BASEDEV not working right?

Post by Ron Ha » Wed, 23 Mar 1994 18:07:06

I have a problem trying to get to my second Hard Drive, which resides on a
different controller. The reason for this, is that the 2 drives absolutley
will not co-exist on the same card. They are both IDE drives, one is a 120 meg
Xebec (Kalock) and the other is a 345 meg Maxtor. I tried everything to get
both of them to live together on one controller, but no go. Maxtor informed me
the best way to make them work together, was to install a second controller
card, and sent me software that relocates it and loads a driver for it for
DOS.

Under DOS, this works fine. AND under Windoze. But, seeing how OS/2 SE for
Windows will not allow block device drivers from DOS, you have to use BASEDEV=
command. I set mine up as BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /V /A:1 /U:1 /T:10
It appears to work as far as there is no errors when it loads, and boot up
says it is there, along with the IRQ's and addresses. However, when I go to
OS/2 command line, it doesn't show up! I have the following drives in DOS,
A: B: C:(primary partition) D:(Secondary partition) E:(Stacker for OS/2 host
for E:) F:(Xebec 120 meg drive) G:(CD ROM) FDISK for OS/2 can't seem to find
it either. Here is all the basedev statements in my config.sys.

BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS
BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD
BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD
BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /V /A:1 /U:1 /T:10
BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD

Can somebody help me out here? PLEASE!?

takes unexpected breaks at times

Thanks much!

Ron Hays

| The views expressed herin, are not really views at all! |
| Just the ramblings of an over stressed bald man, Cheers |
|_________________________________________________________|

BASEDEV not working right?

Post by Bill Healt » Thu, 24 Mar 1994 22:02:31

>I have a problem trying to get to my second Hard Drive, which resides on a
>different controller. The reason for this, is that the 2 drives absolutley
>will not co-exist on the same card. They are both IDE drives, one is a 120 meg
>Xebec (Kalock) and the other is a 345 meg Maxtor. I tried everything to get
>both of them to live together on one controller, but no go. Maxtor informed me
>the best way to make them work together, was to install a second controller
>card, and sent me software that relocates it and loads a driver for it for
>DOS.

>Under DOS, this works fine. AND under Windoze. But, seeing how OS/2 SE for
>Windows will not allow block device drivers from DOS, you have to use BASEDEV=
>command. I set mine up as BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /V /A:1 /U:1 /T:10
>It appears to work as far as there is no errors when it loads, and boot up
>says it is there, along with the IRQ's and addresses. However, when I go to
>OS/2 command line, it doesn't show up! I have the following drives in DOS,
>A: B: C:(primary partition) D:(Secondary partition) E:(Stacker for OS/2 host
>for E:) F:(Xebec 120 meg drive) G:(CD ROM) FDISK for OS/2 can't seem to find
>it either. Here is all the basedev statements in my config.sys.

>BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS
>BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD
>BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD
>BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /V /A:1 /U:1 /T:10
>BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD

>Can somebody help me out here? PLEASE!?

>takes unexpected breaks at times

>Thanks much!

First Note that a single drive on a controler should be /U:0 (unit 0).
Type 'help ibm1s506' and pay attention to the /I option as used with
BASEDEV=MOREDASD.ADD.
i.e.
BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /V /A:1 /I
BASEDEV=MOREDASD.ADD.
BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /V /A:0 /I /A:1 /U:0 /T:10

See if this helps. Otherwise I believe you should be able to use a single
BASEDEV=IBM1S506.ADD statement with options for both drives.
i.e.
BASDEV=IBM1S506.ADD /V /A:1 /U:0 /T:10

|Bill Healton                    | Any Opinions, requests, advice, or offers are
|Delco Electronics Corp          | strictly those of the author and do not

1. BASEDEV=RESERVE.SYS not working?

According to
http://www.diamondmm.com/products/faxback/communications/1331.html you
can use BASEDEV=RESERVE.SYS to force an IRQ to be used for a particular
device. I'm trying to get a Creative Modem Blaster V.90 DI5660 (plug n
play with no jumpers to set anything) to work in OS/2 and have not been
able to do that (see my thread in comp.os.os2.comm if you are
interested). One of the things I'm trying to do is get the device on
IRQ10. (Win98 assignes it COM4/IRQ10/2E8. I'm trying to replicate that
in OS/2 in the hopes that this will get it to work). I've tried:
          BASEDEV=RESERVE.SYS /IRQ:3 /IRQ:5 /IRQ:9
With this the device gets assigned IRQ7. So I tried
          BASEDEV=RESERVE.SYS /IRQ:3 /IRQ:5 /IRQ:7  /IRQ:9
Then bootup complained that it couldn't process PRINT01.SYS and the
modem didn't get assigned any IRQ. It had a truncated entry in the
RMVIEW report.

According to the above web page, the modem shouldn't get assigned IRQ7
because, to quote the web page, "(IRQ 7 gets blocked automatically by
the PRINT01.SYS line.)"

I have Warp 4 FP 39.

Any idea as to what is going on here? (Of course what I really want is
the modem to work in OS/2)

Thanks
Jim

2. password

3. Faxworks Not Working Right...

4. Fs: Apple II Plus

5. Right Mouse Button Not Working

6. .NET Distributed Design Question

7. TELIX for Dos Not Working right for OS2

8. Unisys A-series T-27 TCP/IP terminal emulation...

9. Little Black Book/2 not working right

10. Mouse double right click does not work anymore

11. Start Minimized not working right?

12. OS/2 2.1 and Netware 3.12 not working right...

13. TOSHIBA 6x CDROM Not working right