OS/2 loses sync after going to fullscreen mode

OS/2 loses sync after going to fullscreen mode

Post by Paul C. Janz » Tue, 24 Nov 1992 13:25:21

I used to have a Northgate 386/20 motherboard with Zymos SVGA circuitry
built on the motherboard. Now I have a shiny new 486/50 motherboard,
and I got a Cardinal 700 1M (ET-4000) SVGA card to go with it.
This runs my NEC Multisync 2A (variable-frequency) monitor.

My problem is that somehow, OS/2 is confusing my video card. When
I first go into either a DOS or OS/2 fullscreen session, the monitor
loses sync. When I return to the WPS, sync is not restored. (But until
I go into a full screen session, everything is fine.)

I can run 'vmode' blindly, but nothing I do seems to work. Furthermore,
when I do a shutdown / C-A-D (also blindly), and boot raw DOS, the
monitor is still confused. Vmode does no good here, either. Only a
reset-button or bws fixes the problem.

I haven't run svga, and my config.sys has no mention of Svga. I have
also run selective install, to just as little avail. So it can't be
the need for a new VSVGA.SYS mentioned in the os2tnt.doc.

I have read the FAQ and the README, but nothing seems to apply to
my situation.

Thanks....

Paul C. Janzen                Old age is the most unexpected of things

OS/2 loses sync after going to fullscreen mode

Post by Jack S. T » Tue, 24 Nov 1992 16:38:27

Quote:> I used to have a Northgate 386/20 motherboard with Zymos SVGA circuitry
> built on the motherboard. Now I have a shiny new 486/50 motherboard,
> and I got a Cardinal 700 1M (ET-4000) SVGA card to go with it.
> This runs my NEC Multisync 2A (variable-frequency) monitor.

> My problem is that somehow, OS/2 is confusing my video card. When
> I first go into either a DOS or OS/2 fullscreen session, the monitor
> loses sync. When I return to the WPS, sync is not restored. (But until
> I go into a full screen session, everything is fine.)

> I can run 'vmode' blindly, but nothing I do seems to work. Furthermore,
> when I do a shutdown / C-A-D (also blindly), and boot raw DOS, the
> monitor is still confused. Vmode does no good here, either. Only a
> reset-button or bws fixes the problem.

> I haven't run svga, and my config.sys has no mention of Svga. I have
> also run selective install, to just as little avail. So it can't be
> the need for a new VSVGA.SYS mentioned in the os2tnt.doc.

> I have read the FAQ and the README, but nothing seems to apply to
> my situation.

> Thanks....

Are you trying to run in SVGA mode (i.e., something above standard VGA)?
I had the same problem for awhile (navigating the WPS with out-of-sync
video is fun!).  I was running in 1024x768x256 (or trying to) on an
ET4000 card.  I had to boot native DOS (reset switch), set my video modes
from there, and create a new SVGADATA.PMI file using 'SVGA ON.'  Replacing
this file over the old one in \OS2 did the trick.

It seems that VMODE under OS/2 does not run the same as under native DOS.
(Possibly due to the way OS/2 handles the video.)  Trying to set a custom
monitor under OS/2 didn't work for me; the same settings came in clearly
under DOS.

--

Jack Tan                                     Sattinger's Law:

1. Fullscreen Dos loses sync for no reason...

Greetings,

I'd like to know if anyone is experiencing the following problem,
and if there is a fix.

I have a 486/33MHz machine with 16 MB of RAM, 200 MB IDE disk
and a (gag) Diamond Speedstar 24 video card, which is ET4000 based.

Every so often, I'll try to start a Dos fullscreen session.  The screen
will go to text mode, and then will lose sync and throw an exception.

Fortunately, this does not trap the machine.  The video is so badly
out of sync, however, that I cannot read the error message.

Upon exiting to the WPS, the screen is still out of sync.  I would
start a Dos session and run VMODE to reset the video parameters,
but any Dos session I start gives a SYS3175 (I think, hard to read when
the monitor is doing its best to blind you and make you cross-eyed).

I'm only running the monitor at 640x480x16colors (because everything
else is too slow).

Svgadata.pmi does not exist.  There is a file called svgatmp.bat
which contains one line

        c:\os2\svga on init

I'm afraid to erase it in case I ever get another video card and
need to install svga support.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

--
| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham | North Central Association, Commission on Schools|

| <<TeamOS/2>>              | 602/965-8700         |  #include "disclaimer.h" |

2. Want to buy DUNE II

3. Boca Super VGA loses sync in fullscreen DOS

4. My modemslowed down after....

5. Mode 13h in OS/2 fullscreen apps

6. WEB and Script Problem :(

7. mode mono in an OS/2 fullscreen

8. Varcomp capacity

9. losing resolutions, no-go w/archived d-top, losing icons +more

10. bogo no go, has mogo on the go-go-go

11. Logitech Catchword in Fullscreen mode

12. Fullscreen text-mode Cut-and-Paste?!

13. Library for windows in fullscreen mode