Audacity

Post by Ma » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:12:18

Audacity 1.2.0-pre1 is a public test release of the free Audacity
sound editor.

It is open-source and built with WXwindows library..
Since WXwindows is also available for eCS-os/2, any1 is able to port
it with not too much difficult?

Thanx a lot for any help.

(under eCS-os/2 there isn't at the moment a good/working wav editor
app...)

max

Audacity

Post by Isaa » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 03:48:56

How much editing do you need?

Did you know OS/2 actually comes with a simple WAV editor?
There isn't much, but you can:
Cut/copy
Mix in from another file.
Add echo, reverb, or reverse a section, fade in/out, double/half speed,
change volume, etc.
And, well, it works and it's free.

Also, wasn't AudioStation Sequencer being worked on? Same guy as MIDI
station sequencer (shareware). You may want to talk to him. It's a
straight, OS/2-native, from-scratch creation and it's pretty good.

Another option is Ceres Soundstudio. I think this one is dead
(shareware), but at some point, somebody let out a registration code if
I'm not mistaken. You can decide on the ethics of abandonware.

Isaac

> Audacity 1.2.0-pre1 is a public test release of the free Audacity
> sound editor.

> It is open-source and built with WXwindows library..
> Since WXwindows is also available for eCS-os/2, any1 is able to port
> it with not too much difficult?

> Thanx a lot for any help.

> (under eCS-os/2 there isn't at the moment a good/working wav editor
> app...)

> max

Audacity

Post by dinkmeiste » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 04:24:06

The MMOS2 editor is good for "simple" editing (ceres too, if you're willing
to put up with the bugs) but we need a real audio editor, something that
doesn't leak massive amounts of memory[mmos2 wav editor]* every time you use
it
or append static to the beginning/ending of a large wav file randomly
[ceres]..  I know someone from irc thats working on wxwindows/2, next time I
see him I'll see what he thinks about Audacity.

regards,
- dink

* if you don't believe me, use theseus/2

:How much editing do you need?
:
[...]
:>
:> It is open-source and built with WXwindows library..
:> Since WXwindows is also available for eCS-os/2, any1 is able to port
:> it with not too much difficult?
:>
:> Thanx a lot for any help.
:>
:> (under eCS-os/2 there isn't at the moment a good/working wav editor
:> app...)
:>
:>
:> max
:

Audacity

Post by Paul Ratcliff » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 04:47:22

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:48:56 -0700, Isaac

> How much editing do you need?

Something that can handle large files, without creating a huge working
file, without blocking the message queue, without crashing on the simplest
operation, with a set of decent features.

Quote:> Did you know OS/2 actually comes with a simple WAV editor?
> There isn't much, but you can:
> Cut/copy
> Mix in from another file.
> Add echo, reverb, or reverse a section, fade in/out, double/half speed,
> change volume, etc.
> And, well, it works and it's free.

It does not work most of the time. If your only application for it is the
absolutely trivial, then it might work some of the time.

Quote:> Also, wasn't AudioStation Sequencer being worked on? Same guy as MIDI
> station sequencer (shareware). You may want to talk to him. It's a
> straight, OS/2-native, from-scratch creation and it's pretty good.

It's been effectively abandoned for about 18 months now. It never worked
properly anyway.

Quote:> Another option is Ceres Soundstudio. I think this one is dead
> (shareware), but at some point, somebody let out a registration code if
> I'm not mistaken. You can decide on the ethics of abandonware.

Who cares if it's abandonware or whatever as it doesn't work without
crashing either itself or your machine. It was also a dog, performance
wise.

Audacity

Post by Ma » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:01:09

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:48:56 -0700, Isaac

> > How much editing do you need?

> Something that can handle large files, without creating a huge working
> file, without blocking the message queue, without crashing on the simplest
> operation, with a set of decent features.

i've no special needs..

just cut & paste stuff, waveform zooming and normalizing...
nothing more..
but *working* for real..

