2 questions for OS/2 gurus...

Post by Steven Wils » Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Two quick ones:

How do I switch the orientation of the mouse buttons in DOS sessions?  Is
there a command line switch?

Also, how do I disable my soundblaster support from some of my win-os2
sessions so I can run more than one session at a time withouth getting
that device already in use error?  I tried just changing the audio
adapter setting to "none", but I still get the error.

Thanks,

Steve

2 questions for OS/2 gurus...

Post by Clive Humbl » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Two quick ones:

> How do I switch the orientation of the mouse buttons in DOS sessions?  Is
> there a command line switch?

Anything running in an OS/2   DOS  session thinks, for all intents and
purposes that it is living in a real n86 computer.  It is not so much
that the DOS running is 'emulated' but that the actual 'hardware'
presented to the session (memory structures, interrupts, video,
peripherals etc) are 'virtualized'.  Anything 'in' a DOS session
thinks it's running on a bona fide _PC computer_ all of its own.

Thus, to change the orientation of the mouse buttons would require
a _DOS_ applet/TSR/whatever to accomplish it (if possible at all).

Incidentally, this 'virtualization' is why one can swap merrily from
windowed to full screen with a DOS session and not an OS/2 session.
The video isn't really there for DOS.. OS/2 (and thus the user) decides
what is available or not.

Quote:> Also, how do I disable my soundblaster support from some of my win-os2
> sessions so I can run more than one session at a time withouth getting
> that device already in use error?  I tried just changing the audio
> adapter setting to "none", but I still get the error.

You'll need to inform Windos that sb support is no longer required.
You do this from Control Panel/Devices.

Quote:> Thanks,

Hope this helps.

--
,c.
Clive Humble of Artists in Glass, England, Atlantic Ocean (+near+ Europe)

1. multitasking & speed: question for os/2 Guru?

I have some qestions about using os/2 for the following project and would be
obliged if you could share your thoughts with me about the best solution:

- I want to have one server (PC), sending two (at most) 1,5Mbps datastreams
towards two client PC's using two ethernetcards in the server (I want to use
TCP/IP and especially WATTCP source-codes for this). The client's initiate the
sending of the 1,5Mbps streams by sending commands through a RS232 connection.
I was thinking about using the multithread functions of os/2 and using buffers
to fill with the (correct) data which should be sent towards the clients
through the ethernet cards.

The reason I want to use os/2 is the multi-tasking environment, so I can use
several processes at the same time which control the filling and sending of
the buffers.

What I would like to know from you all, is if os/2 (with a fast enough PC
setup off-course) is fast enough to control several (large, MBytes) buffers,
filling them and checking if they are getting empty, and skipping data inside
the buffer on occasion, and sending the data through the ethernetcards. Could
os/2 perform this real-time function, or should I be thinking about using
something else (programming under DOS and creating my own "multitasking"
environment?). Reading about multithreading, I would say that's
exactly what I need to run several processes taking care of all things (no
user interface needed), if it is fast enough dedicating CPU-time to the
precesses.

Furthermore, what would be the best environment to do this? Borland C++,
standard C (I already know C)?

Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance and hope to read from you,

Alwin Mulder
Student at Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands.

2. type=any do to match MX record

3. Question for OS/2 gurus

4. Video Problem

5. Some basic questions to the OS/2 gurus

6. Read Only Attribute

7. Question to OS/2 sound and device driver gurus...

8. Trial version exceedingly SLOW

9. GURU question: faking the "ver" command response

10. WARP Guru Needed for Video Question

11. Guru question (maybe): LPT1 & DOS

12. Two questions for the gurus

13. Guru Question !!