Microsoft Java FAQ (oooh! juicy!)

Post by Steven C. Den Best » Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Well, Microsoft is now drawing its line in the sand. The FAQ pulls no
punches.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Here are a few pithy quotes:

"Microsoft is absolutely committed to full compatibility with the Java
language and bytecodes."

"Microsoft is not committed to supporting any class library that happens to
be given the Java name."

"JFC is a great example of how Sun retards innovation in the market."

"Microsoft began its Application Foundation Classes (AFC) effort over a year
ago to provide a better GUI toolkit to Java developers. We announced this
technology in January and first shipped it to developers in April. Through
this period, Sun seemed oblivious to the dissatisfaction of developers with
AWT. Only after Microsoft shipped AFC did Sun begin to respond."

"JNI is slower than RNI and offers no other advantages. Being late to market
with an inferior product is not a good way to be successful. Notice also
that Netscape does not support JNI, so developers should be very leery of
using JNI if they are interested in running on popular browsers."

To see more * and gore, check it out.

--
Den Beste, Steven C.   "The art of command lies in thinking ahead."

"The OS/2 Feel-Bad Page"  http://www.veryComputer.com/~denbeste
     "Death of a Thousand Cuts" updated 9/16/97

Microsoft Java FAQ (oooh! juicy!)

Post by James Owe » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> "Being late to market
> with an inferior product is not a good way to be successful."

Microsoft said that?

--

                                     Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Post by pcgu.. » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

|| "Being late to market
|| with an inferior product is not a good way to be successful."
|
|Microsoft said that?

They sure did, and it figures; since, their strategy has
always been to be first to market with an _inferior_ product...

Phil "Guido" Cava   TeamOS/2
Help, PC!
Let us help you achieve Warp Speed today!

Quote:> Proud Member Jeff Glatt's OS/2 Zealots list since 01-MAR-97!

Post by rj friedm » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> "Being late to market
> with an inferior product is not a good way to be successful."

Microsoft said that?

I guess they forgot to add: Unless you have a lock on the preload
market - then you can do whatever the hell you want and make the
industry take it and like it.

James Owens

[RJ]                 OS/2 - Live it, or live with it.
rj friedman          Team ABW

To send email - remove the `xyz'

1. INFO: IBM Java FAQ & Java and Warp 3

[Followups directed to comp.os.os2.programmer.misc]
Some of you may have missed this information in the excitement after
the Java 1.1.4 release was announced.

Java has been updated to the 1.1.x level. IBM is supporting a "released"
level 1.1.4 Java on Warp 4 (Merlin). see:
   http://www.ibm.com/java/jdk/jdkfaq/

Java for Warp 3.0 is currently a Java level 1.02 which is a "beta" release
version. The IBM site indicates that IBM will not necessarily be porting
later Java versions to OS/2 Warp 3.0. see:
    http://www.ibm.com/java/jdk/jdkfaq/faq26.html
and http://ncc.hursley.ibm.com/javainfo/Developer/index.html

Since I am currently using Warp 3.0, I am concerned because new Java
applications are requiring 1.1 level.

Some other useful OS/2 related Java links can be located at:
    http://javaos2.ml.org/Java/
    http://www.os2ss.com/links/programming-java.html

--
Mick

Anti spam links http://spam.abuse.net
http://www.ao.net/waytosuccess/nospam.html
http://www.cauce.org promoting legislation to make spam illegal

2. LINEAS ISDN box users

3. *** FAQ: Committee to Fight Microsoft

4. Publishing Excel XP pivot tables to the web issues

5. Java, Java and more Java questions?

6. DigitalLink DL551VX <-> Canoga 2240

7. Java and Sun win over Microsoft

8. OCR software CatchWord OK under OS/2!!!

9. Inter@ctive Week Online: "Sun blames Microsoft as its Java standardization plans die"

10. "Apple and Microsoft to Unify Java Technologies for the Macintosh"

11. Microsoft just posted their Java contract with Sun

12. MICROSOFT ATTACKS PURE JAVA