VENDOR: Process Commander for OS/2!

Post by ward.. » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

        Announcing Stardock's Process Commander

    Allows OS/2 to recover from system hangs, remote management,
    and power tools help make Process Commander a "must have"
    OS/2 utility!

Monday, November 18, 1996  Stardock Systems, Inc. (313) 453-0328

Canton MI--Stardock Systems, a leading developer of OS/2 software, announced
Process Commander today. Process Commander, which has been in development for
over a year, will be generally available on Monday, November 25.

Possibly the most thoroughly tested OS/2 product ever, Process Commander has
undergone a rigorous public beta for many months. Many beta testers have been
using it in a "production" environment for some time.

Process Commander's most popular feature is its ability to allow OS/2 users to
recover from system hangs. When the system hangs, users can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del,
which Process Commander now traps, and brings up a full screen session that
allows the user to try to recover from the hang. Any user that has ever
experienced such a hang will likely want to get Process Commander as it is by
far the most reliable way to recover from a system hang. Many corporations
using OS/2 in a mission critical fashion will also want to take a good look at
Process Commander for this reason.

"If OS/2 were a car, then Process Commander would be the seat belts and air
bag." said Alexander Antoniades, Stardock Systems, Inc. "Anyone who values
their time and data will want to have it."

Process Commander also provides an enhanced shutdown. Now, users can tell OS/2
to reboot after shutting down.

"This is one of my favorite features," said Brad Wardell, Stardock Systems,
Inc. "My system takes quite a while to shutdown and reboot. Now, I can tell it
to shut down and get up and do something else while Process Commander takes
care of the rest."

A whole set of command line utilities also comes with Process Commander to
allow users to write scripts or perform process management tasks at the
command line. For example, Process Commander provides a true "Kill -9"
utility. Users can also change the priority of programs from the command line.

For OS/2 users that want to manage their programs/processes from an easy to
use environment, Process Commander also provides "Process Commander PM", a
graphical process management utility. From this program, users can view how
much shared memory a program uses, change priorities of threads, look at
semaphores and other critical pieces of information. For IS managers, this
program is particularly useful for improving OS/2's performance since it sees
and tells how much CPU usage each process is using. There are few utilities
available for tuning OS/2's performance that can match Process Commander.

Remote process management is also available. If an end user's system hangs or
a server hangs, an IS manager can remotely telnet to that system and terminate
the offending process.

"For corporations, this is a big issue," said Wardell. "If you have a server
hang, rebooting it is not an acceptable option. With Process Commander,
someone can usually make the server recover. This brings some Unix-like
features to OS/2."

Process Commander also extends OS/2's keyboard capabilities. For example, it
can use the new "Windows95" keys that are on many new keyboards. Users can
assign functions to the Windows95 keys now.

Moreover, Process Commander comes with an Assistant and Monitor that allows it
to keep track of what is running on your system. If your system has hangs or
has other problems, it can often diagnose what went wrong and present recovery
options.

If you use OS/2, whether in the home, at work, or as an adminstrator, Process
Commander is likely to be the most compelling OS/2 utility to have been
developed in a very long time.

Process Commander lists for $69.95 but Stardock has an introductory price of
$65. Stardock can be reached at (313)453-0328 or (313)453-1480 fax. Its
website is http://www.stardock.com. Users can order it at 1-800-672-2338.

Process Commander 1.0
List:       $69.95 ($65 introductory price)
Part No. 12W96PC
UPC No. 7-08192-01007-3

Requires: OS/2 Warp 3.0 or OS/2 Warp 4.0

Stardock Systems, Inc. 7977b Ronda Dr. Canton MI 48187
Phone: (313) 453-0328  Fax: (313) 453-1480          Orders: 1-800-672-2338

Post by vgol.. » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>        Announcing Stardock's Process Commander

>    Allows OS/2 to recover from system hangs, remote management,
>    and power tools help make Process Commander a "must have"
>    OS/2 utility!

Says who?

Quote:>Possibly the most thoroughly tested OS/2 product ever,

Opinion.

Quote:>Process Commander's most popular feature is its ability to allow OS/2 users to
>recover from system hangs. When the system hangs, users can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del,

I can do the above, now, without any fanfare or extra money.

Quote:> Any user that has ever
>experienced such a hang will likely want to get Process Commander as it is by
>far the most reliable way to recover from a system hang.

