sound on OS/2

Post by Wally Crap » Wed, 06 Oct 1993 04:36:23

I am wondering if there is a driver for OS/2 that will run
all of the sound stuff on just a generic pc speaker, as
opposed to having soundblaster...

sound on OS/2

Post by Jack T » Wed, 06 Oct 1993 11:26:22

> I am wondering if there is a driver for OS/2 that will run
> all of the sound stuff on just a generic pc speaker, as
> opposed to having soundblaster...

Here part of the README from os2/2_1/drivers/speaker.zip, from ftp-os2.
Is this what you need?

---

                   IBM Multimedia Presentation Manager/2
                            Speaker Audio DD
                               Version 1.1
           (C) Copyright IBM Corp. 1991, 1993  All Rights Reserved.
                     IBM is a registered trademark of the
                 International Business Machines Corporation
   U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
            restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corp.

Introduction

   The Speaker audio device driver provide support for playing digital
   audio waveform files on the standard PC speaker by using the
   MMPM/2 audio system.   This support is important because it allows
   non-multimedia enabled systems to play short sound effects and other
   short digitized sound through the PC speaker.

Caveat

   The standard PC speaker was not intended to play digitized waveform
   sound.  In order to produce a reasonable approximation of the
   sound contained in .WAV files, the device driver requires
   exclusive use of the CPU for an extended period of time.  This
   may have undersirable effects on performance critical multitasking
   such as communications, modem transfers, networking, etc.
   We do not recommend that this software be used in conjunction with
   communications software while communications are taking place.
   If you experience problems, you should discontinue use of the
   speaker device driver.

--

Jack Tan

[TEAM OS/2]

1. Printer port sound problem with Zip drive and Sound Producer sound card

Hi

I have been experiencing sound output through my speakers from data
sent to the printer port when I am accessing my PP Zip drive.  This
happens because my sound card is one that emulates Disney Sound Source
and Covox ( Aztech Sound Galaxy variant). With Dos, I have a spcox
utility that switches the emulation on and off.

Does anyone who owns a Sound Galaxy type card or Ochid Sound Producer
type card know how to handle this problem.?

TIA

Simon

2. handles returned by (get) & (findobj)

3. Sound in OS/2 like Windows (without sound card) for events?

4. Games on the Falcon

5. Sound in WinOs2, No Sound in OS/2

6. Interesting in developing a computer program that can evolve?

7. REXX: Sound.CMD --- simple sound player !

8. SYXG-50 not needed, try SYXG-20

9. Sound and Win/OS2: How do I TURN OFF SOUND?!!

10. Sound: WIN-OS2 sounds like a broken record

11. os2 sound/windoze sound

12. Sound card other then Pro audio or Sound Blast

13. ESS Sound Card Problem, Continuous Sound