WARNING: Warp v5 Video driver bugs maybe in common code

WARNING: Warp v5 Video driver bugs maybe in common code

Post by eade.. » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I posted a message earlier about a persistant bug in the cirrus 54xx driver. It has
also appeared in the Mach 64 driver. Other drivers may ALSO be effected so I'm posting
this warning. Please post if you have this problem so we can see what drivers are
affected. This could help IBM solve the problem.

TESTCASE:
1. Download PMView via ftp from hobbes.cdrom.com
2. Run PMView and select File -> Capture -> Screen
   --> The resulting still capture will have a corrupted palette.

PM View is not along in being effected. I use a mission-critical internal utility
that is also affected. We've not found a developer workaround.

POSSIBLE USER WORKAROUND:
I've had success, so far, using a Warp v3 driver instead of the Warp v4 driver.
TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

IBM...
This bug was reported back in June to IBM and was never solved. I re-reported
it as a defect in the GA this last Saturday.

--Ed. Deans
  TeamOS2

WARNING: Warp v5 Video driver bugs maybe in common code

Post by James Himmelm » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

17 Oct 96 02:13:24 writes:
:>
:>I posted a message earlier about a persistant bug in the cirrus 54xx driver. It has
:>also appeared in the Mach 64 driver. Other drivers may ALSO be effected so I'm posting
:>this warning. Please post if you have this problem so we can see what drivers are
:>affected. This could help IBM solve the problem.
:>
:>TESTCASE:
:>1. Download PMView via ftp from hobbes.cdrom.com
:>2. Run PMView and select File -> Capture -> Screen
:>   --> The resulting still capture will have a corrupted palette.
:>
:>PM View is not along in being effected. I use a mission-critical internal utility
:>that is also affected. We've not found a developer workaround.

Just tried it - works fine with my Matrox anf the 2.02 driver.

-----------------------------------
James R. Himmelman

-----------------------------------

Post by jrud.. » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I posted a message earlier about a persistant bug in the cirrus 54xx driver. It has
>also appeared in the Mach 64 driver. Other drivers may ALSO be effected so I'm posting
>this warning. Please post if you have this problem so we can see what drivers are
>affected. This could help IBM solve the problem.

>TESTCASE:
>1. Download PMView via ftp from hobbes.cdrom.com
>2. Run PMView and select File -> Capture -> Screen
>   --> The resulting still capture will have a corrupted palette.

>PM View is not along in being effected. I use a mission-critical internal utility
>that is also affected. We've not found a developer workaround.

>POSSIBLE USER WORKAROUND:
>I've had success, so far, using a Warp v3 driver instead of the Warp v4 driver.
>TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

>IBM...
>This bug was reported back in June to IBM and was never solved. I re-reported
>it as a defect in the GA this last Saturday.

>--Ed. Deans
>  TeamOS2

I tried this with my #9 GXE64 using the Warp 4 S864 drivers at 1024x768x256 mode
and had the same problem.  However, if you go to system setup under 256 color
tab and check Workplace shell pallette aware, it works normally and shows no
corruption.  I would suspect this only occurs in 256 color mode.

Joe

1. --WARNING-- Warp and CL 62x5 video --WARNING--

Warning!  All laptop users with Cirrus Logic 62x5 video!  Installation of
Warp (during the second boot floppy - "Disk 1") -- there is a serious
incompatibility between something in Warp and the 62x5 video, which causes
the laptop display to be PERMANENTLY disabled (at least until my manufacturer
can figure out how to re-enable the video).  I will be reporting this to IBM
ASAP, however, please contact them before you attempt installation on a
laptop with this chip set. Note that BOTH the LCD and the external video are
disabled, making the machine unusable (and unrecoverable by the user).  Leaving
the battery out overnite did not resolve the problem.  I had a similar problem
with the PAS drivers (sound or SCSI) previously, but in that case simply
powering off/on corrected the situation.  This problem appears to set the
saved video state, making the change "permanent".
     Mace Moneta, AT&T VM Product Engineering, Piscataway, NJ

            Voice: 908-457-4399  Fax 908-980-0741

2. StoringNewEpsonPrinterAdvisable?

3. Video Driver Install v5.00: Upload information

4. Microtek 4800-crash when saving in tiff?

5. Genie & Lamp

6. Install Warnings in README.INS File

7. FAQ for 68HC11?

8. Filebar 1.80: A bug (maybe) and a Question (may be a bug too)

9. WebExp Video Bug or Cirrus Driver Bug?

10. Copiling warning, C4058 of MSC V5.1 - DS != SS

11. Maybe I have found a Bug in Warp 4...

12. Warning ** Headland/Video 7 Drivers