Can OS/2 read NTFS ??

Post by <mi.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If so what's the trick ???

miked

Can OS/2 read NTFS ??

Post by Richard Stein » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>If so what's the trick ???

I think there's an IFS (Installable Filesystem) that supports NTFS, but
I have no experience with it myself.  Try this:

  ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/drivers/filesys/ntfs_003.zip

--

       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +
        WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!

Can OS/2 read NTFS ??

Post by Daniel Steine » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >If so what's the trick ???

> I think there's an IFS (Installable Filesystem) that supports NTFS, but
> I have no experience with it myself.  Try this:

>   ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/drivers/filesys/ntfs_003.zip

wrong, this archive contains only command line tools to access a NTFS partition.

For a TRUE OS/2 IFS accessing a NTFS partition look at
http://www.npw.net/~dsteiner

the vfat_005.zip archive contains an early support for reading a NTFS partition

  d. steiner, author of the OS/2 port

Can OS/2 read NTFS ??

Post by Richard Stein » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

>> >If so what's the trick ???

>> I think there's an IFS (Installable Filesystem) that supports NTFS, but
>> I have no experience with it myself.  Try this:

>>   ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/drivers/filesys/ntfs_003.zip

>wrong, this archive contains only command line tools to access a NTFS
>partition.

Oops!  :-)  Sorry about that.  :-(

Since I don't use NTFS here, I was making a guess.  Why isn't your util
present and clearly labelled on Hobbes?  A search for "NTFS" turned up
only the one hit (the one I apparently misrecommended).

--

       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +
        WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
         I am Lancelot of Borg. Resistance is Feudal.

Can OS/2 read NTFS ??

Post by <mi.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for the URL. I'm downloading the file right now. I'm simultaneously
using two OS's.

Since Win NT can read HPFS, I also wanted to use my tape restore working in
OS/2 to copy files that are on NTFS partitions.

miked

Can OS/2 read NTFS ??

Post by abst.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>If so what's the trick ???

>miked

Warp 4 can read NTFS files with the IFS it has, nothing else is needed. NT4.0
can read HPFS files without any other drivers, as well.  I have both connected
with TCP/IP and share files between them every day.

Can OS/2 read NTFS ??

Post by Steve Marvi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

:>>If so what's the trick ???
:>>
:>>miked
:>>
:>>
:>>
:>
:>Warp 4 can read NTFS files with the IFS it has, nothing else is needed. NT4.0
:>can read HPFS files without any other drivers, as well.  I have both connected
:>with TCP/IP and share files between them every day.
:>

Not exactly true. Warp4 can only read NTFS files if you load an aftermarket
IFS
(IMO it is called the FAT32 IFS). NT 4.0 can only read HPFS if you install
the
"pinball.sys" IFS that was provided in NT 3.51 and removed for the 4.0
release.

If you share files on a LAN with Netbios, neither OS needs the IFS for the
other one's filesystem - netbios on each computer does file access through
the appropriate OS's filesystem.

Can OS/2 read NTFS ??

Post by Henk kelde » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> :>>If so what's the trick ???
> :>>
> :>>miked
> :>>
> :>>
> :>>
> :>
> :>Warp 4 can read NTFS files with the IFS it has, nothing else is needed. NT4.0
> :>can read HPFS files without any other drivers, as well.  I have both connected
> :>with TCP/IP and share files between them every day.
> :>

> Not exactly true. Warp4 can only read NTFS files if you load an aftermarket
> IFS
> (IMO it is called the FAT32 IFS). NT 4.0 can only read HPFS if you install
> the
> "pinball.sys" IFS that was provided in NT 3.51 and removed for the 4.0
> release.

> If you share files on a LAN with Netbios, neither OS needs the IFS for the
> other one's filesystem - netbios on each computer does file access through
> the appropriate OS's filesystem.

FAT32.IFS cannot read NTFS only FAT32....

Henk
--
Remove nospam when replying..

Can OS/2 read NTFS ??

Post by Steve Marvi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

:>>

:>>

:>> :>>If so what's the trick ???
:>> :>>
:>> :>>miked
:>> :>>
:>> :>>
:>> :>>
:>> :>
[...]

Sorry, looked at the wrong msg - It is the VFAT IFS that has
NTFS support - read-only at the current level. See:

  http://www.npw.net/~dsteiner/os2/ntfs-top.html

Can OS/2 read NTFS ??

Post by Antony T Curti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> If so what's the trick ???

> miked

One of the VFAT IFS drivers has read-only NTFS support - it is a bit
flaky but good enough to read a few files...

Regards

        Antony.

Creator of PowerMOD/2 and other such things...

Site of The Universal Nexus  (http://nuts.ml.org/)