Upgrade from Warp 3 to Warp 4

Post by Richard » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
     I've been looking lately at upgrading from OS/2 Warp 3 to Warp 4. Is
anyone aware of any special steps I should take or any unique little quirks
that might arise. I'm not too concerned about hardware issues as everything
I have works just fine and has up-to-date drivers. I've applied up to
fixpack 26. What does the upgrade version of Warp 4 look for? If I were to
end up re-installing due to a problem, would I have to install Warp 3 the
"upgrade" to 4?
Would I be better off formatting and installing onto a clean partition? I
can arrange enough disk space to copy or back up any apps and data.

TIA,
Richard L

Upgrade from Warp 3 to Warp 4

Post by Mark Dod » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

The Warp 4.0 u/g is the same package as the full version, only
difference is the license.  A few people have successfully u/g a Warp
3 desktop, but most have met more problems then it was worth.  I'd
advise the clean install.

> Hi,
>      I've been looking lately at upgrading from OS/2 Warp 3 to Warp 4. Is
> anyone aware of any special steps I should take or any unique little quirks
> that might arise. I'm not too concerned about hardware issues as everything
> I have works just fine and has up-to-date drivers. I've applied up to
> fixpack 26. What does the upgrade version of Warp 4 look for? If I were to
> end up re-installing due to a problem, would I have to install Warp 3 the
> "upgrade" to 4?
> Would I be better off formatting and installing onto a clean partition? I
> can arrange enough disk space to copy or back up any apps and data.

> TIA,
> Richard L

//---------------------------------------------------------
// From the Desk of: Mark Dodel, RN, BSN, MBA
//             Healthcare Computer Consultant

//    http://home.ptd.net/~madodel
//
//  For a VOICE in the future of OS/2
//    please feel free to check out
//             http://www.os2voice.org/index.html//---------------------------------...

Upgrade from Warp 3 to Warp 4

Post by phill.. » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>     I've been looking lately at upgrading from OS/2 Warp 3 to Warp 4. Is
>anyone aware of any special steps I should take or any unique little quirks
>that might arise. I'm not too concerned about hardware issues as everything
>I have works just fine and has up-to-date drivers. I've applied up to
>fixpack 26.

If you want to migrate your Warp 3 configuration, you'll have to back out FP26.
Warp 4, based on a diverging codebase at roughly FP22, will blow chunks if you
don't do this.

Quote:>What does the upgrade version of Warp 4 look for? If I were to
>end up re-installing due to a problem, would I have to install Warp 3 the
>"upgrade" to 4?

Warp 4 Upgrade is an "honor" license, and doesn't require a SYSLEVEL token.

Quote:>Would I be better off formatting and installing onto a clean partition?

If you can't/won't migrate, this is recommended. If you have BootManager and
a spare 300Mb partition or two, you can install alongside Warp 3 FP26 and share
an APPS partition ;-)

Read through _Up and Running!_, twice, cover to cover. Choose an Install Method
and _do the worksheet_. Browse the CD and lookit all the goodies. Read the
READMEs, print out _at least_ README and README.INS from the root of the CD.

During the install, "Network Adapters and Protocols" _will_ trip you up..

After the install completes, Shutdown and reboot, for "good luck", before trying
anything fancy.. Selective Install and Selective Uninstall seem "confused", be
very careful with them. When you verify your installed components, items that
you _deselected_ have been installed - "Installer knows best". Use Desktop Find
to collect the FIpackage objects that IBM didn't tell you about into a folder, you'll
eventually want to blow away at least ART. Some follow-up component installs
(Peer, VT..) are buggy/broken. You will probably re-install a couple times
before you'll get a configuration to settle with. Do the Backup thang..

I find the on-line documentation poorly indexed and frustrating.

Upgrade from Warp 3 to Warp 4

Post by John Bru » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

**     I've been looking lately at upgrading from OS/2 Warp 3 to Warp
**4. Is anyone aware of any special steps I should take or any unique
**little quirks that might arise. I'm not too concerned about hardware
**issues as everything I have works just fine and has up-to-date
**drivers. I've applied up to fixpack 26. What does the upgrade
**version of Warp 4 look for?

