OS/2 2.0 & 2.1 differences

Post by holmesb7.. » Tue, 01 Feb 1994 15:42:07

Hello, I'm new to this newsgroup.  I was going to purchase a used OS/2 and was
wondering what the difference is between ver 2.0 and 2.1.  This may be easy to
someone that runs it, but I've never even seen a computer that runs it yet.
I'm still stuck in 6.2 and would like to climb up the evolutionary ladder. :)

thanx,

-brando

PS by the same token, if you have a copy of os/2 or 2.1 with manuals and disk
please e-mail me with your asking price.

OS/2 2.0 & 2.1 differences

Post by Paul Flo » Wed, 02 Feb 1994 02:25:38

> Hello, I'm new to this newsgroup.  I was going to purchase a used OS/2 and was
> wondering what the difference is between ver 2.0 and 2.1.  This may be easy to
> someone that runs it, but I've never even seen a computer that runs it yet.
> I'm still stuck in 6.2 and would like to climb up the evolutionary ladder. :)

Well, if you do get OS/2 2.0, be sure to get the ServicePak on
ftp.software.watson.ibm.com, that fixes most of the bugs (and there were quite
a lot) in version 2.0. 2.0 only has Windows 3.0 support, so you won't be able
to run Win 3.1 apps, that is only a problem for programs that need Win 386
Enhanced mode. There are a few extra Presentation Manager controls in 2.1 not
in 2.0, but virtually all OS/2 software will work with 2.1 or 2.0+SP.

There was one other thing that was different, but it escapes me for the
moment. The ServicePak for 2.1 (not far away, hopefully) promises a 20%
speed up for the HPFS. Fingers crossed.

I'd say go for 2.1, if you have a CD-ROM, or at least, access to one and a stack
of blank diskettes, you could get OS/2 2.1 for Windows for $40, new price.

Quote:

--

Dover Street, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK                 Hwyl fawr i bob un.