New development computer

Post by Nuke'em.Till.They.Glo » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

     I am looking at upgrading the system I use for programming, and was
wondering if there is going to be a Warp SMP ( not the Warp Server SMP), and
a Merlin SMP. My choices will be between a dual Pentium and a Pro 200 single.

     Can anyone provide more information on the SMP versions? My guess is that
2 Pentium 166s will run circles around a Pro 200 - if SMP is supported.

Randy Rynkewicz

New development computer

Post by mcder.. » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>     I am looking at upgrading the system I use for programming, and was
>wondering if there is going to be a Warp SMP ( not the Warp Server SMP), and
>a Merlin SMP. My choices will be between a dual Pentium and a Pro 200 single.

>     Can anyone provide more information on the SMP versions? My guess is that
>2 Pentium 166s will run circles around a Pro 200 - if SMP is supported.

Probably not for tasks like compiling - unless you use something like
dmake, compilation is unlikely to benefit much from having more than
one processor.  Also, while there probably will be a Warp or Merlin
SMP someday, I don't think IBM has announced it so far, so unless
you can afford to pop for Warp Server just to get the SMP kernel,
I'd go with the faster single processor machine, or wait until we get
a more definitive announcement from IBM.

-- Rob
Robert McDermid     (Hummingbird Communications Ltd.)

                     and do not reflect the views of Hummingbird Communications

New development computer

Post by Timur Ta » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:13:35:18 GMT writes:

>     I am looking at upgrading the system I use for programming, and was
>wondering if there is going to be a Warp SMP

No.

 ( not the Warp Server SMP), and

Quote:>a Merlin SMP.

Merlin II will probably have it.  Don't ask me when it'll be out.

--

Architect, OS/2 Warp realtime MIDI subsystem
http://timur.austin.ibm.com/ (internal IBM only)

New development computer

Post by rmeiz.. » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Merlin II will probably have it.  Don't ask me when it'll be out.

Hi, Timur:

I sure hope they can be more inventive with the name than "Merlin II".
Perhaps "Mickey" or "Broom" ?  :->

But, I digress......
-BOBm

Quote:>>My Posts and Opinions are My Own<<