Good deal on k6 200 and good motherboard?

Good deal on k6 200 and good motherboard?

Post by David Cougl » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I saw for $325 a k6 200 mmx and a jetway VX motherboard.  Is jetway a
good brand name?  Is there another deal on the internet with about the
same price range with a better motherboard?  Thank you, please respond
via email.
--
 ____
  /   /   / _

 http://www.deathsdoor.com/thyle
God created the world with OS/2.

Post by gilbe.. » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I saw for $325 a k6 200 mmx and a jetway VX motherboard.  Is jetway a
> good brand name?  Is there another deal on the internet with about the
> same price range with a better motherboard?  Thank you, please respond
> via email.
> --
>  ____
>   /   /   / _
>  (   /)(/( (-

>  http://www.deathsdoor.com/thyle
> God created the world with OS/2.

If anyone does have info on this, I hope you will honor the request for
an e-mail, but I also hope that you will post the info for the rest of
us looking to upgrade ;-)

tia,

Gilbert
--

Good deal on k6 200 and good motherboard?

Post by David Cougl » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> :>>
> :>> I saw for $325 a k6 200 mmx and a jetway VX motherboard.  Is jetway a
> :>> good brand name?  Is there another deal on the internet with about the
> :>> same price range with a better motherboard?  Thank you, please respond
> :>> via email.
> :>> --
> :>>  ____
> :>>   /   /   / _
> :>>  (   /)(/( (-

> :>>  http://www.deathsdoor.com/thyle
> :>> God created the world with OS/2.
> :>
> :>If anyone does have info on this, I hope you will honor the request for
> :>an e-mail, but I also hope that you will post the info for the rest of
> :>us looking to upgrade ;-)
> :>
> :>tia,
> :>
> :>Gilbert
> :>--

> This is what I told David:
> Tom's Hardware Page: http://sysdoc.pair.com/  has a very in depth discussion
> of MB's. He doesn't list Jetway (unless that is an offbrand of another
> company). You should be able to find good info there, although you'll still
> need to track down the best deal on your CPU/MB combo.

Does anyone have ANY info on how good jetway motherboards are?  If so,
please post for the enjoyment of all:)
--
 ____
  /   /   / _

Post by Robert Dohrenbur » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I saw for $325 a k6 200 mmx and a jetway VX motherboard.  Is jetway a
> good brand name?  Is there another deal on the internet with about the
> same price range with a better motherboard?  Thank you, please respond
> via email.

I don't know about the jetway mb but there are other options, like mbs
with the TX chip set. I got one ( ASUS TX97-E K6-233Mhz ) from
http://www.tccomputers.com. The company is very reliable and prices are
fair.

No problems so far with WARP and the ASUS TX97-E/K6 233.

Robert Dohrenburg.

Post by PNOC Switchin » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone have ANY info on how good jetway motherboards are?
>If so, > please post for the enjoyment of all:)
> --

    I've been looking at MoBos a lot lately while looking forward to my own K6
upgrade, and I've never heard of Jetway, much less seen a rating or reference.
Personally, I'd avoid any motherboard that wasn't well known...the difference
between a cheap no-name and a good brandname is in the $50 range, and it's
just nuts (IMHO) to skimp on something so fundamental.

    For my own upgrade I'm looking seriously at the Giga-Byte TX boards,
which are approved by AMD for K6-233 use, and are easily available here in
Canada.

David T. Anderson
www.agt.net/public/dtander/

Post by Mikkel C. Simonse » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > I saw for $325 a k6 200 mmx and a jetway VX motherboard.  Is jetway a
> > good brand name?  Is there another deal on the internet with about the
> > same price range with a better motherboard?  Thank you, please respond
> > via email.

> I don't know about the jetway mb but there are other options, like mbs
> with the TX chip set. I got one ( ASUS TX97-E K6-233Mhz ) from
> http://www.tccomputers.com. The company is very reliable and prices are
> fair.

> No problems so far with WARP and the ASUS TX97-E/K6 233.

> Robert Dohrenburg.

If what I have read is correct, there is one problem with the TX
chipset. The cache only supports 64MB of RAM. OS/2 uses the highest
available memory, so if you have more than 64MB, the OS itself will not
be cached. The HX and VX chipsets do not have this cache problem (if the
tag-RAM is big enough). They support 512MB RAM.

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Good deal on k6 200 and good motherboard?

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

:>>
:>> >
[...]

VX suffers from the same 64MB cachable limitation as the TX.

Trevor Hemsley, London, UK

Post by Robert Dohrenbur » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > > I saw for $325 a k6 200 mmx and a jetway VX motherboard.  Is jetway a
> > > good brand name?  Is there another deal on the internet with about the
> > > same price range with a better motherboard?  Thank you, please respond
> > > via email.

