LPR from winos2?

Post by Mark Lesswin » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have successfully setup my machine to take advantage of the LPD services in
my shop.  My question is, how do I get my winos2 apps to use the network
printer?

LPR from winos2?

Post by Claude R Trepanie » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have successfully setup my machine to take advantage of the LPD services in
> my shop.  My question is, how do I get my winos2 apps to use the network
> printer?

The only way I know to do this is to setup a local printer and use
lprmon
to redirect the lpt port to the tcpip print server.

Claude R Trepanier
Network Support
IBM Canada Ltee (Bromont)
a simple user, not a spokesperson......

LPR from winos2?

Post by Andr? Thibodea » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have successfully setup my machine to take advantage of the LPD services in
> my shop.  My question is, how do I get my winos2 apps to use the network
> printer?

Network Printing with TCP/IP from Win-OS/2:

  To print over the network from a Win-OS/2 application, you
  must set up your Win-OS/2 driver to print through a TCP/IP
  LPR Monitor.  First, create and start an LPR Monitor session
  in OS/2 that supports a logical port, such as LPT3, and points
  to the IP address and queue name of your printer.  Then,
  connect your Win-OS/2 driver to the same logical port.

    To create and start the LPR Monitor session:
    1. Open an OS/2 window.
    2. Change to your \tcpip\bin subdirectory.
    3. Using a text editor, create a file named TCPEXIT.CMD in
       the \tcpip\bin subdirectory.
    4. On the first line of the TCPEXIT.CMD file, type:
       start /min "LPR Monitor" lprmon lptx -sx.x.x.x -pq_name
       where:
       lptx     is a logical port, usually lpt3
       x.x.x.x  is the IP address of the printer
       q_name   is the printer queues
    5. Save and exit the TCPEXIT.CMD file.
    6. From the OS/2 prompt, type TCPEXIT to initialize the LPR
       Monitor. The LPR Monitor session will appear as an icon on
       your OS/2 desktop. Double click on the icon to see the LPR
       queue status. Do not close the LPR Monitor session. If you
       do not want to watch your job status, you can minimize the
       window. From now on, this LPR Monitor session will
       automatically start whenever OS/2 is re-started.

    After you have started the LPR Monitor, connect your Win-OS/2
    driver to the same logical port (lptx) that you set up the LPR
    Monitor to support.

Cheers

Andre Thibodeau
Yellowknife, NWT   Canada
--
         \\|//    City of Yellowknife
         (o o)    Dept of Finance, Systems Division

LPR from winos2?

Post by Krister Rosendah » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

:>>
:>> I have successfully setup my machine to take advantage of the LPD services in
:>> my shop.  My question is, how do I get my winos2 apps to use the network
:>> printer?
:>Network Printing with TCP/IP from Win-OS/2:
:>
:>  To print over the network from a Win-OS/2 application, you
:>  must set up your Win-OS/2 driver to print through a TCP/IP
:>  LPR Monitor.  First, create and start an LPR Monitor session
:>  in OS/2 that supports a logical port, such as LPT3, and points
:>  to the IP address and queue name of your printer.  Then,
:>  connect your Win-OS/2 driver to the same logical port.
:>

Ssshh, don't tell my machine that it "must" use LPR Monitor.
I have set it up to use LPDPORTD, also from WinOS2. LPR Monitor is not
started at all.
The WinOS2 setup is standard, I have the redirection to LPT2.OS2.

Then I have the OS2 printer object, called PRINTER1,  connected to \PIPE\LPD0
and, this is probably the trick, I have issued the command  SPOOL /D:LPT2
/O:PRINTER1

Note1: the name PRINTER1 is the one appearing for 'Physical name' in
Properties.

Regards,
Krister Rosendahl

LPR from winos2?

LPRPORTD IS the LPR Monitor

--
Sam Detweiler
IBM OS/2 Development

LPR from winos2?

Post by Krister Rosendah » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Sam, what is then the difference between LPRMON.EXE AND LPRPORTD.EXE that are
in TCPIP\BIN directory ?  I have specified in TCPCFG that LPRPORTD is to be
started automatically. I do not start LPRMON.EXE  and I do not have any OS2
printer attached to port LPT2.

The way I read the TCP/IP online help on Printing, LPRMON and LPRPORTD are
two different things. But I have been wrong before.

:>LPRPORTD IS the LPR Monitor
:>
:>>

:>>
:>> :>>
:>> :>> I have successfully setup my machine to take advantage of the LPD services in
:>> :>> my shop.  My question is, how do I get my winos2 apps to use the network
:>> :>> printer?
:>> :>Network Printing with TCP/IP from Win-OS/2:
:>> :>
[...]
:>--
:>Sam Detweiler
:>IBM OS/2 Development
:>Device Driver development and Support
:>OS/2 Advisor

LPR from winos2?

Post by Sam_Detwei.. » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

LPRMON is the slow way to manage output to the LPTx device
instead of the PM defined printers..

The problem is a DOS or OS/2 app that writes to LPT1..

there are two ways to cure this, LPRMON and the
spool command.. I use spool...

spool /d:lpt1 /o:queuename

then LPRPORTD handles all the sending, instead
of LPRMON and LPRPORTD fighting over the remote
printer all the time..

--
Sam Detweiler
IBM OS/2 Development
Device Driver development and Support
OS/2 Advisor

LPR from winos2?

Post by Krister Rosendah » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Right,  so we do it the same way; with LPRPORTD and spool command.

[...]

:>> :>> :>>
:>> :>> :>> I have successfully setup my machine to take advantage of the LPD services in
:>> :>> :>> my shop.  My question is, how do I get my winos2 apps to use the network
:>> :>> :>> printer?
:>> :>> :>Network Printing with TCP/IP from Win-OS/2:
:>> :>> :>
[...]
:>> :>--
:>> :>Sam Detweiler
:>> :>IBM OS/2 Development
:>> :>Device Driver development and Support
:>> :>OS/2 Advisor
:>
:>--
:>Sam Detweiler
:>IBM OS/2 Development
:>Device Driver development and Support
:>OS/2 Advisor

1. WinOS2: A patched Win32s v1.25 for install in WinOS2

[Followups directed to comp.os.os2.setup.misc]
I have gotten tired of having to edit the w32s files every time I have to
reinstall WinOS2. This only has to be done about once a year or so when I
clean up my hard drives and reinstall OS/2 and my two apps using w32s. But
when I do it's a pain to try to remember which file to patch!

Well, "NO MORE" I said and created a self-extracting compressed archive of
the w32s 1.25 install *with* the files already patched. I also want to share
this with the OS/2 community at large. So I put it on our WWW pages at:

    http://www.townsendsupply.com/era/OS2Stuff.htm

Please take a little time to view our other pages while there if you
decide to visit.

--
=============================>Team OS/2<=============================
#    Owner and C.E.O.  ERA Computer Consulting - Jackson, TN USA    #

2. CFP for 10th Workshop on DAI

3. To WinOS2 or not to WinOS2

4. Antialiased rotated fonts

5. How to install Warp Connect w/ WinOS2 *without* WinOS2?

6. Is there a Draw/Drawfile C library ?

7. WinOS2, VBRUN???.DLL, and OS/2 S.O.P.'s (WinOS2 hint)

8. Thread enabled?

9. LPR to a PC running FTP's LPD

10. LPR. PRINTING UNDER EMACS

11. eCS: LPR update?