CPU ID program

Post by John Poltora » Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:50:52

There is the source for info about a CPU here:-

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?url=/...

Can anyone compile it to work on OS/2? It does include some Win32 calls so may need some changes.

CPU ID program

Post by Frank Beythie » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:57:01

Quote:> There is the source for info about a CPU here:-

> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?url=/...

> Can anyone compile it to work on OS/2? It does include some Win32 calls so may need some changes.

The 16 bit version runs in winos2.

CU/2
--
Frank Beythien   fBeythien AT gmx.de

CPU ID program

Post by John Poltora » Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:58:55

>>There is the source for info about a CPU here:-

>>http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?url=/...

>>Can anyone compile it to work on OS/2? It does include some Win32 calls so may need some changes.

>The 16 bit version runs in winos2.

Yes, but it isn't much use from a CMD file.
Quote:

>CU/2

CPU ID program

Post by Crai » Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:41:28

John,

>>> Can anyone compile it to work on OS/2? It does include some Win32
>>> calls so may need some changes.
> Yes, but it isn't much use from a CMD file.

What is it you require?
This could be made to work but its way out of date for modern CPU's.  It
needs a complete rework for all the newer CPU's and alternatives like
AMD & CYRIX.

There's a Delphi component available that may be of more use but it too
will require major tweaking.
The problem lies with detecting the type of processor and then
calculating the speed it actually runs at as there is nothing in the
CPUID that tells you the actual processor speed, it needs to be
calculated from the raw speed via test runs of set algorithms.

So you see it ain't that easy but it would be very helpful if you could
tell us all WHAT you need to be able to have returned.

Trevor Hemsley compiled this list to use in his cpuid program just to
give you an idea if what you are needing to handle:

#
# This file contains cpu make and stepping numbers to description
# Comments are denoted by # or ; in column 1
# First column is manufacturer
# 2nd column is stepping number
# 3rd is level2 cache amount
# subsequent characters are the description
#
1 40? ? 486(TM) DX-25/33
1 41? ? 486(TM) DX-50
1 42? ? 486(TM) SX
1 43? ? 486DX2(TM)
1 44? ? 486(TM)-SL
1 45? ? 486SX2(TM)
1 47? ? Write-Back Enhanced 486DX2(TM)
1 48? ? 486DX4(TM)
1 49? ? Write-Back Enhanced 486DX4(TM)
1 4?? ? 486(TM)
1 50? ? Pentium P5A xMHz
1 51? ? Pentium P5 xMHz
1 52? ? Pentium P54C xMHz
1 53? ? Pentium P24T xMHz
1 54? ? Pentium P55C xMHz
1 57? ? Pentium P54C xMHz
1 58? ? Pentium P55C xMHz
1 5?? ? Pentium xMHz
1 601 ? Pentium Pro xMHz A-step
1 602 ? Pentium Pro 150MHz
1 606 ? Pentium Pro 180/200MHz
1 607 ? Pentium Pro 166/180/200MHz
1 609 ? Pentium Pro 166/180/200MHz
1 611 ? Pentium Pro xMHz A-step
1 612 ? Pentium Pro 150MHz
1 616 ? Pentium Pro 180/200MHz
1 617 ? Pentium Pro 166/180/200MHz
1 619 ? Pentium Pro 166/180/200MHz
1 632 ? Pentium II 300/333MHz 0.25?m
1 633 ? Pentium II 233/266/300MHz
1 634 ? Pentium II 233/266/300MHz
1 650 0 Celeron 266/300MHz 0.25?m
1 650 512 Pentium II 266/333MHz 0.25?m
1 651 0 Celeron 266/300MHz 0.25?m
1 651 512 Pentium II 300/333/350/400MHz 0.25?m
1 652 0 Celeron 266/300MHz 0.25?m
1 652 512 Pentium II or Xeon 266-450MHz 0.25?m
1 652 1024 Pentium Xeon xMHz 0.25?m
1 652 2048 Pentium Xeon xMHz 0.25?m
1 653 512 Pentium II or Xeon xMHz 0.25?m
1 653 1024 Pentium Xeon xMHz 0.25?m
1 653 2048 Pentium Xeon xMHz 0.25?m
1 660 0 Celeron xMHz
1 660 128 CeleronA 300/333/366/400/433MHz
1 665 0 Celeron 300/333MHz
1 665 128 CeleronA 300/333/366/400/433/466/500/533MHz
1 672 512 Pentium III or Xeon 450/500
1 672 1024 Pentium III Xeon 500/550
1 672 2048 Pentium III Xeon 500/550
1 673 512 Pentium III or Xeon 450/500/550/533B/600/600B
1 673 1024 Pentium III Xeon 500/550
1 673 2048 Pentium III Xeon 500/550
1 681 256 Pentium III Coppermine
500E/533EB/550E/600E/600EB/650/667/700/733/750/800/800EB
1 683 256 Pentium III Coppermine 500-933
1 686 256 Pentium III Coppermine 600-1000
1 68a 256 Pentium III Coppermine 600-1130
1 6b1 256 Pentium III Coppermine 1000-1333
1 6b1 512 Pentium III Coppermine 800-1400
1 6?  ? unknown Pentium family 6 xMHz
1 f07 256 Pentium 4 1300-1500
1 f0a 256 Pentium 4 1300-1800
1 f12 256 Pentium 4 1400-2000
1 f24 512 Pentium 4 1600-2200
2 43? ? 486DX2 xMHz
2 47? ? enhanced writeback 486DX2 xMHz
2 48? ? 486DX4 xMHz
2 49? ? enhanced writeback 486DX4 xMHz
2 4e? ? 5x86 xMHz
2 4f? ? enhanced writeback 5x86 xMHz
2 50? ? K5 model SSA5 (PR75, PR90 or PR100)
2 51? ? K5 model 5k86 (PR120 or PR133)
2 52? ? K5 model 5k86 (PR166)
2 53? ? K5 model 5k86 (PR200)
2 56? ? K6 PR166, PR200, PR233 or PR266
2 57? ? K6 PR166 through PR300
2 58? ? K6-2 PR233 through PR400
2 59? ? K6-3 PR300 through PR450
2 61? ? K7 (Athlon)
3 44? ? MediaGX xMHz
3 52? ? 6x86/6x86L xMHz
3 54? ? MediaGXm xMHz
3 5?? ? 80586 class xMHz
3 60? ? 6x86MX xMHz
3 6?? ? 80686 class xMHz
4 54? ? Centaur C6
4 5?? ? Unknown Centaur
5 50? ? Nx586 or Nx586FPU
5 5?? ? 586 class
6 41? ? U5D
6 42? ? U5S
6 4?? ? 486

