NR2: Switched config files w/o reason?

NR2: Switched config files w/o reason?

Post by hlan.. » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00



I've been using NR/2 for months with no problems.  During this
time it has been using configuration files in my "home" directory
with the names of NEWS.ALL, NEWS.GRP and NEWS.TIM.  Suddenly and
without explaination last night it switch to using files named
NEWS1.ALL, NEWS1.GRP and NEWS1.TIM.  At first this was very
confusing because NR/2 would fail to startup.  Once I figured out
what it was doing, I did COPY NEWS.* to NEWS1.* and NR/2 was
happy and running just as before.

Anyone know why it decided to switch file names?  Anyway to get
it to go back to using the original file names?

\\===============\\=======================\\
 \\  Hale Landis  \\      303-548-0567     \\

//===============//=======================//

 
 
 

NR2: Switched config files w/o reason?

Post by Tres Seav » Sun, 30 Jul 1995 04:00:00



>I've been using NR/2 for months with no problems.  During this
>time it has been using configuration files in my "home" directory
>with the names of NEWS.ALL, NEWS.GRP and NEWS.TIM.  Suddenly and
>without explaination last night it switch to using files named
>NEWS1.ALL, NEWS1.GRP and NEWS1.TIM.  At first this was very
>confusing because NR/2 would fail to startup.  Once I figured out
>what it was doing, I did COPY NEWS.* to NEWS1.* and NR/2 was
>happy and running just as before.

>Anyone know why it decided to switch file names?  Anyway to get
>it to go back to using the original file names?

>\\===============\\=======================\\
> \\  Hale Landis  \\      303-548-0567     \\

>//===============//=======================//

I _think_ this happens when your ISP either silently re-IP's the news server
(changes the IP address to which the name is mapped), or in my case, uses a
news server with multiple network cards ("multi-homed").  NR/2, in brain-dead
fashion, maintains a separate list for each physical IP address, rather than for
each server name, and so decides it has never heard of your server.

Your solution (copying over the files) is the one I am currently using;  I would like
to be able to tweak the settings in the NR2.INI file directly to fix the problem
at the source.


MACRO Enterprises, Inc.  Vox: (713) 827-7273   Fax: (713) 827-7278

 
 
 

NR2: Switched config files w/o reason?

Post by Alexandre Polozo » Sun, 30 Jul 1995 04:00:00



>I've been using NR/2 for months with no problems.  During this
>time it has been using configuration files in my "home" directory
>with the names of NEWS.ALL, NEWS.GRP and NEWS.TIM.  Suddenly and
>without explaination last night it switch to using files named
>NEWS1.ALL, NEWS1.GRP and NEWS1.TIM.  At first this was very
>confusing because NR/2 would fail to startup.  Once I figured out
>what it was doing, I did COPY NEWS.* to NEWS1.* and NR/2 was
>happy and running just as before.

>Anyone know why it decided to switch file names?  Anyway to get
>it to go back to using the original file names?

This exact same problem happened with me just the other day.  What gives?

---

 
 
 

NR2: Switched config files w/o reason?

Post by twhee.. » Mon, 31 Jul 1995 04:00:00


Quote:>>without explaination last night it switch to using files named
>>NEWS1.ALL, NEWS1.GRP and NEWS1.TIM.  At first this was very
>>confusing because NR/2 would fail to startup.  Once I figured out
>>what it was doing, I did COPY NEWS.* to NEWS1.* and NR/2 was
>>happy and running just as before.

>>Anyone know why it decided to switch file names?  Anyway to get
>>it to go back to using the original file names?

>This exact same problem happened with me just the other day.  What gives?

The same happened to me when my provider changes the machine that
news is on
 
 
 

NR2: Switched config files w/o reason?

Post by Duane A. Chambl » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00



>>>Anyone know why it decided to switch file names?  Anyway to get
>>>it to go back to using the original file names?

>>This exact same problem happened with me just the other day.  What gives?
>The same happened to me when my provider changes the machine that
>news is on

The machine name could be the cause but here is the workaround...

1. Close NR2 when it doesn't see your old NEWS.* files.
2. Use an INI editor to view the NR2.INI
        (this is usually located in the ETC directory in RNSPOOL\USERNAME
3. Delete the Servers application line.
4. restart nr2

It should now use the NEWS.* files.

..from WarpStationOne
    Duane A. Chamblee

       Team OS/2

 
 
 

1. SlipPM Config/Switch File ?

Several months ago, I was running warp and required a specific switch
(-ip) in order for PPP to connect to my provider correctly.  Somewhere,
learned of a config file that could be place in \tcpip or \tcpip\etc that
SlipPM would use to provide switches to PPP (I don't think it was
SLIP.CFG).  I can't remeber what it was.  Anybody know?

2. Delete files from CD?

3. DOS user seeking reason to switch to OS/2 or Windows

4. How to capture console output from gui app?

5. Is there a good reason to switch from fp16->17

6. Nixpub Posting (Short)

7. config.sys switch to change search util

8. Tile Based maps

9. config.sys switch to change search app

10. multiple news.grp files for nr2

11. NR2 setup from a .cmd file?

12. NR2 v1.2 won't save to file

13. NR2 Importing NEWSRC File