ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by ti.. » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by Jeff Shult » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

IBM Anti-virus - it's invisible, reliable, and frequently updated. And
there are versions for OS/2, Win95, DOS, and Win31 in the box. NT is
also available.

 I believe that Dr. Solomon and McAfee also have OS/2 versions.

--
Jeff Shultz <OS/2 Advisor>

http://www.netcom.com/~jbshultz

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by Chris J. Alumbau » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

writes:
:>
:>Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

MacAfee and IBM anti-virus.. I think IBM anti-virus comes with lots of
versions in the box.

Chris J. Alumbaugh
********************************
As it is SPOKEN.. so it appears
OS/2 Warp 4.0 and Voice Dictation
********************************
* my email address in the header has been hacked*
* please shift all letters 1 letter to the right*
*to decipher correct address to reply by email*

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by rwhu.. » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

>IBM Anti-virus - it's invisible, reliable, and frequently updated. And
>there are versions for OS/2, Win95, DOS, and Win31 in the box. NT is
>also available.

        In recent releases, NT comes with the others. It is no longer reserved for
the "Enterprise Edition" along with the Novell anti-viral package.
"I would predict that there are far greater mistakes waiting
to be made by someone with your obvious talent for it."
Orac to Vila. [City at the Edge of the World.]

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by rwhu.. » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>>> Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

>>IBM Anti-virus - it's invisible, reliable, and frequently updated. And
>>there are versions for OS/2, Win95, DOS, and Win31 in the box. NT is
>>also available.

>    In recent releases, NT comes with the others. It is no longer reserved for
>the "Enterprise Edition" along with the Novell anti-viral package.
>"I would predict that there are far greater mistakes waiting
>to be made by someone with your obvious talent for it."
>Orac to Vila. [City at the Edge of the World.]

        My mistake. The Win-NT version is still reserved for the Enterprise Edition
along with the Novell version. The fact that they all got covered in the "updates"
readme misled me into thinking that the Win-NT version was now included in the
Desktop Edition. It is not. [The Win-NT version got substantially upgraded this
time around, and is no longer inferior in features to the others.]

Post by John Mandevil » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

> IBM Anti-virus - it's invisible, reliable, and frequently updated. And
> there are versions for OS/2, Win95, DOS, and Win31 in the box. NT is
> also available.

>  I believe that Dr. Solomon and McAfee also have OS/2 versions.

Also f-prot if you're willing to take out a second or third mortgage.

--
John Mandeville

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by emog.. » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

IBM Anti-Virus works for me.  It comes with versions for OS/2, Win31 and Win95.
I frequentlyget images on diskette for a web page I maintain for a small
business, and IBM Anti-Virus has never failed to detect any virus that may have
been present on the diskette.  McAfee also makes an Anti-Virus program for OS/2.

Erik Mogensen
TeamOS/2
The HTML Writters Guild

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by thyl.. » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

You can use mcafee or thunderbyte for shareware ones, which are on hobbes,
and a commercial one is IBM antivirus.

 ____
  /   /   / _
 (   /)(/( (-

 http://www.netforward.com.deathsdoor/?thyle
 "You can't live without Jesus anymore."-John Gibson

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by S. Jay Lensgra » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

I've heard of native OS/2 antivirus programs from IBM, Thunderbyte,
Mcafee, and Dr. Solomon.  I've heard that Dr. Solomon's is the only one
of the bunch which detects the few viruses designed specifically to
attack OS/2.

Happy Hunting, Jay

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by Doug Bisse » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

I use IBM Antivirus. The package supports Win95, Warp Win3.1 and DOS. Updates are available from the internet.
I don't know if it is really any good at detecting viruses (never had one), but it definitly has less impact on system performance than McAfee's virus stuff.
--
***************************
From the PC of Doug Bissett

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by Danial E. Widne » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

IBM Antivirus has caught many a virus attempting to get into my machine.

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by Radbert Grimm » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

You dont really need one if you dont use too much DOS ...
Using OS/2 is basically the best Virus-Protection in itsself.
AFAIk there are exactly 2 working OS/2 viruses in Existence;
both are not only rather harmless, but also not itw.
And it is basically immune to DOS-viruses, a least I gathered
as much from a recent discussion in a virus group.

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM FOR OS/2

Post by askb.. » Mon, 10 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>>Any cool Anti-Virus Program for OS/2?

>You dont really need one if you dont use too much DOS ...
>Using OS/2 is basically the best Virus-Protection in itsself.
>AFAIk there are exactly 2 working OS/2 viruses in Existence;
>both are not only rather harmless, but also not itw.
>And it is basically immune to DOS-viruses, a least I gathered
>as much from a recent discussion in a virus group.

Wish it were so!  There are a number of DOS boot-sector viruses that can
damage the MBR of even an all-HPFS OS/2 system - Monkey B being one
that a client of mine had a problem with.  If you have OS/2 boot manager
installed, recovery is fairly easy, but still a PITA.

IBM's own IBM Anti-virus is the best antidote.  It is cheap, freely updated by
the largest software company in the world (IBM, BTW, not Micro-whatever).
And - best of all - in one box you get NATIVE OS/2, NATIVE DOS, NATIVE Win NT,
and NATIVE WIN-95 coverage.  Installed under OS/2 and set to also protect the
DOS and Win-OS/2 boxes, it is terrific.  We deliver a copy with each new system.

Check it out!

Bill Hacker

Titanic '12     NYSE '29    Windows '95