The upgrade has no sniffer, so it doesn't look for an older version.

** If I were to end up re-installing due to
**a problem, would I have to install Warp 3 the "upgrade" to 4?

No

**Would I be better off formatting and installing onto a clean
**partition? I can arrange enough disk space to copy or back up any
**apps and data.

Most defintely. Don't install Warp 4 over Warp3. Some people may have
had success, but the hassles it can create are not worth it. If you
can, start on a clean partition.

Good Luck

John

Upgrade from Warp 3 to Warp 4

Post by rot1 » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>     I've been looking lately at upgrading from OS/2 Warp 3 to Warp 4.
>Is anyone aware of any special steps I should take or any unique little
>quirks that might arise. I'm not too concerned about hardware issues as
>everything I have works just fine and has up-to-date drivers. I've
>applied up to fixpack 26. What does the upgrade version of Warp 4 look
>for?

 Nothing. The 'upgrade' is an honor system; IBM assumes you already own
an OS/2 license.

Quote:>If I were to end up re-installing due to a problem, would I have
>to install Warp 3 the "upgrade" to 4?

 See above. The 'upgrade' and the full versions are the same.

Quote:>Would I be better off formatting and installing onto a clean partition?

 You're nearly always better off doing so, IMO.

"Man who stands on toilet is high on pot"

Upgrade from Warp 3 to Warp 4

Post by Mark Framne » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

#>
#>Hi,
#>     I've been looking lately at upgrading from OS/2 Warp 3 to Warp 4. Is
#>anyone aware of any special steps I should take or any unique little quirks
#>that might arise. I'm not too concerned about hardware issues as everything
#>I have works just fine and has up-to-date drivers. I've applied up to
#>fixpack 26. What does the upgrade version of Warp 4 look for? If I were to
#>end up re-installing due to a problem, would I have to install Warp 3 the
#>"upgrade" to 4?
#>Would I be better off formatting and installing onto a clean partition? I
#>can arrange enough disk space to copy or back up any apps and data.

I would not do that.  The only time I would do that is if (as in my case) the
installation botched up and I had one gadzillion previous desktop folders and
such.

The only quirky thing was the TCP/IP services installation.  I did not like
the way that was, but again there is a selective install which you can go to
later.

Take Care!

Spam *y trap!!!

FROM:  Mark Allen Framness

HTTP:  http://www.veryComputer.com/~farmer/index.html

URL for comp.lang.c NG:  http://www.veryComputer.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

To reply via e-mail, delete the given reply to address and delete the NO_SPAM
from the above addresses.
                                        &
All standard disclaimers apply.  Anyone who says otherwise is itching for a
fight.

1. Upgrading from Warp 4 to Warp 4.51 - question

I have a PC with a working Warp 4 FP12 system, eCS, and a not too
healthy Win2K.

I have the MCP, both 4.51 and 4.52, but haven't installed it over Warp
4.  If I do, will the resulting OS/2 system keep the pieces like Voice
Type, Bonus Pak, etc. that I have installed, but that IBM no longer
supports?  I suppose that if they get removed or disabled, I could go
back and selectively install them -- is that right?

I've been thinking along the lines of "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it."  But, I paid IBM for the new OS/2, so I guess I ought to start
using it.

Are there any gotchas I ought to know about that would smooth the way?
Thanks,
Colin

2. VAX 750/780 comparison

3. Upgrading from Warp 3 to Warp 4

4. OEM logo at startup

5. Upgrade from Warp 3 to Warp 4 - gotcha's?

6. ANNOUNCE: RHIDE Beta version 1.4.6

7. Upgrading from Warp 3 to Warp 4, anything to watch out for?

8. is there an OS/2 Warp 3 to Warp 4 upgrade available anywhere?

9. What? No Warp->Warp Connect Upgrade path?

10. Can I upgrade Warp to Warp Connect and retain my current desktop?

11. Upgrading Warp fullpack --> Warp Connect

12. Is there and upgrade from warp to warp connect???