Anti-virus?! Local BBS won't hold OS/2 stuff till:

Anti-virus?! Local BBS won't hold OS/2 stuff till:

Post by The Dadd » Wed, 13 May 1992 02:09:51

Are there any virus scanning progams that check out OS/2 binaries?  A local
bbs won't put any up (software) till they are able to scan it, HELP!

Is there any history of any viruses in OS/2?
Thanks
Matthew

--

 Management Information Systems                                     HP 48SX
 Then I said,"But Sgt. Airborne, look how high we are!"    Gateway 2000 486

Anti-virus?! Local BBS won't hold OS/2 stuff till:

Post by Timothy F. Sippl » Thu, 14 May 1992 02:10:08

Quote:>Are there any virus scanning progams that check out OS/2 binaries?  A local
>bbs won't put any up (software) till they are able to scan it, HELP!
>Is there any history of any viruses in OS/2?

Use standard DOS scanning utilities (e.g. McAfee's tools, Norton
AntiVirus, Central Point's utility, etc.) or IBM's family mode (both
DOS and OS/2) virus scanning utility (something like $35 for unlimited
site license).  There's no need to have a special OS/2 virus scanner
-- virus scanning is fairly straightforward (just checking for
signatures).

There is no history of OS/2 viruses thus far that I'm aware of (as one
IBMer put it recently, "There hasn't been a market for them so far").
For various reasons OS/2 is likely to be more resistant than DOS to
viruses (see the FAQ List for information on why this might be so),
but no system is virus proof.
--
Read the OS/2 FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS LIST, avail. | Timothy F. Sipples

/pub/os2/general/faq, or via netmail from server | Dept. of Economics

1. GUI Interface to McAfee's OS/2 Anti-Virus (NEW)

:>
:>There is a Good GUI interface for McAfee's Anti-Virus program now
:>on Hobbes and ftp-cdrom.  I wrote it myself and am quite proud of it.
:>It is shareware and some of the features are disabled.  However, I
:>opted to allow most of the features as I trust OS/2 users.
:>
:>Check it out.  I hope you like it.  And by all means if you have any
:>good suggestions for additions to it, or have any problems, please
:>let me know.
:>
:>The file is called "bkill.zip"
:>

Actually, it's called bkiller.zip and in /os2/incoming on CDROM.

Chris in Atlanta
My World is Warped
Without Windows!

2. 3D Digitizer for Lightwave

3. What's the point in OS/2 anti-virus software?

4. Shock: Robin offers cash...

5. NEED YOUR HELP - IN RETURN COULD WIN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

6. CD ROM drive speeds

7. Opinions wanted on Dr. Solomon's Anti-Virus Toolkit

8. Uh oh... virus hoax becomes real life

9. Local Babbages: No Warp 'til AFTER xmas!

10. Q: OS/2 Anti-virus software

11. ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

12. OS/2 anti-virus program?

13. Anti-Virus for OS/2