Boot OS/2 from removable SCSI drive?

Post by Mike » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Greetings:

I was wondering if anyone has played with booting OS/2, either version 3
or 4, from a removable cartridge SCSI drive.

I've got a Syquest drive, and an Adaptec 2940uw. The Adaptec is set up
with BIOS enabled, its SCSI boot ID set to the Syquest, "enable
removable drive as hard drive" set to "boot only," and Int13 support on.
But when I boot from the OS/2 floppies and run FDISK, it doesn't even
pick up the syquest as an available drive.

Any suggestions?

Or does this configuration not even work?

Thanks

-Michael D'Amico

Post by Faisal Isl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Greetings:

>I was wondering if anyone has played with booting OS/2, either version 3
>or 4, from a removable cartridge SCSI drive.

>I've got a Syquest drive, and an Adaptec 2940uw. The Adaptec is set up
>with BIOS enabled, its SCSI boot ID set to the Syquest, "enable
>removable drive as hard drive" set to "boot only," and Int13 support on.
>But when I boot from the OS/2 floppies and run FDISK, it doesn't even
>pick up the syquest as an available drive.

>Any suggestions?

>Or does this configuration not even work?

>Thanks

>-Michael D'Amico

Greetings !

Please note that I am not an expert in this area.

Removable media support was *not* included in the original versions of
OS/2 Warp (3 and 4).  It came around later as a fixpak (FP 5 or 6 for
Warp 4, I believe).  What you may want to try is to make copies of your
original boot disks and update those with the relevant files from the
latest fixpak (On my system, one of the files is OS2DASD.DMD  from FP 8
for Warp 4). Remember to add COPYFROMFLOPPY=1 (or is it
COPYFROMFLOPPY=YES, somebody please correct me) in your CONFIG.SYS to
tell the installation program to copy the updated files from the floppy
instead of the old ones from the CD-ROM.

You may also try searching DejaNews for "Sam Detweiler" for more
information on this, or to get his e-mail address to send him a personal
note.  I don't know if this will work or not, but if it does, I'm sure
you'll share it with all of us.

May your computer be Warped forever.  Thanks.

: Faisal Islam         :  I use OS/2 by choice, and don't take   :

: 2116 Rose Hill Road  :  my throat or up any other orifice.     :
: Carrollton, TX 75007 :  Thank you.                             :

Boot OS/2 from removable SCSI drive?

Post by Michael A. D'Amic » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Greetings:

On Faisal's tip, I obtained the updated IDEDASD.EXE (OS2DASD.DMD, etc) from
the Device Driver Pak online. I continued to have problems, though, until I
updated the install disks with the latest Adaptec family drivers. At that
point, everything started working fine, and I'm now booting off the SyQuest
drive.

Next step - creating a complete disk image of the cartridge, including all
hidden and system files. I've heard of the products Ghost and Drive Image
(Drive Copy?) Does anyone have experience with either of these? Is one
suitable for making a complete copy of the bootable cartridge I've now got?

Thanks again

-Mike

> >Greetings:

> >I was wondering if anyone has played with booting OS/2, either version 3
> >or 4, from a removable cartridge SCSI drive.

> >I've got a Syquest drive, and an Adaptec 2940uw. The Adaptec is set up
> >with BIOS enabled, its SCSI boot ID set to the Syquest, "enable
> >removable drive as hard drive" set to "boot only," and Int13 support on.
> >But when I boot from the OS/2 floppies and run FDISK, it doesn't even
> >pick up the syquest as an available drive.

> >Any suggestions?

> >Or does this configuration not even work?

> >Thanks

> >-Michael D'Amico

> Greetings !

> Please note that I am not an expert in this area.

> Removable media support was *not* included in the original versions of
> OS/2 Warp (3 and 4).  It came around later as a fixpak (FP 5 or 6 for
> Warp 4, I believe).  What you may want to try is to make copies of your
> original boot disks and update those with the relevant files from the
> latest fixpak (On my system, one of the files is OS2DASD.DMD  from FP 8
> for Warp 4). Remember to add COPYFROMFLOPPY=1 (or is it
> COPYFROMFLOPPY=YES, somebody please correct me) in your CONFIG.SYS to
> tell the installation program to copy the updated files from the floppy
> instead of the old ones from the CD-ROM.

> You may also try searching DejaNews for "Sam Detweiler" for more
> information on this, or to get his e-mail address to send him a personal
> note.  I don't know if this will work or not, but if it does, I'm sure
> you'll share it with all of us.

> May your computer be Warped forever.  Thanks.

> --
> : Faisal Islam         :  I use OS/2 by choice, and don't take   :

> : 2116 Rose Hill Road  :  my throat or up any other orifice.     :
> : Carrollton, TX 75007 :  Thank you.                             :

1. Boot-Manager cannot boot from SCSI drive (1 IDE, 2 SCSI) Asus SP3G

Hi there,
  I have the CD-Version of OS/2 Warp and tried to install on the
following system:
Asus SP3G motherboard with onboard NCR SCI adapter in use
Toshiba 3501 CDROM
Quatum IDE Drive (harmless)
Quantum Fireball 1G (1st SCSI HD)
Conner Dunno (2nd SCSI HD, partitioned for Linux)

After installing the NCR driver on the installation disk, the
installation went fine up to the point where the setup wants to boot from
the HD the first time in order to continue its installation.
The partitioning is as follows:
The IDE drive contains the Boot-Manager partition (1st) and a regular Dos
partition.
The 1st SCSI drive contains three partitions:
 1. 700 Megs for DOS
 2. 140 Megs for OS/2 (this is where OS/2 was installed to)
 3. the rest again for DOS
The reboot yields the following errors after a considerable timeout:
SYS2025
SYS2027 (this is just the consequence of the first error)
The first reads something like 'error reading drive'.
The handbook says something about using the driver IBM1S506.ADD if you
have a local IDE controller (is that the case?) but I don't know where to
install this driver and I don't really know if that would help the boot
manager. It looks like it doesn't even get to try and load anything from
the OS/2 partition.

Anyone have an idea ?

Thanks,  Florian

And, how do I go about so that I can boot Linux from my second SCSI drive
with the boot-manager? I get the same error message. Of course, LILO is
installed on that very linux partition.

2. terminal server wanted

3. Syquest scsi removable drive under OS/2

4. Panzer Dragon Reviewed!!!

5. Boot from a Syquest 270Mb removable SCSI disk?

6. Lost Product Key

7. How: booting NT on 2nd SCSI from OS/2 boot manager on 1st SCSI?

8. PLI (40 Meg Removable) SCSI Drive

9. Syquest 270 MB removable drive and Adaptec 1540 C SCSI adapter in OS2

10. LVM & Removable SCSI Drives

11. Nomai 540MB removable SCSI drive

12. Problem with Removable SCSI drive