Diamond/DTC/Comptrade compatibility (Was "OS/2 and hardware compatibility")

Diamond/DTC/Comptrade compatibility (Was "OS/2 and hardware compatibility")

Post by Thomas Rusch » Tue, 07 Sep 1993 02:48:55

Quote:

>My understanding from Diamond is that the Viper will still remain
>a screamer while under OS/2.  I just read an article in September's
>Computer Shopper, "Super Color," which rates the Viper as tops in
>it's class.  However, one person told me that the driver support from
>Diamond is somewhat lacking.  Driver support is essential,
>otherwise the operating system is irrelevant.   Does anyone have
>any understanding of how well the Viper beta drivers have functioned?

        I've been using the Viper beta drivers for about 2 weeks. They
have worked perfectly, as far as I can tell. (I am a new user of OS/2)
I had been using VGA, but these were, of course, a big step up. I have
noticed nothing wrong.

        Oh, one thing.. I previously had a Viper board with v2.00 firmware,
and I did have a problem with full-screen OS/2 sessions. The foreground/
background colors would be randomly set when I minimized/restored a full
screen session. This ceased when I got the latest v2.02 board. If you make
sure to get the latest board/drivers, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a
thumbs-up.

        I haven't extensively tested them, of course, but full/windowed
DOS & OS/2 work, as does seamless Windows. (I don't use Windows much, so
I haven't test that much)

Tom

Diamond/DTC/Comptrade compatibility (Was "OS/2 and hardware compatibility")

Post by Forrest A. Olmste » Mon, 06 Sep 1993 22:20:24

I posted a query some days ago about OS/2 and compatibility
with Diamond's Viper card and DTC's 3292 VLB EISA hard drive
controller.  For anyone else in my shoes, I thought I would post the
results from the feedback I received from others and from my own
diggings.

As I am near to purchasing a new computer system, I should have
mentioned earlier that the computer vender offering these
components is Comptrade.  Their prices are good, and their systems
have consistently won favorable reviews in Computer Shopper and
PC Magazine.  They do not ship systems with OS/2, but will
discount their system $50 if shipped without DOS/Windows.  Man-
ufacturers of components for their systems do seem to be striving
to support OS/2 however.

Viper drivers for OS/2 2.1 are in beta, but alpha code is supposed to
be released at the end of September.  I got this from the
tech rep's at Diamond.  The drivers are for OS/2 and Windows
apps, full screen or windowed.  They do not have DOS drivers
for Wordperfect though.  Max resolutions of 1280x1024x256
are to be supported, vertical refresh at 74Hz.

My understanding from Diamond is that the Viper will still remain
a screamer while under OS/2.  I just read an article in September's
Computer Shopper, "Super Color," which rates the Viper as tops in
it's class.  However, one person told me that the driver support from
Diamond is somewhat lacking.  Driver support is essential,
otherwise the operating system is irrelevant.   Does anyone have
any understanding of how well the Viper beta drivers have functioned?

As far as drivers for DTC hard drive controllers go, particularly
with the DTC 3290 and 3292, the former is supported now, and the
latter to be within two weeks.  They will provide firmware to owners
of their controllers, which apparently consists of a small chip that must
be installed onto the controller.  This chip allows these DTC cards to be
supported under OS/2 utilizing Adaptec's 1540 hard drive controller
drivers, which I think are provided for in OS/2.  Furthermore, even
though the Adaptec driver is 16-bit and the DTC's are 32-bit controllers,
DTC has told me that performance degradation of their controllers is
unaffected by the use of these drivers.  Does anyone have any feedback
on how well the DTC controllers have functioned utilizing the Adaptec
drivers?

Thank-you to everyone who sent feedack to me via email.  I
appreciate the help.

-

Forrest A. Olmstead
  Mechanical Engineering    "If there is anything he can do to
   Case Western Reserve University      to keep himself from
    Cleveland, Ohio                                  doing what

                                               he will do it!"

-

1. HELP on GCC Install("\" vs "/")

Hi,
   I have tried to unzoo the files for GCC 2.2.2 and encountered problems.
   The first problem is that when I unzoo the include/hdr files, it seemed
   that subdirectories should be created but it is not created under my OS/2
   2.0.
   The second problem is that when I compile the sample codes,. I encountered
   the problem of the "/" rather than "\" in the include files inside the C++
   files.

   I have OS/2 2.0 installed on HPFS.

   Is there anything that I should do to enable the recognition of "/" in my
   OS/2 2.0 machine and how?

   Thanks a lot !

2. Changing sequential variables in for loops....?

3. *IS* Warp "better" than Win95? (Compatibility)

4. Problems with iSilo related to Omnisky?

5. \*IS\* Warp "better" than Win95? (Compatibility)

6. MAME GAMES REQUEST!

7. Filename "lpt7", "com1" and "nul"

8. Lost "Shutdown", "Lockup" & "System Setup" Options

9. OS/2 Warp ("Merlin") GUI

10. Don't respond to flame bait, please (Like "OS/2 Stinks")

11. NEC CDR-210 (aka "PowerUser") CD-ROM under OS/2?

12. Paradise prob (was "No OS/2...")