And what if it isn't?

Quote:>Many corporations
>using OS/2 in a mission critical fashion will also want to take a good look at
>Process Commander for this reason.

What is "mission critical fashion?"

Quote:>"If OS/2 were a car, then Process Commander would be the seat belts and air
>bag." said Alexander Antoniades, Stardock Systems, Inc. >

How is it possible to be both? Can you expand on this, please?

Quote:>Process Commander also provides an enhanced shutdown. Now, users can tell OS/2
>to reboot after shutting down.

Duh! I thought you can reboot only after you are shutting down.

Quote:>"This is one of my favorite features," said Brad Wardell, Stardock Systems,
>Inc. "My system takes quite a while to shutdown and reboot. Now, I can tell it
>to shut down and get up and do something else while Process Commander takes
>care of the rest."

I don't get it. What is "the rest?"

Quote:>There are few utilities
>available for tuning OS/2's performance that can match Process Commander.

Opinion.

Quote:>"For corporations, this is a big issue," said Wardell. "If you have a server
>hang, rebooting it is not an acceptable option. With Process Commander,
>someone can usually make the server recover. This brings some Unix-like
>features to OS/2."

The word "usually" can mean  "I didn't say it works ALL the time. . ."

Quote:>If you use OS/2, whether in the home, at work, or as an adminstrator, Process
>Commander is likely to be the most compelling OS/2 utility to have been
>developed in a very long time.

Opinion.

Quote:>Process Commander lists for $69.95 but Stardock has an introductory price of
>$65.

Perhaps $64.95 would have made the claim more compelling. . .

I saw this post in this group with the ANN: heading. Now, the same message
shows up with a different make-up    --VENDOR:

I wonder what will come next. . .

Spaming is spaming.

Post by ward.. » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>        Announcing Stardock's Process Commander

>>    Allows OS/2 to recover from system hangs, remote management,
>>    and power tools help make Process Commander a "must have"
>>    OS/2 utility!

>Says who?

>>Possibly the most thoroughly tested OS/2 product ever,

>Opinion.

>>Many corporations
>>using OS/2 in a mission critical fashion will also want to take a good look at
>>Process Commander for this reason.

>What is "mission critical fashion?"

>>"If OS/2 were a car, then Process Commander would be the seat belts and air
>>bag." said Alexander Antoniades, Stardock Systems, Inc. >

>How is it possible to be both? Can you expand on this, please?

>>Process Commander also provides an enhanced shutdown. Now, users can tell OS/2
>>to reboot after shutting down.

>Duh! I thought you can reboot only after you are shutting down.

>>"This is one of my favorite features," said Brad Wardell, Stardock Systems,
>>Inc. "My system takes quite a while to shutdown and reboot. Now, I can tell it
>>to shut down and get up and do something else while Process Commander takes
>>care of the rest."

>I don't get it. What is "the rest?"

>>There are few utilities
>>available for tuning OS/2's performance that can match Process Commander.

>Opinion.
>>If you use OS/2, whether in the home, at work, or as an adminstrator, Process
>>Commander is likely to be the most compelling OS/2 utility to have been
>>developed in a very long time.

>Opinion.

>>Process Commander lists for $69.95 but Stardock has an introductory price of
>>$65.

>Perhaps $64.95 would have made the claim more compelling. . .

>I saw this post in this group with the ANN: heading. Now, the same message
>shows up with a different make-up    --VENDOR:

>I wonder what will come next. . .

>Spaming is spaming.

While it's obvious you have something against us, it's a free country.  But
it shoudl be pointed that .announce posts are automatically posted to the
appropriate group by BIX.

This is your second post flaming a product you know nothing about.  So who
is spamming?

The fact is, Process Commander largely solves one of the biggest gripes OS/2
users have with OS/2: recovery from system hangs.  It also does a ton of other
useful things from supporting Win95 keys, allowing remote process management,
priority adjustment, the Num-Lock fix,  auto-rebooting on shutdown, etc...etc..

It's a free country, you're free to not like it. Instead of trying to hurt those
who are writing new software for OS/2,  perhaps you could spend your
time harrassing someone else like someone who isn't writing OS/2 software.

Sheesh.