> > I don't know about the jetway mb but there are other options, like mbs
> > with the TX chip set. I got one ( ASUS TX97-E K6-233Mhz ) from
> > http://www.tccomputers.com. The company is very reliable and prices are
> > fair.

> > No problems so far with WARP and the ASUS TX97-E/K6 233.

> > Robert Dohrenburg.

> If what I have read is correct, there is one problem with the TX
> chipset. The cache only supports 64MB of RAM. OS/2 uses the highest
> available memory, so if you have more than 64MB, the OS itself will not
> be cached. The HX and VX chipsets do not have this cache problem (if the
> tag-RAM is big enough). They support 512MB RAM.

> Mikkel C. Simonsen

Where did you read this? I knew about a problem with the cache but with
the HX chipset not the TX.

Robert Dohrenburg.

Good deal on k6 200 and good motherboard?

Post by Gilbert Lefebv » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> If what I have read is correct, there is one problem with the TX
> chipset. The cache only supports 64MB of RAM. OS/2 uses the highest
> available memory, so if you have more than 64MB, the OS itself will not
> be cached. The HX and VX chipsets do not have this cache problem (if the
> tag-RAM is big enough). They support 512MB RAM.

Sorry but the VX chipset does NOT support more than 64MB.
The HX does.

Gilbert Lefebvre
Anti-spam measure taken. Remove nospam for email.

Good deal on k6 200 and good motherboard?

Post by David Cougl » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Sorry but the VX chipset does NOT support more than 64MB.
> The HX does.

> Gilbert Lefebvre
> Anti-spam measure taken. Remove nospam for email.

Coo-ness...
I am getting an American Megatrends HX-83.  I read that's a good board,
any comments?
The guy said it needs 4 simms, that's not true, is it?  I have two 16's,
shouldn't that work?
--
 ____
  /   /   / _

 http://www.deathsdoor.com/thyle
God created the world with OS/2.

Good deal on k6 200 and good motherboard?

Post by Gilbert Lefebv » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > If what I have read is correct, there is one problem with the TX
> > chipset. The cache only supports 64MB of RAM. OS/2 uses the highest
> > available memory, so if you have more than 64MB, the OS itself will not
> > be cached. The HX and VX chipsets do not have this cache problem (if the
> > tag-RAM is big enough). They support 512MB RAM.

> > Mikkel C. Simonsen
> Where did you read this? I knew about a problem with the cache but with
> the HX chipset not the TX.

> Robert Dohrenburg.

The HX is the only Intel chipset for the pentium which has the ability
cache memory above 64MB. FX, VXX and TX do not cache memory
above 64MB. As to OS/2 loading memory from the top to the bottom,
I remember Dennis Tonn (sp?), an OS/2 instructor, as well as Lynn
Nash mentioning this in Fidonet OS/2 newsgroups.

I've read someone installing 512MB on an Abit IT5H and all
memory was cached from the tests he made. His post can
surely be found on Dejanews.

Gilbert Lefebvre

Good deal on k6 200 and good motherboard?

Post by Gilbert Lefebv » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > Sorry but the VX chipset does NOT support more than 64MB.
> > The HX does.

> > Gilbert Lefebvre
> > Anti-spam measure taken. Remove nospam for email.
> Coo-ness...
> I am getting an American Megatrends HX-83.  I read that's a good board,
> any comments?

SuperMicro is supposed to be the mfgr of that board and does not
seem to be very popular lately...
I would look into the Asus T2P4 as a second choice to Abit...
Check asus.com.tw for all the details on it.

Quote:> The guy said it needs 4 simms, that's not true, is it?  I have two 16's,
> shouldn't that work?

Not true. 72 SIMMs work in pairs. I suppose he is trying to get you
to buy memory...

The problem I see with SDRAM, is that it is substantially more
expensive and not standard. IOW, the future additional SDRAM
you'll buy may not work with the one you bought before. There
is also a strong possibility that the next mb you purchase may
not be able to use your existing SDRAM. The speed gain
obtained is often around 5% which does not warrant it's additional
cost.

Post by Robert Dohrenbur » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > > If what I have read is correct, there is one problem with the TX
> > > chipset. The cache only supports 64MB of RAM. OS/2 uses the highest
> > > available memory, so if you have more than 64MB, the OS itself will not
> > > be cached. The HX and VX chipsets do not have this cache problem (if the
> > > tag-RAM is big enough). They support 512MB RAM.

