LPR printing to Linux print server

Post by Christian Vol » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

I'm trying to print from OS/2 V4 (FP5) to a Linux box running LPRng using
LPR. I've got the latest LPR from frp.software.ibm.com. but I'm still unable
to print. I get the following error message:

The entire document was sent. server reports the error: lp: file
'cfA450tp760.vcc.com112' name format not [cd]f[A-Za-z]NNNhost LPR failed with
return code -20011.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

- Christian

LPR printing to Linux print server

Post by Simon Bowrin » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to print from OS/2 V4 (FP5) to a Linux box running LPRng using
>LPR. I've got the latest LPR from frp.software.ibm.com. but I'm still unable
>to print.

What is LPRng (man -k gives nothing on our linux boxes)?  Warp
prints fine to our normal Linux and Solaris lpd based printers.

Simon Bowring

LPR printing to Linux print server

Post by Christian Vol » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>What is LPRng (man -k gives nothing on our linux boxes)?  Warp
>prints fine to our normal Linux and Solaris lpd based printers.

LPRng is an extension of the original lpr/lpd (see
http://www.astart.com/LPRng.html). It is the standard print spooler on the
Caldera distribution.

I compiled the latest version (3.5.4) and the error message is a bit more
specific, it complains about the print job number that the OS/2 lpr seems to
add after the hostname.

I scanned through the LPRng-HOWTO and the RFC1179 which tries to describe
lpd. There should only be the hostname at the end of the filename. I don't
know why the OS/2 lpr appends the aditional number.

- Christian

1. Printing with lpr VS printing with lp

Our unix server on campus uses lp to print with.

Since os/2 tcp/ip prints with lpr, I have been trying to get this to work.

I can give it a printer, and print the file, and all appears fine.  However,
all that I can manage to accomplish is 'disable'ing the printer.  I then
have to re'enable' it, but it still doesn't print out the file.

My guess is that lp and lpr don't expect the same things at the beginning of
the file, and lpr is sticking something on there that is screwing lp (and
thus, the printer) up.

Am I way off base, and more importantly, does anyone know of a way to fix
the problem?  Many thanks,

--
Kirby Vandivort

2. interix -- support? maillist?

3. Printing with lpr from OS/2 to Linux

4. Rumba Girls on 75 Brazil Street (Dj Mehone Edit)

5. Print to Unix-Server without lpr

6. backup, boot and re-install from cd-rom

7. Print servers and printing in general

8. WTB: QIQ 150Mb, HD2,1 Mb

9. Printing from OS/2 client to Solaris 2.3 print server

10. Printing to a Print Server

11. How can WARP print to a WFWG print server?

12. Warp 4 as Print Server for Linux

13. Printing to a Linux Server