Quote:> > Did you know OS/2 actually comes with a simple WAV editor?
> > There isn't much, but you can:
> > Cut/copy
> > Mix in from another file.
> > Add echo, reverb, or reverse a section, fade in/out, double/half speed,
> > change volume, etc.
> > And, well, it works and it's free.

> It does not work most of the time. If your only application for it is the
> absolutely trivial, then it might work some of the time.

> > Also, wasn't AudioStation Sequencer being worked on? Same guy as MIDI
> > station sequencer (shareware). You may want to talk to him. It's a
> > straight, OS/2-native, from-scratch creation and it's pretty good.

> It's been effectively abandoned for about 18 months now. It never worked
> properly anyway.

of course, the latest alpha is nothig more than a windows with some
ugly buttons  doing nothing...  :(

Cristopher has "disappeared" since 12/2002...
dunno much more..

and also the simple wav editor in midistation sequencer, crash with a
700megabytes wav file.. :(

Quote:> > Another option is Ceres Soundstudio. I think this one is dead
> > (shareware), but at some point, somebody let out a registration code if
> > I'm not mistaken. You can decide on the ethics of abandonware.

> Who cares if it's abandonware or whatever as it doesn't work without
> crashing either itself or your machine. It was also a dog, performance
> wise.

yes, i totally agree..
many probably the "average" os2 user think "applause.wav" is a big wav
file..

disgusting

see that most of os2 users aren't neither able to install an irc
client to come into IRC!!..
too much difficult for them..
we must use a (lame) java-web applet!..

sometimes it seems to me they still live in the jurassic era

:(

i'm an os2 (eCS 1.1) user too, but i live in the real world..

max

Audacity

Post by Isaa » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:14:25

[snip]
[snip]

Quote:>>>Did you know OS/2 actually comes with a simple WAV editor?

>>It does not work most of the time. If your only application for it is the
>>absolutely trivial, then it might work some of the time.

It works all of the time for me, if the file is small. But if you need
to handle big file, then no good I suppose.

Quote:>>>Also, wasn't AudioStation Sequencer being worked on? Same guy as MIDI
>>>station sequencer (shareware). You may want to talk to him. It's a
>>>straight, OS/2-native, from-scratch creation and it's pretty good.

>>It's been effectively abandoned for about 18 months now. It never worked
>>properly anyway.
> of course, the latest alpha is nothig more than a windows with some
> ugly buttons  doing nothing...  :(

> Cristopher has "disappeared" since 12/2002...
> dunno much more..

No, actually, I found him and just heard from him last week. He claims
it is slowly being worked on. Of course, that's probably because not
many users. If there were, it might be worked on more quickly. Or at
least more people who would express interest in it...

[snip]

Quote:> yes, i totally agree..
> many probably the "average" os2 user think "applause.wav" is a big wav
> file..

> disgusting

The average computer user, OS/2, Windows or whatever, does NOT work with
700MB .WAV files.  This is not an OS/2 issue.

The average computer user, OS/2, Windows or what not also does not use
IRC. Again, not an OS/2 issue.

Isaac

Audacity

Post by Luc Van Bogaer » Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:43:47

> Audacity 1.2.0-pre1 is a public test release of the free Audacity
> sound editor.

> It is open-source and built with WXwindows library..
> Since WXwindows is also available for eCS-os/2, any1 is able to port
> it with not too much difficult?

> Thanx a lot for any help.

> (under eCS-os/2 there isn't at the moment a good/working wav editor
> app...)

I've just tried running the Windows version of Audacity 1.0 under Odin
on eCS 1.1, and lo and behold, it seems to run almost perfectly : it
loads a 120Mb mp3 file just fine, and allows zooming, selections,
editing, export to mp3, etc. It's all still a little flacky (specially
the preferences dialog), and it has crashed already two times, but it
sure does what I want! A native port of this app would be ideal, but
this comes close.

