Trouble in Paradise

Post by Steven C. Den Best » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

http://www.zdnet.com/sr/breaking/980309/980313b.html

'The coalition of Java giants is going after more than Microsofts monopoly
on the desktop. Behind closed doors, theyre also going after each other.'

<snip>

'Alliance partners that saw a common enemy in Microsoft Corp. are taking
increasing pot shots at one another as they begin selling Java for the
enterprise. Novell, for one, is critical of Sun on several counts.'

'"A combination of companies are in charge of Java today, and some of us are
starting to see Sun losing control, as evidenced by things like lots of
hurried announcements. We are very upset at whats happened to pieces of
Java like the Java Naming and Directory Interface, which didnt make it into
JDK 1.2," says Chris Stone, Novells senior vice president of strategy and
development.'

'"Whenever any of us do something to Java, were supposed to give the source
code back to Sun," he adds. "That model does not make sense anymore. Weve
had to do lots of things to the Java Virtual Machine to make it work with a
network operating system like NetWare, and wed like to be less dependent on
Sun. Whenever someone else controls the source code, its a problem. Look
what happened to the Open Software Foundation."'

<snip>

'JavaSofts products are aimed at Microsoft, and Baratz credits Microsoft
with a very thorough understanding of Suns Java strategy.'

'"The big difference between us is were wrap and embrace and theyre rip
and replace," says Baratz, who remains optimistic about the alliance. "They
re building a complete vertical stackWindows NT, COM, DCOM, Internet
Information Server, Microsoft Transaction Server, and so on. Thats why our
partners are so enthusiastic about us. Oracle doesnt have all the pieces of
that stack. Neither does IBM or BEA [Systems]. Were all coming together
using Java as the glue to provide the same level of integration that
Microsoft provides."'

Trouble in Paradise

Post by Bob » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:43:14, "Steven C. Den Beste"

> http://www.zdnet.com/sr/breaking/980309/980313b.html

> 'The coalition of Java giants is going after more than Microsofts monopoly
> on the desktop. Behind closed doors, theyre also going after each other.'

> <snip>

Good article.  It sounds like healthy competition to me.  The coalition
is still together with the only party sort of half bolting being
Microsoft, yet even Microsoft is building Java solutions.

One can expect that the various companies will not all be happy all the
time.  The test of time will determine if the Java value proposition
holds together or not.  I see no complaining about that, just complaints
about how fast or slow the group is heading there.

BTW, did you see the new Yahoo Java game site?  Pretty cool if you ask
me.

They even have an ad up at the site looking for Java game programmers.

http://play.yahoo.com/games/

Bob O - Computing for fun

Trouble in Paradise

Post by josep » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> http://www.zdnet.com/sr/breaking/980309/980313b.html

What amazes me is that in this URL there is NOT ONE instance where someone
has pulled out and join MS or refused to cooperate.  I mean here are some
fierce competitors who are working together and cooperating.  They whine,
fight and complain behind closed doors but they continue to work together.
Java is truely an amazing success!

I'm not surprised to read about frank dialoge and disagreements within the
java community.  I liken it to a marriage.  Those expecting bliss or
paradise (as your thread title suggests) are niave.

Trouble in Paradise

Post by Rob Eamo » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> http://www.zdnet.com/sr/breaking/980309/980313b.html

>What amazes me is that in this URL there is NOT ONE instance where someone
>has pulled out and join MS or refused to cooperate.  I mean here are some
>fierce competitors who are working together and cooperating.  They whine,
>fight and complain behind closed doors but they continue to work together.
>Java is truely an amazing success!

>I'm not surprised to read about frank dialoge and disagreements within the
>java community.  I liken it to a marriage.  Those expecting bliss or
>paradise (as your thread title suggests) are niave.

Good points. However, the tiffs may point to a future unravelling of the
effort.

1. XGA-2 (IBM) and OS/2 - trouble in paradise!@#@!

This is a plea for help from the IBM techs in the news group.  I have
a stock IBM model 77 (486-66, 8MB ram, 400 MB HD).  When installing
OS/2 2.1GA, the system freezes after the reboot (after the install
disk and the first 5 disks).  By rebooting from boot disks, doing
chkdsk, rebooting again, the install continues to completion.

Once OS/2 is up and running, the system freezes whenever I run WIN-OS2
full screen, or any WIN app.  The freezing happens at any time (just
before the WIN-OS2 desktop comes up, or several minutes into an
application.  THis has been going on for a month!

[IBM tech support was no help - they passed my problem on the the next
level.  It took 2 weeks for a Boca tech person to call me (got my
answering machine- left his name and number).  I've been calling
almost daily and get *his* answering machine, but he never calls back.]

I've suspected a hardware problem with the XGA-2 card, but this
morning I tried something different.  Got the WIN-OS2 full screen
window up and just left it up for hours, no problems.  Finally, when I
started using some of the Win apps that come with WIN-OS2, it froze.
The freezing usually comes when I click on some menu choice or when
some window tries to pop up.  So now I suspect software problems.  I'm
using an 8513 monitor in VGA mode.  What's wrong with OS/2 that it
can't even run on an IBM system?

*ANY* help or suggestions would be welcomed.

BTW  I had originally added 8MB and was using a NEC 5FG.  Trouble with
that setup too.  I pulled back to the original configuration thinking
that perhaps it was the new memory or the NEC, but no luck.

Ads from premier issue of PC Tech Journal (Jul 83): 20MB Hard disk from
QCS - Cost: $2999.   Davong 5 MB int. hard disk... only $1465!

2. Database Modeling - Print database properties

3. Trouble in Paradise, part 2

4. SMC Swapbox

5. Trouble in Paradise, part 3

6. WTB: Used 7513

7. Palette manager: troubles, troubles, troubles!!

8. DNS Problem

9. win-OS/2 trouble and FP trouble!!!

10. Cyno's Editor 2.0 supports Java plug-ins!

11. Netscape and Win16 Plug-ins???

12. Comm/2 and Win16 Plug-ins

13. Win Plug-ins question