Brad

Brad Wardell
Stardock Systems, Inc.
"Developing the Next Generation OS/2 Software!
Web: http://www.stardock.com  Orders: 1-800-672-2338

Post by William Unr » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>        Announcing Stardock's Process Commander

>>    Allows OS/2 to recover from system hangs, remote management,
>>    and power tools help make Process Commander a "must have"
>>    OS/2 utility!
>Says who?
>>Possibly the most thoroughly tested OS/2 product ever,
>Opinion.

And a bunch more like this. Oh come on. Yes, it is opinioin, yes this
was an adverti*t bythe manufacturer of the product. You don;t have
to read adverti*ts if you don't want to. And if you want to object
to an adverti*t, youput in a 1 line response (without repeating the
whole advert) " I would rather you didn;t post ads here." Your post
makes you look very very silly, and does nothing to accomplish your
ends.
Some of us like to see such ads- posted once, which Stardock's usually
are.
Sheesh.

--
Bill Unruh

Post by rmaho.. » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>While it's obvious you have something against us, it's a free country.  But
>it shoudl be pointed that .announce posts are automatically posted to the
>appropriate group by BIX.

  BIX is just the comp.os.os2.announce moderator's ISP.  So you should say
" .announce posts are automatically posted to the appropriate group by the
 .announce moderator."

  Like you need any more grief....<g>.

  Will Process Commander be available in Comp-USA or Computer City?

Bob
--
Robert Mahoney                    Have trouble spelling?
2Rud Software                     Check out SpellGuard

VENDOR: Process Commander for OS/2!

Post by Gary Hamm » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

*}

*}>---------------------------------------------------------------------
*}>        Announcing Stardock's Process Commander
*}>
*}>    Allows OS/2 to recover from system hangs, remote management,
*}>    and power tools help make Process Commander a "must have"
*}>    OS/2 utility!
*}
*}Says who?

The developer.

*}>Possibly the most thoroughly tested OS/2 product ever,
*}
*}Opinion.

Which is as good as yours.

*}>Process Commander's most popular feature is its ability to allow OS/2 users to
*}>recover from system hangs. When the system hangs, users can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del,
*}
*}I can do the above, now, without any fanfare or extra money.

And what is the result?  A reboot.  Nicer to have a chance to kill the
offending app.

*}> Any user that has ever
*}>experienced such a hang will likely want to get Process Commander as it is by
*}>far the most reliable way to recover from a system hang.
*}
*}And what if it isn't?

Then it isn't.  Let's hear your alternative instead of non-specific
*ing.

*}>Many corporations
*}>using OS/2 in a mission critical fashion will also want to take a good look at
*}>Process Commander for this reason.
*}
*}What is "mission critical fashion?"

Oh, you want examples and user-testimony, do you?  I think we can all gues
what is mission critical and what is not.  I'd imagine that the apps we
need at my work don't even exist at your's.

*}>Process Commander also provides an enhanced shutdown. Now, users can tell OS/2
*}>to reboot after shutting down.
*}
*}Duh! I thought you can reboot only after you are shutting down.

Hmmm, I thought that shutdown and have to hit C-A-D was the action you get
when you choose shutdown.  That is much different than the option to
restart.  Isn't it?

*}>"For corporations, this is a big issue," said Wardell. "If you have a server
*}>hang, rebooting it is not an acceptable option. With Process Commander,
*}>someone can usually make the server recover. This brings some Unix-like
*}>features to OS/2."
*}
*}The word "usually" can mean  "I didn't say it works ALL the time. . ."

No shit?  Imagine that, a program that isn't 100% guaranteed to be 100%
effective.  Call the software police Martha!

If you have nothing but snide remarks to contribute, perhaps you'd do
better to just sit it out.
If you have something you'd like the developer to provide, ask.  If you
actually have the app and it doesn't work the way you think it should, go
see the developer.

Just quit wasting my time, space, and limited patience.

Gary

Post by vgol.. » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> [...]

>restart.  Isn't it?

>*}>"For corporations, this is a big issue," said Wardell. "If you have a server
>*}>hang, rebooting it is not an acceptable option. With Process Commander,
>*}>someone can usually make the server recover. This brings some Unix-like
>*}>features to OS/2."
>*}
>*}The word "usually" can mean  "I didn't say it works ALL the time. . ."

>No shit?  Imagine that, a program that isn't 100% guaranteed to be 100%
>effective.  Call the software police Martha!