--
Luc.
Come to Warpstock 2003! - <www.warpstock.org>

Audacity

Post by Ma » Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:06:02

> > Audacity 1.2.0-pre1 is a public test release of the free Audacity
> > sound editor.

> > It is open-source and built with WXwindows library..
> > Since WXwindows is also available for eCS-os/2, any1 is able to port
> > it with not too much difficult?

> > Thanx a lot for any help.

> > (under eCS-os/2 there isn't at the moment a good/working wav editor
> > app...)

> I've just tried running the Windows version of Audacity 1.0 under Odin
> on eCS 1.1, and lo and behold, it seems to run almost perfectly : it
> loads a 120Mb mp3 file just fine, and allows zooming, selections,
> editing, export to mp3, etc. It's all still a little flacky (specially
> the preferences dialog), and it has crashed already two times, but it
> sure does what I want! A native port of this app would be ideal, but
> this comes close.

please could you try to load a 650-700 megabytes wav (normal cd..)?

thanks
bye

max

Audacity

Post by Luc Van Bogaer » Wed, 03 Sep 2003 04:11:59

> > I've just tried running the Windows version of Audacity 1.0 under Odin
> > on eCS 1.1, and lo and behold, it seems to run almost perfectly : it
> > loads a 120Mb mp3 file just fine, and allows zooming, selections,
> > editing, export to mp3, etc. It's all still a little flacky (specially
> > the preferences dialog), and it has crashed already two times, but it
> > sure does what I want! A native port of this app would be ideal, but
> > this comes close.

> please could you try to load a 650-700 megabytes wav (normal cd..)?

OK, since I didn't have such a large file, I converted a 'huge' full
album mp3 file to WAV so I got a 515 MB file. Although it took about 2
minutes to load, Audacity takes it without a problem. I tried some
basic editing on the file : no problem. I'm pretty confident a
650-700MB file won't be a problem.

--
Luc.
Come to Warpstock 2003! - <www.warpstock.org>

Audacity

Post by dinkmeiste » Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:03:10

sweet, I'm gonna have to give this a try :)

regards,
- dink

:
[...]
:--
:Luc.
:Come to Warpstock 2003! - <www.warpstock.org>

1. Audacity 0.98b vs Awave Studio 8.1

Hello.

This message is not intended to be a "feature comparison", but is for
the purpose to ask the Gurus here what have I done wrong.

I have downloaded and installed both the Audacity 0.98b (freeware) and
Awave Studio 8.1 (crippled shareware) to try out.

The same hookup -

      Reel-to-reel machine ---> Computer

With Awave 8.1, I get the content of the tape with no hassle.

With Audacity 0.98b, I get the content of the tape, with lots of
hummmmms, probably impendance disturbance and whatnot.

So, the question to the Gurus -

      Have I done anything wrong ?

Both softwares (Audacity and Aware) I use the default setup. That is,
whatever the "setup installation" decides, I let it be.

In both case, the same setup applies - Same machine, same cable, same
tape, same location of the devices.

Why the "hummmmmms" using Audacity 0.98b, and none of those
"hummmmmmms" with Awave 8.1 ?

      Is it possible that I have done wrong in the set-up of Audacity
0.98b ?

Since Awave 8.1 is a crippled shareware, if it's all possible, I
rather stick with a non-crippled freeware. But the "hummmms" with
Audacity really pains me.

How can I cut out the "hummmms"?

Why is there no "hummmmms" using Awave 8.1? Is there a special
"filter", maybe even in the default setup of Awave Studio, of sort?

Is that kind of "filter" existed for Audacity 0.98b as well?

I know I am asking a lot of questions. I humbly ask you for
forgiveness and will be very appreciative for any help from anyone.

Thank you again !

Lisa

2. Looking for a Lotus notes mail conduit for a single user

3. FREE stuff (the audacity!)

4. 1200 w/ 120meg HD - $495