Amipro 3.0 or Windows postscript driver problem

Amipro 3.0 or Windows postscript driver problem

Post by Golden Richa » Sun, 31 Jan 1993 04:52:27

Occasionally when an Ami Pro document contains footnotes, bullets,
images, drawings, or some such the postscript output that is generated
is incorrect.  The usual symptom is that the postscript printer will
simply refuse to print the page which contains the offending item (and
all subsequent pages).  Both Dataproducts and Apple Laserwriter
printers have exactly the same behavior.  The ghostscript previewer
indicates the problem as:

Offending command = setlinecap
Error = nametype: rangecheck

Stack = 22466  [this number varies]

I'm using Ami Pro under WINOS/2.    Lotus claims that it's a problem
with the Windows postscript driver and that using different versions
of the postscript driver will usually fix the problem.   Well, I've
finally run into a case where switching drivers doesn't dodge the
problem.

Has anyone else experienced problems with bad postscript output under
Ami Pro, WINOS/2, or Windows itself?     Any workarounds or fixes?
Amipro is hands down the best word processor I've used, but I can't
have problems like this popping up when I have critical deadlines to
meet.

Unfortunately I *can't* just generate some sort of printer-specific
non-postscript output because the printers in question are
postscript only.

Help!

--Golden
--
Golden Richard III             OSU Dept. of Computer and Information Science

Post by Pete Holsbe » Wed, 03 Feb 1993 10:01:35

=
=Occasionally when an Ami Pro document contains footnotes, bullets,
=images, drawings, or some such the postscript output that is generated
=is incorrect.  The usual symptom is that the postscript printer will
=simply refuse to print the page which contains the offending item (and
=all subsequent pages).  Both Dataproducts and Apple Laserwriter
=printers have exactly the same behavior.  The ghostscript previewer
=indicates the problem as:
=
=
=Offending command = setlinecap
=Error = nametype: rangecheck
=
=Stack = 22466  [this number varies]

Are you lucky! I just had this problem, and the solution is simple: turn
off AmiPrint ("print in background" under User Setup)! Lotus is aware of
the problem.

Post by Golden Richa » Thu, 04 Feb 1993 00:38:41

--
Golden Richard III             OSU Dept. of Computer and Information Science

Amipro 3.0 or Windows postscript driver problem

]=
]
]Are you lucky! I just had this problem, and the solution is simple: turn
]off AmiPrint ("print in background" under User Setup)! Lotus is aware of
]the problem.

Boy, am I lucky!  :) That works.  The person I talked to at Lotus the
other day was stumped by this problem; he requested that I upload the
offending file to their BBS so he could take a look.

Another "solution" that sometimes works is to switch versions of
Postscript driver (a Lotus suggestion).  In my most current bad
postscript situation, going to postscript driver 3.51 instead of 3.53
(as provided with WINOS/2 under 2.1b) fixed the problem.  Playing
driver roulette until the problem goes away is not an acceptable
solution, however.  I hope the Amiprint IS the real culprit.

--Golden

--
Golden Richard III             OSU Dept. of Computer and Information Science

Amipro 3.0 or Windows postscript driver problem

Post by Golden Richa » Tue, 09 Feb 1993 01:57:28

!
[lots deleted]

!=Another "solution" that sometimes works is to switch versions of
!=Postscript driver (a Lotus suggestion).  In my most current bad
!=postscript situation, going to postscript driver 3.51 instead of 3.53
!=(as provided with WINOS/2 under 2.1b) fixed the problem.  Playing
!=driver roulette until the problem goes away is not an acceptable
!=solution, however.  I hope the Amiprint IS the real culprit.
!
!How does one find out the version number of the PS driver?
!
!Another problem I've run into is a similar printer response (extra sheet
!printed with cryptic error message) when I've used a font the printer
!doesn't support.
!
!Pete

In the setup for printers under the control panel for WINOS/2, there's
an 'About' button.  If you press it when a postscript printer is
selected as the default, the version number will be shown.

--Golden

--
Golden Richard III            OSU Dept. of Computer and Information Sciences