Printing to a Print Server

Post by bnblis » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 06:32:55

I have a 3com router/print server and would like to setup my eCS system to
print to the server.  it uses a local IP 192.168.2.1, under it works fine
under Linux and Windows however I'm not quite sure how to set it up under
eCS (OS/2).  Any help is most appreciated.  Thank you

Ken

Printing to a Print Server

Post by xaos » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:52:42

> I have a 3com router/print server and would like to setup my eCS system to
> print to the server.  it uses a local IP 192.168.2.1, under it works fine
> under Linux and Windows however I'm not quite sure how to set it up under
> eCS (OS/2).  Any help is most appreciated.  Thank you

        The configuring procedures are very similar to those under Linux.

        On printer server: enable the "TCP/IP Protocol".
        On OS/2: 1. run "lprportd".
                 2. install the printer driver as usual, except re-directing
                    the output port to "\PIPEx" (x=0-7. If none, open
                    "TCP/IP Configuration" to increase the port number.).
                 3. open the properties notebook of "\PIPEx" you choose.
                    Input "Printer Server" as 192.168.2.1 in your case, and
                    the "Printer" the same as the printer name in your Linux.
        That's all.

--

        --- xaos2

Printing to a Print Server

Post by xaos » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:55:45

Quote:>    On OS/2: 1. run "lprportd".
>             2. install the printer driver as usual, except re-directing
>                the output port to "\PIPEx" (x=0-7. If none, open

        Sorry! It should be "\PIPE\LPDx".

--

        --- xaos2

Printing to a Print Server

Post by Bob McLella » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:41:51

Have a look at Netgear.ZIP on Hobbes. It may be of some relevance. You
need to fire up LPD to get the printer ports then set up a printer using
one of the ports.

> I have a 3com router/print server and would like to setup my eCS system to
> print to the server.  it uses a local IP 192.168.2.1, under it works fine
> under Linux and Windows however I'm not quite sure how to set it up under
> eCS (OS/2).  Any help is most appreciated.  Thank you

> Ken

Bob McLellan
The Little Blue Kiwi
OS/2 Solutions for New Zealand

1. Print servers and printing in general

Has anyone actually got an external print server to work with Warp?

I have one warp box, one ECS box and one solaris box
I also have a netgear ps104 hub which is 4 RJ45 and a parallel socket.
The printer is a HP laserjet 4L

The hub can function as a LPD server.

1) Printing ASCII text from either os2 box works but each print job is preceded by a page

2) Printing from the solaris box works for ASCII text but does not produce the extra page.

3) Neither OS can write anything that is graphical - printer either prints nothing or a couple of
reams of hex data.

4) I tried lprmon instead of lprportd and that prints ASCII & graphical data but the quality is
absolute crap.

5) Would I be better of trying a PS printer? Or, as I am inclined to do, forget the whole thing? :-)

TIA

Regards

Dave Saville

NB switch saville for nospam in address

2. Tags in reference

3. Printing from OS/2 client to Solaris 2.3 print server

4. ANSI C++ file handling prob.

5. LPR printing to Linux print server

6. XSLT bug?

7. How can WARP print to a WFWG print server?

8. S309 PictureBoxes not working in a frame

9. Warp Server and TCP/IP Print server

10. NT as a Print Server in an OS/2 Warp Server domain

11. Warp Server & TCP/IP Print Server

12. Print Shop Deluxe for Windows won't print landscape

13. OS/2 Net printing bug (was: Re: Q: Printing to AIX lpd)