saned - could not find `sane' service

Post by Mick Barr » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:36:05

Can someone tell me what the problem is here and how to fix it.

D:\PROGRAMME\Multimedia\josi>saned -d
D:\PROGRAMME\Multimedia\josi\saned.exe: could not find `sane' service
(Error 0)
D:\PROGRAMME\Multimedia\josi\saned.exe: using default port 6566

TIA
mick

Post by Al Sava » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:51:21

> Can someone tell me what the problem is here and how to fix it.

> D:\PROGRAMME\Multimedia\josi>saned -d
> D:\PROGRAMME\Multimedia\josi\saned.exe: could not find `sane' service
> (Error 0)
> D:\PROGRAMME\Multimedia\josi\saned.exe: using default port 6566

Hello, Mick:

I'm also on the SANE eGroups/Yahoo! list, and have been kind of
following the discussion there.

My impression was that the fellow who ported the 1.0x series didn't try
too hard to get saned working.  Heck, I'm not too sure that even the
0.74 version of saned worked.  I know you'd like to have JOSI supported
in OS/2, but without a working saned, I don't know how you'd do it.

You'd probably have a better shot posting this over at Mostang, or even
comp.os.os2.apps .  I have a feeling that it's going to have to be
approached from the SANE side of things rather than the OS/2 side, and
that it's a porting issue rather than a configuration issue, but that's
just me on the outside looking in.

I gave up on SANE six months ago because versions after 0.74 no longer
supported my scanner at the time: HP 5P, a very common SCSI scanner.
Even with the excellent replacement/updated ASPIROUT.SYS.  I eventually
gave up scanning with OS/2 altogether and now use a networked Win box
thats sole purpose in life is to hold up the huge Mustek A3 1200 Paragon
scanner I've got.  Well, that and talk to my digital camera, which Ricoh
won't release any information for, so DCITU can't support it.

But, boy-oh-boy, SANE was worth every penny I paid for it, I'll give it
that much.
--
Regards,
Al S.

* Hillman & Rootes Group manuals online: http://asavage.fdns.net/Hillman
* Ford Falcon manuals online:                  http://FalconFAQ.fdns.net

saned - could not find `sane' service

Post by Mick Barr » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:33:17

It sounds like the following line needs to be added to the services file
in the etc directory:

sane   6566/tcp

where 6566 is the port for sane to use (6566 is the SANE standard).

mick

Thanks to Paul Floyd for this answer.

Post by John Poltora » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:18:18

> Can someone tell me what the problem is here and how to fix it.

> D:\PROGRAMME\Multimedia\josi>saned -d
> D:\PROGRAMME\Multimedia\josi\saned.exe: could not find `sane' service
> (Error 0)
> D:\PROGRAMME\Multimedia\josi\saned.exe: using default port 6566

Erm...

What's SANED? And how can I get hold of it?

Quote:> TIA

--
John

saned - could not find `sane' service

Post by Mick Barr » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:14:18

saned is a network daemon for talking to SANE Scanner. It allows a SANE
client to scan from a SANE scanner on a different machine on the
network.
SANE is available at http://www.mostang.com/sane

mick
http://www.objects.com.au

PS. If you're interested we have a SANE client available at
http://www.objects.com.au/products/josi/scanlite :-)

Post by John Poltora » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:35:11

> saned is a network daemon for talking to SANE Scanner. It allows a SANE
> client to scan from a SANE scanner on a different machine on the
> network.
> SANE is available at http://www.mostang.com/sane

> mick
> http://www.objects.com.au

> PS. If you're interested we have a SANE client available at
> http://www.objects.com.au/products/josi/scanlite :-)

I would be interested if a SANED was available...

Is there an OS/2 daemon available from MOSTANG?

--
John

saned - could not find `sane' service

Post by Mick Barr » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 02:40:44

Yes I think there are some OS/2 binary links at the bottom of the
download page.

