TCP's Best of Comdex Canada awards

Post by Kim Steen Henriks » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

http://www.tcp.ca/1996/96Aug/96AugCom/Comdex/Comdex.html

"Technological Innovation Award: IBM's OS/2 Merlin With built-in voice
 dictation and more intuitive, Windows 95-like interface, IBM's forthcoming
 OS/2 release shows that IBM is still dedicated to advancing the state of
 the operating-system art. Merlin's do-all plumbing shows a level of
 technological sophistication that makes it our choice in this category,
 despite the evolutionary progression of Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 and
 Apple's Mac OS 8."

--

Post by Tony J. Schlemm » Sat, 03 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: http://www.tcp.ca/1996/96Aug/96AugCom/Comdex/Comdex.html

: "Technological Innovation Award: IBM's OS/2 Merlin With built-in voice
:  dictation and more intuitive, Windows 95-like interface, IBM's forthcoming
:  OS/2 release shows that IBM is still dedicated to advancing the state of
:  the operating-system art. Merlin's do-all plumbing shows a level of
:  technological sophistication that makes it our choice in this category,
:  despite the evolutionary progression of Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 and
:  Apple's Mac OS 8."

: --

I Certainly don't like the wording of the above paragraph as it seems to
infer that IBM "copied" the Win95 GUI. From what I've seen of the Merlin
UI IBM certainly made it prettier but the basic functionality has always
been there since OS/2 2.0 came out in 1992.

Tony

Tony Schlemmer, Software Engineer
Objective Systems Integrators
100 Blue Ravine Road
Folsom, CA 95630
Tel. (916)353-2400 (ext. 2731)

Post by Simon Pasie » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>http://www.tcp.ca/1996/96Aug/96AugCom/Comdex/Comdex.html

>"Technological Innovation Award: IBM's OS/2 Merlin With built-in voice
> dictation and more intuitive, Windows 95-like interface, IBM's forthcoming
> OS/2 release shows that IBM is still dedicated to advancing the state of
> the operating-system art. Merlin's do-all plumbing shows a level of
> technological sophistication that makes it our choice in this category,
> despite the evolutionary progression of Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 and
> Apple's Mac OS 8."
>--

Yeah, but TCP has a _history_ of being bias towards M$. They may give
Merlin "Technological Innovation Award", but then they gave Warp an award
and then flamed it (unfairly IMHO) in their January 1995 issue when they
compared it to Windows Chicago beta. I have stopped reading this
publication especially _because_ of their Microsoft-centric coverage.
Going back to late 1994 and then early 1995 it was interesting to see
first the OS/2 users battle it out in the "Letters to the Editor"
column. After the OS/2 users left then the Mac users fought the same
battle in early/mid 1995 when TCP started flaming MacOS. When I picked
up one of the recent issues after not reading this publication for more
than a year, it was mostly a sterile M$ environment with M$ users
patting themselves on their backs.
The sad part is that TCP buys out small computer newspapers and turns
them to their propaganda. They did that with TC!
(http://www.canadacomputes.com/tc/). TC! (hey, that's where I picked up
the whole OS/2 thing) is just now started to come back and is truly
becoming what it used to be 2 years ago before TCP bought them. TC! is
again pretty neutral with their coverage of Mac, OS/2 and Windows issues
- something you don't see these days. As a comparison TCP is pushing 95
and especially NT these days (see http://tcp.ca/gsb/PC/NT-intro_ToC.html).
On the other hand they have HORROR stories, however legitimate, about
Merlin (http://207.6.135.253/  note: same author as the NT section). That
article is for registered users only, so you need to register first and
then follow the "Installing Merlin" thread (note: I can post the article
here, but it is very long!).
Nice to see that TCP is mentioning the word "OS/2" though. I remember
seeing several of its editions without a single use of the word
"OS/2", "IBM" was used 4 times, and I stopped counting the word
"Microsoft" once I got past 150.

Simon
--
"Imagine Windows booting up in your face forever."
                                      Robert X. Cringely, Infoworld.

Post by ca.. » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>: http://www.tcp.ca/1996/96Aug/96AugCom/Comdex/Comdex.html

>: "Technological Innovation Award: IBM's OS/2 Merlin With built-in voice
>:  dictation and more intuitive, Windows 95-like interface, IBM's forthcoming
>:  OS/2 release shows that IBM is still dedicated to advancing the state of
>:  the operating-system art. Merlin's do-all plumbing shows a level of
>:  technological sophistication that makes it our choice in this category,
>:  despite the evolutionary progression of Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 and
>:  Apple's Mac OS 8."

>I Certainly don't like the wording of the above paragraph as it seems to
>infer that IBM "copied" the Win95 GUI. From what I've seen of the Merlin
>UI IBM certainly made it prettier but the basic functionality has always
>been there since OS/2 2.0 came out in 1992.

>Tony

I agree, I didn't like the wording either. I never see win95's use of the
right mouse button referred to as OS/2 like.

1. "COMDEX!COMDEX!!COMDEX!!"

 >>  That sound you hear is the voices of hundreds of Team OS2
 >> members as they get pumped for the biggest event of the year -
 >> Fall Comdex, a.k.a. Victory In Vegas! They'll be coming from all
 >> over the planet: the wheat fields of Canada, the fjords of
 >> Denmark, the neon-lit streets of

 n> The last time I checked the map Dennmark showed no signs of
 n> having fjords. :-) Now, if you really want to see fjords -
 n> Norway is  the place to go. And we are only ca 60Km (37 US
 n> miles) north of Dennmark  :-) :-)

(*LAUGH*)  Steve, he got you GOOD here!!!!   This gets back for your singing
"knights of the round logo" once too many times ;-)  It's back to school for
you (*grin*)

Janet Gobeille - IBM Team OS/2 Support Programs

2. AS400 via Internet Browser

3. Anyone using Iwill ax100plus mb

4. smail configuration question

5. IBM Nowhere to be found at Comdex Canada 97

6. F/S Misc.Sun equip.

7. Comdex Canada and IBM

8. TEAMOS2 @ COMDEX/CANADA

9. Comdex in Toronto Canada