Lazy Write Question

Post by William A. McKierna » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a friend who gets a message everytime his machine is started.
Something like this:

Lazy Write is being disabled
Read ahead is being disabled

It has been awhile since I've fiddled with OS/2 and I can't find, in
my OS/2 Warp 3 Consultant book, this message. He has to press enter
after this message to continue.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can someone shed some light on this?

/William

Lazy Write Question

Post by Oliver Poggens » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:45:19, "William A. McKiernan"

> I have a friend who gets a message everytime his machine is started.
> Something like this:

> Lazy Write is being disabled
> Read ahead is being disabled

> It has been awhile since I've fiddled with OS/2 and I can't find, in
> my OS/2 Warp 3 Consultant book, this message. He has to press enter
> after this message to continue.
> Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can someone shed some light on this?

> /William

This message is caused by the "RUN=C:\Os2\Cache.exe ..." line in your
Config.sys file. To solve the problem you have two options.
- Move the line to the end of the config.sys.
- Delete the line from the config.sys and start Cache.exe from the
startup.cmd file.

----------------
Oliver Poggensee
Tyra/2 OS/2 Config.sys Editor
http://www.online.de/home/os2

Lazy Write Question

Post by askbill*AT*ibm.ne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I have a friend who gets a message everytime his machine is started.
>Something like this:
>Lazy Write is being disabled
>Read ahead is being disabled
>It has been awhile since I've fiddled with OS/2 and I can't find, in my
>OS/2 Warp 3 Consultant book, this message. He has to press enter after
>this message to continue.
>Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can someone shed some light on this?

Not a problem I have seen in a long time...but could it be that he has too
little memory to support the caching needed?  Perhaps less than when first
installed, hence CONFIG.SYS has LW set on, but the system  finds it cannot
support it, and awaits the <Enter> to acknowlege.

Bil Hacker

Titanic '12   NYSE '29   Windows '95 and subsequent.....

Lazy Write Question

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quoting a message by askbill*AT*ibm.net in comp.os.os2.misc:

Quote:>>Lazy Write is being disabled
>>Read ahead is being disabled

[...]

Quote:>Not a problem I have seen in a long time...but could it be that he has too
>little memory to support the caching needed?  Perhaps less than when first
>installed, hence CONFIG.SYS has LW set on, but the system  finds it cannot
>support it, and awaits the <Enter> to acknowlege.

Hmm.. The press enter thing can't be related to memory limitations.

My friend tried running his cache in CONFIG.SYS on a P233 with 64 megs
of SDRAM and got the "Press enter" prompt. I tried it on my DX4-100 with
32 megs of RAM, and also got the press enter prompt.

The solution I found, that might also apply here, was to load the cache
in the startup.cmd file instead.

--

= Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath)
= Web: http://www.veryComputer.com/: 3484915

... He who laughs last uses OS/2.
-!- GOPGP/2 v1.21

1. Frequent crashes when systen writes to HD's through Lazy Write

Hi,

Since installing Object Desktop version 1.02 a couple of days ago, I've
been experiencing VERY frequent lockups when my system is idle and starts
writing to my HD's under Lazy Write. This is extremely disconcerting to
say the least. The system freezes completely and the only thing to do is a
reset.

I recall a couple of instances in the past where my system crashed
for no apparent reason but these happened very rarely. Since OD has been
added to my system, this is getting ridiculous. I wonder if this has
anything to do with HyperCache??? I do not use the OD's CPU monitor,
Memory monitor and Swap Monitor. The only such thing that I use from OD is
the clock.

I have Warp FullPack with NO fixpacks. I tried all fixpacks before and
they created more problems than they solved. I decided to re-install Warp
from scratch.

My system is as follows:

Gateway 2000 P5 90 mhz, 256 k external cache, 16 mb ram;
Adaptec AHA 2940 PCI SCSI adapter;
Seagate 1 Gig SCSI II HD; Quantum 2 Gig SCSI II HD;
ATI Mach 64 GPT PCI video accelerator;
Nec Intersect 84-I 2x SCSI II CD ROM;
Creative Labs SB 16 ASP sound card (ISA).

I have the 1 Gig Seagate HD configured with a 900 MB FAT primary
partition "C" which hosts plain Dos/Windows and a 100 MB HPFS logical
partition "D" which hosts OS/2 Warp. The 2 Gig Quantum HD constitutes 1
whole HPFS volume setup as drive "E". I'm using Boot Manager to manage
this setup.

I didn't have any problem whatsoever to install Warp on this system. It's
been over a year now that I've been running Warp on this system and I've
been extremely happy with it.

I wonder what in the hell has happened since installing OD to create such
problems??? Any suggestion will be very much appreciated. Please reply by
email.

Regards,

Luc Marcil

2. FS Software

3. FP9 disables Lazy Writes

4. Halogen Lights and X-10 Wall Switches

5. Lazy writes and read ahead disabled

6. Duplicate keys?

7. Lazy Write and Read ahea

8. VkMenu::getItemPosition question

9. Cache Lazy Writing Priority?

10. Lazy Write disabled by Warp 4.0

11. Warp 4: "no lazy write" after installing File and Print Client

12. Lazy Writes and Read Ahead Pause Boot Process

13. Merlin & Lazy Writes & Read Ahead