> > > Mikkel C. Simonsen

> > Where did you read this? I knew about a problem with the cache but with
> > the HX chipset not the TX.

> > Robert Dohrenburg.

> The HX is the only Intel chipset for the pentium which has the ability
> cache memory above 64MB. FX, VXX and TX do not cache memory
> above 64MB. As to OS/2 loading memory from the top to the bottom,
> I remember Dennis Tonn (sp?), an OS/2 instructor, as well as Lynn
> Nash mentioning this in Fidonet OS/2 newsgroups.

> I've read someone installing 512MB on an Abit IT5H and all
> memory was cached from the tests he made. His post can
> surely be found on Dejanews.

> Gilbert Lefebvre

Hmm, I was not aware of this. Anyway, I've found that 64Mb works fine
for me.

Robert Dohrenburg.

Post by crob.. » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>> > I don't know about the jetway mb but there are other options, like mbs
>> > with the TX chip set. I got one ( ASUS TX97-E K6-233Mhz ) from
>> > http://www.veryComputer.com/. The company is very reliable and prices are
>> > fair.

>> > No problems so far with WARP and the ASUS TX97-E/K6 233.

>> > Robert Dohrenburg.

>> If what I have read is correct, there is one problem with the TX
>> chipset. The cache only supports 64MB of RAM. OS/2 uses the highest
>> available memory, so if you have more than 64MB, the OS itself will not
>> be cached. The HX and VX chipsets do not have this cache problem (if the
>> tag-RAM is big enough). They support 512MB RAM.

>> Mikkel C. Simonsen

>Where did you read this? I knew about a problem with the cache but with
>the HX chipset not the TX.

>Robert Dohrenburg.

No.  The VX and the TX does not cache over 64MB.

Personally, I use an AMD K6-200 on a tried and true Asus T2P4 rev
3.1 with a Matrox Mystique.  It's very fast and very solid.

I have my own personal and very biased opinion, based on some
observations, that HX chipset based motherboards are generally more
stable than VX or TX chipsets.  (That's because I use all three.)

I believe that HX is fastest with EDO DRAM, but the HX boards tend to
cost a bit more than TX motherboards, and the price difference of using
the faster SDRAMs that TX motherboards support would even up the prices
with HX and EDOs, and they might be a small performance advantage as
well.

On the other hand, SDRAMs are ficky.  Some DIMMs might work with one
motherboard and won't work with another.  Some DIMMs might work
paired with another DIMM, but will not work when paired with another
brand of DIMM.

The TX motherboards have the faster DMA 33, but I don't believe the OS/2
optimized driver is out for PIIX4, unlike PIIX3, and they really don't
seem to make a big difference in drive access, which seems to depend
more on the brand and performance of the EIDE drive you are using.

Rgds,

Chris

"Devant le comportement irrationnel de sa machine, j'ai compris que se
poser en dfenseur de Windows releve de la plus profonde bassesse. J'ai
honte"  ---  Eric Bernatchez,  "La Presse" newspaper, "*presse"
column, March 22, 1997, Montreal, Canada.

"Confronted with his machines irrational behaviour, it dawned upon me
that taking the position of Windows advocate is of the lowest possible
ethics. I am ashamed".

Post by Charlie Turn » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>I believe that HX is fastest with EDO DRAM, but the HX boards tend to
>cost a bit more than TX motherboards, and the price difference of using
>the faster SDRAMs that TX motherboards support would even up the prices
>with HX and EDOs, and they might be a small performance advantage as
>well.

What is the relationship (if any) between EDO and parity? Maybe I'm old fashioned
but I want parity (if not ECC) for my RAM. Not all motherboards provide for
parity. Parity/ECC  would seem to be a distinctly different and unrelated function
from  "extended data out" but I want to pin this down before I buy a new
motherboard.

1. Good deal on a k6 200 and good motherboard?

I saw for $325 a k6 200 mmx and a jetway VX motherboard.  Is jetway a
good brand name?  Is there another deal on the internet with about the
same price range with a better motherboard?  Thank you, please respond
via email.
--
 ____
  /   /   / _
 (   /)(/( (-

 http://www.deathsdoor.com/thyle
God created the world with OS/2.

2. PLEASE HELP: Lightek ex-PORT

3. IBM CD-ROM deal with PDK a good deal?

4. Scheduled backups made easy?

5. BJ-200: good drivers?

6. fixing segment to bank

7. AMD K6-200 performance

8. PicTeX for OS/2 2.0?

9. k6 200 MMX and warp 4?

10. K6-200 at 75x3

11. NCR-200 SCSI controller on ASUS motherboard

12. Good deal on Warp fullpack in LA

13. Fastback plus, special deal, is it good