Post by Al Sava » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 02:50:07

> > saned is a network daemon for talking to SANE Scanner. It allows a SANE
> > client to scan from a SANE scanner on a different machine on the
> > network.
> > SANE is available at http://www.mostang.com/sane

> > PS. If you're interested we have a SANE client available at
> > http://www.objects.com.au/products/josi/scanlite :-)

> I would be interested if a SANED was available...

> Is there an OS/2 daemon available from MOSTANG?

For binaries, Mostang points you to Paul Floyd's SANE-OS/2 page:
        http://paulf.free.fr/sane-os2.html
which points you to hobbes
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/graphics/scan/sane101b1.zip
which contains
        saned.exe      28,676 .a..  6-21-99
or
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/graphics/scan/sane-1.0.3-beta1.zip
which contains
        saned.exe     802,820 .a.. 10-18-00

I also have 1.0.3 betas 1 through 6 available on my server:
ftp://asavage.fdns.net/OS2/
the last dated the end of November, when I stopped playing with it, but
those other betas do not contain saned.exe, only scanimage.exe .

--

Post by Zeppeli » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:24:01

> My impression was that the fellow who ported the 1.0x series didn't try
> too hard to get saned working.  Heck, I'm not too sure that even the
> 0.74 version of saned worked.  I know you'd like to have JOSI supported
> in OS/2, but without a working saned, I don't know how you'd do it.

U'mmm (fwiw)....I was of the "scanning is for mainstream OS users" school of
thought until this year, though I've been wanting a scanner...

Then, a PC sURPLUS liquidator I frequent had scads of "Mustek 6000"'s for
$35.00, and I figured "what the hell!?"

It was a scsi *, coming with a 25 pin D-shell ISA scsi controller,
and no matter what I tried, the beast would not live on the 50 pin SCSI
array of my AHA 2940U2W card,...not even IN WINDOWS (e'wwwwww)

So, if "some" misery is fun, "LOTS" of misery is GRANDE, is it not? Went out
and bought the best SCSI II scanner I could find that DID NOT INCLUDE, nor
RECOMMEND a specific  SCSI controller. (believe it or not, "this" was
exactly my shopping criteria) I got a $299.00 Epson "Perfection" 1640 SU,
having only one 50 pin mini-centronics connector, and  being a MANDATORY
Self terminating  "end of array" scsi device.

Oddly>> the system booted fine first time out, with scanner connected to the
"end turned out" of the 50 pin connector that has my cd drives etc, and
after the PM SANE v .74 was installed (with the improved ASPIROUTER you
mention) and I scanned several images under OS/2 (that session) and was
extatic.. EXCEPT, the SYSTEM would NEVER AGAIN BOOT WITH THE SCANNER AS THE
END DEVICE on this shared array,

But, in addition to the  68 pin LVD  and 50 pin  SCSI connectors, the
2940U2W also has a "standard" 68 pin wide scsi connector that was not used
for anything, so, with a 68 pin "wide scsi" ribbon, connected to a 50 pin
"high bit terminated" passthru connector, and a 50 pin external cable, the
thing makes some of the highest quality scans I've ever seen in a SOHO
scanner, and under OS/2....

SANE v .56 was worthless for this scanner, but as soon as I added the v .74
updates, it was pure satisfa----make that "perfection" (whenever a mfg is so
bold as to use a tag like "perfection" in their product  name, it gets my
juices flowing, but in this case, I think EPSON  delivers)

Scanning under OS/2 has never been better....

I just wish: 1)the INSANE file format for Saved images was not so "unique"
2) it would integrate with my "colorworks" graphic suite, "plug in" style

currently, many of the "finer" image tuning utils that are part of PM SANE
are disabled (gama, speed, etc) which wouldn't be so bad if i could
integrate into colorworks, where I've got Image control "til the cows come
home", but, as it is,scanniing a 24 bit full bed image usually results in a
6-8 MB file (*.PMG or whatever it is) Using the "prefered" image tool as
viewer (PM-VIew) "cropping out" a 50% image size portion of the *.PMG, and
saving that portion as a *.JPG results in a 60 MB (no typo, it's HUGE) file
size that is horrible, but saving as a *.BMP then using colorworks to do the
*.JPG compression....399 KB of Perfection....My 2 cents

saned - could not find `sane' service

Post by William L. Hartzel » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:08:31

Sir:
Have you mentioned this Jpeg conversion problem to Peter Nielsen?
Bill

> [...]

