How can I view PostScript files.

Post by gl.. » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

The subject pretty much says it all. I need to be able to view some .ps files. I
don't have the multimedia viewer and the files arent EPS. A converter of viewer
(preferably native OS/2) would be a real life saver.

Andrew Mark

Post by Oliver Steinmei » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>The subject pretty much says it all. I need to be able to view some .ps
> files. I don't have the multimedia viewer and the files arent EPS. A
> converter of viewer (preferably native OS/2) would be a real life saver.

Try Ghostview and Ghostscript.  Works great for me.  Here's where you
can find it (the following taken from a message posted here a while ago
by someone):

The current version of PM GSview and GSview for Windows is version 1.2
   and works with Aladdin Ghostscript 3.33 and GNU Ghostscript 2.6.1.
   GSview version 1.2 is available on the Internet from
      ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/pub/ghost/rjl/gsview12.zip
   A beta test version (which fixes a gsview32.exe command line bug)
   is available from
      ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/pub/ghost/rjl/gsvw121b.zip

Aladdin Ghostscript 3.33 can be obtained from
   ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/pub/ghost/aladdin/Index
   ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/pub/ghost/aladdin/gs333*.zip

Oliver

How can I view PostScript files.

Post by Si » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Try Ghostview and Ghostscript.  Works great for me.

Only one word of caution.  I downloaded these files and found that
although you could view files fine, if you wanted to flip the
picture over, or rotate it, it completely crashed the system -
beyond Watchcat's ability to help.

If anyone knows where I went wrong, I would love to know.

Simon Hampton                      All comments are made

www: http://www.ping.be/~ping1309  (under development)

Post by David Engebrets » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>The subject pretty much says it all. I need to be able to view some .ps files. I
>don't have the multimedia viewer and the files arent EPS. A converter of viewer
>(preferably native OS/2) would be a real life saver.

You can find ghostscript at hobbes.nmsu.edu in the os2/unix/ghost directory.
Setup is a little bit of work, but the program works good.

Dave.

Post by Oliver Steinmei » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>Try Ghostview and Ghostscript.  Works great for me.

>Only one word of caution.  I downloaded these files and found that
>although you could view files fine, if you wanted to flip the
>picture over, or rotate it, it completely crashed the system -
>beyond Watchcat's ability to help.

What version did you get?  Please note that the files on Hobbes are not
current (the last time I checked).  When I first used the Hobbes version,
I had problems, too (but no crashes).

Oliver

How can I view PostScript files.

Post by Si » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>What version did you get?  Please note that the files on Hobbes are not
>current (the last time I checked).  When I first used the Hobbes version,
>I had problems, too (but no crashes).

>Oliver

I've got GS View 1.3 and GS 3.33, both of which I believe
are the latest.  I got them all from
European sites.

Simon Hampton                      All comments are made

www: http://www.ping.be/~ping1309  (under development)

How can I view PostScript files.

Post by John H. Linds » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

In article

Quote:

>The subject pretty much says it all. I need to be able to

view
     some .ps files. I
Quote:>don't have the multimedia viewer and the files arent EPS. A

     converter of viewer

>(preferably native OS/2) would be a real life saver.

>Andrew Mark

In the same vein, I'd like to get my hands on a image
converter that will
take as input a .PS or .EPS file (even without a viewable
TIFF header)
and output the image as something else, e.g. a .WMF, .TIF,
.PCS, ....  It
would also be great if the converter would crop an image and
do some
black-and white image editing.  I'd appreciate any references
that anyone

clutter off
this news group; I'm only posting the question since the
strongly related
matter appeared.

Here's the details of the problem for anyone who wonders
why....  My
wife and I are using the music MIDI handling and notification
program
Encore 3.0 to produce small passages of music for use in her
music
theory publications.  We have to incorporate them into
passages of
explanatory text and into questions, and we use Pagemaker 5.0
for this.
The only output we can get out of Encore is the print output,
and the
.EPS is the only form of this we can do anything with.  We've
tried a
screen image clipper, but the output is too grainy for a good
publication.  Pagemaker and many other publishers can import
.EPS
files and print the image, but none of them can display the
.EPS image
on the screen and hence it's impossible to position the
image, or size
or crop it well in Pagemaker.  Hence we pick up the image
with HiJaak
PS, and output it as a .TIF.  Then we pick up the .TIF with
Ansel (an
OOOLD Logitech product, probably discontinued, but one which
does a
GREAT job if one is only dealing with black and white
images), edit and
crop the image, and finally import it with Pagemaker.  Of
course in all
this there's a glitch: HiJaak PS looses the ledger lines of
notes above
or below the staff, and we have to fix every little one of
them when
editing with Ansel.  Ah well, the music goes from Encore to
HiJaak PS
to Ansel to Pagemaker.

A few image converters count on an .EPS file having a
viewable TIFF
header embedded in the .EPS, and do the "conversion" just by
extracting
that header.  The .EPS output of Encore doesn't have such a
header.

Perhaps there's something a bit funny about the .EPS output
of Encore; I
know of 3 major pieces of software that have fouled up on it,
HiJaak PS
(the ledger lines; apparently the trouble is in GhostScript
which HiJaak
PS uses internally, and a few other conversion routines use
it too),
Panoramic for Windows (grainy output), and WIN-OS2 print
handling for
OS/2 v. 2.0 (strangely distorted output; I.B.M. first
provided a bypass
for the problem and then fixed it in 2.1).

Anyhow, thanks for any help.