>If you have nothing but snide remarks to contribute, perhaps you'd do
>better to just sit it out.
>If you have something you'd like the developer to provide, ask.  If you
>actually have the app and it doesn't work the way you think it should, go
>see the developer.

>Just quit wasting my time, space, and limited patience.

_You_ decided to take the time to reply,  you used _your_ space
for the reply, and now you are running out of patience and blaming me.
Hmmmm, I can't figure that one out. . .

Post by Kurt Westerfel » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >Just quit wasting my time, space, and limited patience.

> >Gary

> _You_ decided to take the time to reply,  you used _your_ space
> for the reply, and now you are running out of patience and blaming me.
> Hmmmm, I can't figure that one out. . .

Certainly your original post calls into question.....what?  That you
don't
like Stardock?  Other than that, do you have a point?

--

   Kurt Westerfeld
   Stardock Systems Incorporated

Post by Gary Hamm » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:1996 15:53:59 GMT writes:
}>No shit?  Imagine that, a program that isn't 100% guaranteed to be 100%
}>effective.  Call the software police Martha!
}>
}
}_You_ decided to take the time to reply,  you used _your_ space
}for the reply, and now you are running out of patience and blaming me.
}Hmmmm, I can't figure that one out. . .

I understand that you can't seem to figure out too much of anything on your
own.  That you are a  person who has no solution, no answer, and for that
matter, no valid questions, is the problem.  Keeping your anti-social
habits out of the newsgroups is the answer.

Gary

Post by vgol.. » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote: Garry Hammer writes:
>}>No shit?  Imagine that, a program that isn't 100% guaranteed to be 100%
>}>effective.  Call the software police Martha!
>}>
>}>If you have nothing but snide remarks to contribute, perhaps you'd do
>}>better to just sit it out.
>}>If you have something you'd like the developer to provide, ask.  If you
>}>actually have the app and it doesn't work the way you think it should, go
>}>see the developer.
>}>
>}>Just quit wasting my time, space, and limited patience.
>}>
>}>Gary
>}>
>}

Reply to Hammer:

Quote:>}_You_ decided to take the time to reply,  you used _your_ space
>}for the reply, and now you are running out of patience and blaming me.
>}Hmmmm, I can't figure that one out. . .

Gary Hammer writes again:

Quote:>I understand that you can't seem to figure out too much of anything on your
>own.  That you are a  person who has no solution, no answer, and for that
>matter, no valid questions, is the problem.  Keeping your anti-social
>habits out of the newsgroups is the answer.

>Gary

   Don't hold your breath, cowboy.  I love it here. . .
" If someone calls you a jackass, ignore it.  If someone else calls you a jackass,
get a saddle."

VENDOR: Process Commander for OS/2!

Post by vgol.. » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I understand that you can't seem to figure out too much of anything on your
>own.  That you are a  person who has no solution, no answer, and for that
>matter, no valid questions, is the problem.  Keeping your anti-social
>habits out of the newsgroups is the answer.

>Gary

Why  Garry Hammer has the need to wash his dirty loundry in front
of everyone in this group,  is beyond me.

VENDOR: Process Commander for OS/2!

Post by Bjorn Fahlle » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

gary,

It's probably best to leave this guy alone. It's harsh responses
he lives for. It's silence that'll disappoint him, not followups.
   _
/Bjorn.
--
Bjorn Fahller                  Tel: +46 8 4220898 /
NA/EBC/FNM/T                   -------------------

1. VENDOR: Process Commander for OS/2!

*}

*}>---------------------------------------------------------------------
[...]

bitching.

[...]

2. DOS Compatibility card floppy write failure

3. Process Commander or CTRL-ALT-DEL Commander, which?

4. DSP56303 Reliability Problems?

5. Process Commander vs. C-A-D Commander

6. ATTN: Keil/Franklin 8051 developers!!

7. C-A-D Commander vs. Process Commander.

8. Dot Com Directory - Some Comments. NSI Please Read!

9. Process Commander vs. CAD Commander, anyone?

10. Process Commander vs CAD Commander (PC Wins)

11. VENDOR: Ctrl-Alt-Del Commander v1.5 for OS/2 Warp Released

12. Process Commander for OS/2!

13. Control Programs for OS/2 like WatchCat and Stardock's Process Commander