
so be careful)

Then the screen will fill with pretty coloured WARP all over the screen while
it loads PC DOS 7 (from the OS/2 System directory) and the config.sys.

Then your autoexec.bat file will run:  Don't worry if you see incorrect DOS
version - it's probably because the DOS you installed isn't PCDOS 7 and the
things it fails to load are only things like MODE Codepage etc. and KEYB UK.

Finally your DOS Game will run.

On exiting your game (or rebooting), you will see --> OS/2 ... at the top of a
blank screen, and after a couple of seconds you will see your desktop just the
way that you left it.

If something goes wrong...
--------------------------
The worst that can happen is that the config.sys file won't be replaced back
with the OS/2 one -causing lots of SYS... errors followed by OS/2 cannot
access your Hard drive, system halted.

Just reboot with your DOS disks and copy CONFIG.OS2 and AUTOEXEC.OS2 from the
OS2\SYSTEM directory over CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT in the root directory
and then reboot.

ASIDE:

Why is it that IBM didn't make this more of a feature?  It would be great for
laptops and busy people who turn their computer off often.  You could just
Trapdoor and poweroff, then on powerup - OS/2 in seconds flat!

I haven't tried this!!! but I don't see why you can't create a desktop object
that runs "PAUSE Ready to shutdown now" to do just this.

--

Are you talking to your computer yet?

1. Trapdoor Feature of Warp V4.0

Yesterday I saw a post that linked to a sight that had info on using the
Warp V4.0 trapdoor capability using the HIBERNAT.EXE program. I printed
the article and decided to try it out on my Warp V4.0 system. There does
not seem to be a HIBERNAT.EXE program anywhere on my OS/2 disk. Does
anyone know anything about this feature and could shed some light on the

newsgroup.

Thanks,
Steve Ingle
--
Steve Ingle
Research Engineer

2. Perihelion BUG??

3. Warp 4 and Plug-Ins

4. Where do I get my monitor repaired?

5. Installing Warp 4.0 and NT 4.0 on the same system

6. wtb: indigo parts

7. Testing shows that Windows NT 4.0 is faster and more stable than Warp 4.0

8. hangs?

9. OS/2 Warp 4.0 and Windows 4.0

10. Internet mail access for Warp 4.0 through NT 4.0?

11. Warp 4.0 and NT 4.0 server

12. Can I share drivers between NT 4.0 (wrk) and Warp 4.0

13. Lan Server 4.0 and Warp Server 4.0