Warp with 8 megs?

Post by moo.. » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 11:44:13

Warp with 8 megs:  is it worth it?  I made the mistake of buying it when I had only 4 megs of ram, and needless to say, it was embarassingly slow..  well
now i'm up to a whopping 8 megs, and i'm wondering if i should give warp another shot-- you know, a chance to redeem itself :)..  would it run decently with
8 megs, or would i still be better just sticking to my good ol' windows 3.1?

Also, I have a 425 meg hard drive with about only 50 megs left...  would all the re-partitioning and all that "stuff" really be worth it?  I'm at a constant battle for
disk space..  and i just read somewhere not to run os/2 with dos 6.0's doublespace..  is this true?

all these questions, i know...  i guess i just can't make my own decisions :)

chris mathews

oh yeah, and check out my home page at "http://ids.net/~moonie/home.html" (sorry, HAD to throw that in there :))

Warp with 8 megs?

Post by jeff min » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 13:54:22

>Warp with 8 megs:  is it worth it?  I made the mistake of buying it when I had only 4 megs of ram, and needless to say, it was embarassingly slow..  well
>now i'm up to a whopping 8 megs, and i'm wondering if i should give warp another shot-- you know, a chance to redeem itself :)..  would it run decently with
>8 megs, or would i still be better just sticking to my good ol' windows 3.1?...

I use it with 8 megs and it works great.  Seems fast enough for me.  At first
 however it seemed really slow, but after getting some config.sys "tweaking"
 help, it's like night and day!

vancouver, canada

Warp with 8 megs?

Post by p.. » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 15:15:30

a>Warp with 8 megs:  is it worth it?  I made the mistake of buying it when I had only 4 megs of ram, and needless to say, it was embarassingly slow..  well
a>now i'm up to a whopping 8 megs, and i'm wondering if i should give warp another shot-- you know, a chance to redeem itself :)..  would it run decently with
a>8 megs, or would i still be better just sticking to my good ol' windows 3.1?
a>
a>Also, I have a 425 meg hard drive with about only 50 megs left...  would all the re-partitioning and all that "stuff" really be worth it?  I'm at a constant battle for
a>disk space..  and i just read somewhere not to run os/2 with dos 6.0's doublespace..  is this true?
a>
a>all these questions, i know...  i guess i just can't make my own decisions :)
a>
a>chris mathews

a>
a>oh yeah, and check out my home page at "http://ids.net/~moonie/home.html" (sorry, HAD to throw that in there :))
a>

First things first, get rid of doublespace...it will eventually do more harm than good.
You can probably find a >500meg HD now for slightly more than $300. Also, it's true
 that you shouldn't be using DOS disk compression software with OS/2.

About OS/2 in 8meg, I found it to be usable, but not as fast as W4WG.  Try tweaking
your config.sys (get rid of window animation and system sounds for a start) using
the suggestions in the file CFGBETA2.ZIP which can be found at ftp.cdrom.com in
/pub/os2/incoming.  If you do decide to go up to 12meg or more, you will NOT be
disappointed..... trust me.  Performance should be faster than W4WG. Hope this helps.

Phil

Warp with 8 megs?

Post by tfer.. » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 00:36:11

 >I use it with 8 megs and it works great.  Seems fast enough for me.  At first
 > however it seemed really slow, but after getting some config.sys "tweaking"
 > help, it's like night and day!
 >
 >

 >vancouver, canada

I don't know what I have wrong with my setup, but my system seems to be
using my harddrive as some kind of virtual ram.  I download one of those
system monitors and surenuff the free ram stays at 6.8 megs and my free
hard drive space keeps shrinking to the point where I have to reboot to
clear it.

I want my sytem to use ram not HD, the constant HD access is dring me crazy.
Besides I don't need 6.8megs of free RAM it does me no good.

Thank you for any help.

Warp with 8 megs?

Post by P J K » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 22:20:05

Quote:

>Warp with 8 megs:  is it worth it?  I made the mistake of buying it when I had only 4 megs of ram, and needless to say, it was embarassingly slow..  well
>now i'm up to a whopping 8 megs, and i'm wondering if i should give warp another shot-- you know, a chance to redeem itself :)..  would it run decently wi
>8 megs, or would i still be better just sticking to my good ol' windows 3.1?

