Warp Multitasking Is

Post by Bruce Teet » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 08:45:20

Subject: RE: WARP MULTITASKING IS

mdreyfus>Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup
mdreyfus>Organization: Interport Communications

"mdreyfus>Eat shit and die."

Mike, rarely have I encountered an individual with a better understanding
of his future.

Bruce Teeter
___
 * MR/2 2.12 NR * --T-A+G-L-I+N-E--+M-E-A+S-U-R+I-N-G+--G-A+U-G-E--
---------
Fidonet:  Bruce Teeter 1:109/347

1. OS/2 multitasking vs. Windows Multitasking?

Wiser heads will probably answer, but the key feature is that OS/2 uses
pre-emptive multi-tasking while Windows uses cooperative multi-tasking.
Meaning that in OS/2, it's the operating system's job to make sure that
each process gets some time, even if they are low priority. In Windows,
a process must relinquish time for anything else to have access to
the processor. This means that even a stuck process should not freeze
up OS/2, but it will frequently hog all of Windows.

There are some things you can try that show this off. Try printing from
Word or Ami Pro (Windows versions) while formatting a floppy and using
a text editor in a DOS text box. Windows will grind to a near halt. Under
OS/2, no worries. Hope this helps.

Chris Hall

2. General protection fault

3. Fix Packs - Am I am missing anything???

4. HP 5100 and Printer

5. To those who have Warp multitasking problems

6. Help me to find a suitable tape drive

7. Warp vs 2.1 Multitasking

8. NYC - Hot New Project - CORBA/C++/IIOP - Investment Banking

9. WARP MULTITASKING IS

10. WARP MULTITASKING IS UNSTABLE

11. Warp multitasking is a jo

12. Poor multitasking with Warp (why?)