Trevors program is probably the best bet to get something working fast.
  Help him compile the list of CPU's and let some of us work out a speed
calculating routine to use and you will have what you need I believe.
Trevor did a nice job of this little program and I would like to see it
updated too.

Craig

CPU ID program

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:19:27

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:41:28 UTC in comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, Craig

> Trevors program is probably the best bet to get something working fast.
>   Help him compile the list of CPU's and let some of us work out a speed
> calculating routine to use and you will have what you need I believe.
> Trevor did a nice job of this little program and I would like to see it
> updated too.

The problem with this is that it just does a lookup in the table based
on the processor version number returned by the cpuid instruction.
Intel release multiple speed chips with the same stepping numbers so
that's why you can't tell what speed a chip is directly.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

CPU ID program

Post by John Poltora » Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:44:00

>On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:41:28 UTC in comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, Craig

>>Trevors program is probably the best bet to get something working fast.
>>  Help him compile the list of CPU's and let some of us work out a speed
>>calculating routine to use and you will have what you need I believe.
>>Trevor did a nice job of this little program and I would like to see it
>>updated too.

>The problem with this is that it just does a lookup in the table based
>on the processor version number returned by the cpuid instruction.
>Intel release multiple speed chips with the same stepping numbers so
>that's why you can't tell what speed a chip is directly.

The program I mentioned includes a routine for determining the processor
speed, although I don't know if it can be ported to OS/2...

CPU ID program

Post by Mart » Mon, 27 Oct 2003 01:31:13

>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:41:28 UTC in comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, Craig

>>> Trevors program is probably the best bet to get something working
>>> fast.  Help him compile the list of CPU's and let some of us work out
>>> a speed calculating routine to use and you will have what you need I
>>> believe. Trevor did a nice job of this little program and I would
>>> like to see it updated too.

>> The problem with this is that it just does a lookup in the table based
>> on the processor version number returned by the cpuid instruction.
>> Intel release multiple speed chips with the same stepping numbers so
>> that's why you can't tell what speed a chip is directly.

> The program I mentioned includes a routine for determining the processor
> speed, although I don't know if it can be ported to OS/2...

Scitech has open source code to do this in the SNAP developers kit.

1. Ultimail user id copy of login id

Apparently Ultimail, on start up uses the login id specified on page 1 of the
dialer configuration notebook as the default mail server id instead of the pop
login id specified on page 3.  My service provider requires attaching .ppp to the
end of my login id for initiating ppp service.  Ultimail then uses loginid.ppp as
my mail user name - not what I want.  It also instantiates a folder labeled
loginid.ppp.  It is quite annoying to repeatedly enter the mail cabinet settings
notebook to delete the .ppp addition.
Why does it appear to not use the specified pop server id?
Can I configure around this?

Thanks.
Verne Stauffer
Koos Technical Services

2. Emacs 19.22 & TeX

3. Process ID and Session ID?

4. How to single space footnote in while 2X spacing the text.

5. Group ID / User ID bug with os9/3.0 ?

6. Using RCP to retrieve configurations

7. Cool caller-ID program - callos2.zip (0/1)

8. Acorn Network Software - Still Free!

9. Caller ID Program

10. Determining the process id of a "STARTed" program

11. REQ0815: The program cannot get the connection ID

12. Error Message: REQ0815 The Program Cannot get the Connection ID

13. Cool caller-ID program - callos2.zip (1/1)