>Also, I have a 425 meg hard drive with about only 50 megs left...  would all the re-partitioning and all that "stuff" really be worth it?  I'm at a consta
>disk space..  and i just read somewhere not to run os/2 with dos 6.0's doublespace..  is this true?

>all these questions, i know...  i guess i just can't make my own decisions :)

Warp is fine in 8MB, you dont need to repartition if you don't want to.
It doesnt support doubletrouble unless you get Stacker for OS/2 and
convert it to a stacked drive.

.....Peter Kay, OS/2 Programmer, www author & all round techie..........

Warp with 8 megs?

Post by Luis B. Almei » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 00:02:39

> >Warp with 8 megs:  is it worth it?  I made the mistake of buying it when I had only 4 megs of ram, and needless to say, it was embarassingly slow..  well
> >now i'm up to a whopping 8 megs, and i'm wondering if i should give warp another shot-- you know, a chance to redeem itself :)..  would it run decently wi
> >8 megs, or would i still be better just sticking to my good ol' windows 3.1?

> >Also, I have a 425 meg hard drive with about only 50 megs left...  would all the re-partitioning and all that "stuff" really be worth it?  I'm at a consta
> >disk space..  and i just read somewhere not to run os/2 with dos 6.0's doublespace..  is this true?

> >all these questions, i know...  i guess i just can't make my own decisions :)

> Warp is fine in 8MB, you dont need to repartition if you don't want to.
> It doesnt support doubletrouble unless you get Stacker for OS/2 and
> convert it to a stacked drive.

I have Warp running on a 486 DX2-50MHz with 8 MB RAM and an IDE drive,
and I found that although the system certainly is usable, switching
from one application to another is significantly slower than in
DOS/Windows, and causes a lot more swapping. This is especially true
when switching between Windows and non-Windows applications.

As far as I know, I've done all the fine-tunings that have been
appearing on the net, those that are in CFG2BETA.ZIP, in the FAQ,
etc., so I don't expect that much further improvement can be obtained
by playing with settings.
Luis B. Almeida

INESC                             Phone: +351-1-544607, +351-1-3100246
Apartado 13069                    Fax:   +351-1-525843
P-1000 Lisboa
Portugal

        *** Indonesia is killing innocent people in East Timor ***

Warp with 8 megs?

Post by s1617.. » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 16:37:19

> >I use it with 8 megs and it works great.  Seems fast enough for me.  At first
> > however it seemed really slow, but after getting some config.sys "tweaking"
> > help, it's like night and day!

> >vancouver, canada

>I don't know what I have wrong with my setup, but my system seems to be
>using my harddrive as some kind of virtual ram.  I download one of those
>system monitors and surenuff the free ram stays at 6.8 megs and my free
>hard drive space keeps shrinking to the point where I have to reboot to
>clear it.

>I want my sytem to use ram not HD, the constant HD access is dring me crazy.
>Besides I don't need 6.8megs of free RAM it does me no good.

>Thank you for any help.

>>>Try a program called CFGBETA2.zip, it will optimize your config.sys to
>>>you system specs so that you get maximum performance under OS/2.
>>>It is on hobbes and ftp.cdrom.com.
>>>Hope this helps.
>>>J.S.

1. Warp with 24 meg system very unstable

Has anyone else had problems with Warp installed onto a 24 meg system?  I've tried both 8 and 16 meg configurations
alone and they both work fine when they are on their own.  But when I put them together, even a simple mouse
click to highlight a window crashes the system.  The mouse is still active, but the system just sits there.

If anyone has this problem and knows of a fix, please let me know.  Thanks!

Jack Yee

2. ANNOUNCE: Free Win95/NT E-Zine

3. Warp on 6 megs

4. protected mode terminology

5. VERY impressed w/ Warp on 4 megs

6. (fwd) Re: A COURIER V.EVE

7. Warp installed 8 megs 386 dx40

8. NEED SIP CHIPS TO UPGRADE HELP

9. Warp and 546 meg IDE HD

10. WARP with 8 megs - NOT DISAPPOINTED!

11. Warp in 4 megs - Observations

12. Warp Used Last Meg and Crashed

13. Warp in 4 megs - Observations