Netscape 4.61 GA - Much slower, scrollbars are wrong

Netscape 4.61 GA - Much slower, scrollbars are wrong

Post by nobod » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I downloaded the Communicator 4.61 "final", it is MUCH slower in
displaying pages with tables than any of the previous beta's (or the
4.04's and 2.02's). Watching the cells & text draw in is tedious. Having
seen other people praising how fast it's gotten, I can only wish it was
the same for me.

Also the scrollbars seem to be the wrong size. They are not proportioned
to the size of the page as they are supposed to be (and as they were in
beta 2). I remember this problem occurring in the past (perhaps in the
4.04's).

I'm using Warp 4, Fixpack 11, Matrox Mystique 220 PCI video card with
the 2.31 Matrox drivers. I'm sitting here loading the same page, with
the same font settings & everything back & forth between 4.04 and 4.61
GA and the difference is extreme, the 4.61 GA seems to have some problem
with my setup.

I've tried changing my fonts but it does not seem to affect performance.

Anybody else have this problem? Any fixes?

thanks

Netscape 4.61 GA - Much slower, scrollbars are wrong

Post by nobod » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I should also add, when highlighting text with the mouse, there seems to
be some font corruption. The text in the higlight will be black. Also is
the age old problem that's been in every Netscape for OS/2 so far, when
highlighting the text "moves" a slight bit in a seemingly random
fashion, artifacts from the blue higlighting are left all over, some
"highlighted" text stays highlighted, even when you unmark it, certain
text is untouchable, etc. I only use OS/2 so I don't know if these
problems exist on the other platforms or not. I'm guessing that since
they've been left in there all this time that it's either supposed to be
that way (can't imagine that) or that it's too complex to bother with.

thanks

> Hi,

> I downloaded the Communicator 4.61 "final", it is MUCH slower in
> displaying pages with tables than any of the previous beta's (or the
> 4.04's and 2.02's). Watching the cells & text draw in is tedious. Having
> seen other people praising how fast it's gotten, I can only wish it was
> the same for me.

> Also the scrollbars seem to be the wrong size. They are not proportioned
> to the size of the page as they are supposed to be (and as they were in
> beta 2). I remember this problem occurring in the past (perhaps in the
> 4.04's).

> I'm using Warp 4, Fixpack 11, Matrox Mystique 220 PCI video card with
> the 2.31 Matrox drivers. I'm sitting here loading the same page, with
> the same font settings & everything back & forth between 4.04 and 4.61
> GA and the difference is extreme, the 4.61 GA seems to have some problem
> with my setup.

> I've tried changing my fonts but it does not seem to affect performance.

> Anybody else have this problem? Any fixes?

> thanks

Netscape 4.61 GA - Much slower, scrollbars are wrong

Post by lifed.. » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>highlighting the text "moves" a slight bit in a seemingly random
>fashion, artifacts from the blue higlighting are left all over, some
>"highlighted" text stays highlighted, even when you unmark it, certain text is
>untouchable, etc.

Is this another Matrox problem?

Jim L
Remove XX from address to Email
Crooks and kooks will get guns regardless of laws.

1. NS 4.61 Beta-->OK 4.61 GA -->NO GOOD

I just tried the 4.61 GA and it has problems here.  While browsing the
first thing I noticed was any site that have entry fields (search
engines or eBay for example) the fields are gone!  It appears they are
there but have been reduced to the size of a small line about one
character width.  I did noticed that I would get the cursor to change to
a text entry form (from arrow to the "I" looking text entry style) if I
carefully placed it over the small line.  However, if I attempt to enter
text at that point it doesn't take it!

I backed out of 4.61 GA and reinstalled 4.61 Beta and all has returned
to normal again.  Looks like the GA release is one step backward for me.

I am using a 200MHz Pentium board with 128MB RAM.  Video is a Matrox
Mellinium II 8MB PCI at 1600X1200.

Let's see if others have the same problem.

Don

2. matlab on UNIX server or on PC ?

3. ? Installing Shockwave under Netscape 4.61 GA

4. PBM: always reinstall Proxy 2.0 Client since W2K SP2 was installed :(

5. GA for download?: Netscape - Version 4.61 [en] - 990915

6. P III Frozen & Reset Doesn't Work--HELP

7. Netscape for OS/2, 4.61 GA Release

8. The following files have allocation errors:

9. Netscape 4.61 GA Does Not Recover From Error

10. bad netscape 4.61 GA (Strong encrypt version) cache bug

11. Netscape 4.61 Netscape 4.04 problems

12. NS 4.61 blocked on some sites-wrong version