> Scanning under OS/2 has never been better....

> I just wish: 1)the INSANE file format for Saved images was not so "unique"
> 2) it would integrate with my "colorworks" graphic suite, "plug in" style

> currently, many of the "finer" image tuning utils that are part of PM SANE
> are disabled (gama, speed, etc) which wouldn't be so bad if i could
> integrate into colorworks, where I've got Image control "til the cows come
> home", but, as it is,scanniing a 24 bit full bed image usually results in a
> 6-8 MB file (*.PMG or whatever it is) Using the "prefered" image tool as
> viewer (PM-VIew) "cropping out" a 50% image size portion of the *.PMG, and
> saving that portion as a *.JPG results in a 60 MB (no typo, it's HUGE) file
> size that is horrible, but saving as a *.BMP then using colorworks to do the
> *.JPG compression....399 KB of Perfection....My 2 cents

Post by Baden Kudrenec » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:11:24

   I have noticed other JPEG conversions in PMVIEW
that have resulted in greatly increased size, notably
images from digital cameras.

baden

> [...]

>> Scanning under OS/2 has never been better....

>> I just wish: 1)the INSANE file format for Saved images was not so "unique"
>> 2) it would integrate with my "colorworks" graphic suite, "plug in" style

>> currently, many of the "finer" image tuning utils that are part of PM SANE
>> are disabled (gama, speed, etc) which wouldn't be so bad if i could
>> integrate into colorworks, where I've got Image control "til the cows come
>> home", but, as it is,scanniing a 24 bit full bed image usually results in a
>> 6-8 MB file (*.PMG or whatever it is) Using the "prefered" image tool as
>> viewer (PM-VIew) "cropping out" a 50% image size portion of the *.PMG, and
>> saving that portion as a *.JPG results in a 60 MB (no typo, it's HUGE) file
>> size that is horrible, but saving as a *.BMP then using colorworks to do the
>> *.JPG compression....399 KB of Perfection....My 2 cents

Post by Zeppeli » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 09:18:26

Bill,

No, after dealing with cornell's "if that's what you want, I suggest you go write
it" and Sanders "No, you really don't want that, in time you will understand why"
I've pretty much given up on constructive feedback to developers. I've got enough
scars... But the "problem" mentioned occurs when you select a portion  of a
scanned image, and select "crop/save as *.jpg" The first time I thought it was
some freak error. but after repeating it 10 out of 10 trys, I'm convinced "there's
a "cocoon" in thar somewheres"

> [...]

> > Scanning under OS/2 has never been better....

> > I just wish: 1)the INSANE file format for Saved images was not so "unique"
> > 2) it would integrate with my "colorworks" graphic suite, "plug in" style

> > currently, many of the "finer" image tuning utils that are part of PM SANE
> > are disabled (gama, speed, etc) which wouldn't be so bad if i could
> > integrate into colorworks, where I've got Image control "til the cows come
> > home", but, as it is,scanniing a 24 bit full bed image usually results in a
> > 6-8 MB file (*.PMG or whatever it is) Using the "prefered" image tool as
> > viewer (PM-VIew) "cropping out" a 50% image size portion of the *.PMG, and
> > saving that portion as a *.JPG results in a 60 MB (no typo, it's HUGE) file
> > size that is horrible, but saving as a *.BMP then using colorworks to do the
> > *.JPG compression....399 KB of Perfection....My 2 cents

Post by William L. Hartzel » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:27:01

Sir:
I'll copost this to comp.os.os2.apps and see if Peter has some coon
dogs.  We probably did something wrong.
Bill