4 second pauses on IDE drive

Post by Kevin Low » Thu, 03 Feb 1994 00:12:08

Hi,

I have a 486/33 based on the OPTI chipset, and AMI bios dated 06/06/91. I also
have an IDE drive in my system formatted as HPFS. I'm using OS/2 2.1.

As I use the system, occasionally my hard disk like comes on solid for
about 4 seconds. It then goes off, then comes back on and everything
is fine. It's like the IDE drive ran into a problem, timed out after 4
seconds, then reset itself.

While this 4 second pause is happening, NOTHING on the system works. I
can't move the mouse, screens don't get repainted, etc.

I posted this earlier, and someone suggested that I get a later
version of the AMI bios. I just contacted the AMI distributers. They
assured me that they were on the beta program with IBM, and that the
BIOS dated above works fine. They have not run into this problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

--

Last week I forgot how to ride a bicycle.
  - Steven Wright

4 second pauses on IDE drive

Post by Ken Hildabo » Thu, 03 Feb 1994 09:30:41

>Hi,

>I have a 486/33 based on the OPTI chipset, and AMI bios dated 06/06/91. I also
>have an IDE drive in my system formatted as HPFS. I'm using OS/2 2.1.

>As I use the system, occasionally my hard disk like comes on solid for
>about 4 seconds. It then goes off, then comes back on and everything
>is fine. It's like the IDE drive ran into a problem, timed out after 4
>seconds, then reset itself.

>While this 4 second pause is happening, NOTHING on the system works. I
>can't move the mouse, screens don't get repainted, etc.

>I posted this earlier, and someone suggested that I get a later
>version of the AMI bios. I just contacted the AMI distributers. They
>assured me that they were on the beta program with IBM, and that the
>BIOS dated above works fine. They have not run into this problem.

>Does anyone have any other suggestions?

>--

>Last week I forgot how to ride a bicycle.
>  - Steven Wright

Why not identify the manufacture of the IDE drive. If its a Quantum, its
probably doing a thermal reset to compenstate for misalignment due to heat.

The Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory