Netscape News (Possible port?

Post by Vipin Bharga » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>>That's why I find the hype for IE 4.0 that's already starting to be kind of
>>funny.  I mean really, do we really want a browser for our desktop??  The
>>comments coming from the "experts" in the press sound exactly like those before
>>BOB was released.  How it will be great for the masses, all written in a very
>>condescending tone.  M$ could survive BOB bombing, but with all that M$ has
>>invested in IE, if it bombs, it could be the beginning of the end for the Evil
>>Empire.

>I don't get why the browser should be the interface either.

>Why should it be? I don't see any advantages, what have I missed that will
>make it so great?

>I personally like useing a seperate program, rather than a 'built in' on.

>I mean, if the text editor were to become just a part of the OS, I'd hate it.
>Because I wouldn't be able to replace it with something 'better'.

Perhaps that's the idea?  Kill off competition by making the OS the "browser"?

Vip

1. News Server Change possible with NR/2??

Greetings.  I have the IAK running with TIA, and I was wondering if it is
possible to access a news server at a different site (say IBM's).  I have
the IP for the other news server, but when I put it into my slip-pm
notebook, it just starts the one at the local site I dial into.  I tried
setting up a new host entry with the gateway IP of the news host I want,
and it seems to get started, but everytime I start NR/2 it briefly
flashes "Acessing The.News.Host.I.Want..." and then crashes.

I haven't tried this with Netsuite news yet, but I would appreciate any
suggestions.  I should add that NR/2 works just fine with the local
server, but there are some groups I can't get at that site....  <g>

Thanks,

Doug

--
I would rather be a foolish optimist than a correct pessimist.

2. HP 5L Skew problem

3. UUPC/2 - No News possible?

4. Mac ROM

5. PORTING A LINUX PROGRAM TO OS/2 (ALSO POSSIBLE SOL'N FOR DIAMOND CARDS)

6. CC65

7. Possible to fake a serial port ?

8. I/O-Port Access via C and OS/2 possible

9. Looking for support for OMS / OS2 - possible porting to NT w/i 12 months

10. Is formatting a parallel port zip with hpfs possible?

11. Possible to have external 5.25" 1.2 MB floppy drive with parallel port access???