Please help: WFW to OS/2 LAN Server 3.0

Post by jonatha » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to connect a WFW machine to an OS/2 LAN
Server. I am able to map the domain\machine name from
the WFW box, but only get a shared directory named
'NETLOGIN' which does not physically exist on the OS/2
machine(?).  The OS/2 machine is a second server on a
WAN and does not require it's own login. We use the
requestor service to access the (primary) server on
the WAN. I am not able to map the primary server to
WFW (the main goal of this entire excercise).

Obviously, i don't know much about OS/2, the people who
supposedly administer this network apparently have all
died even though their voice-mail is still active. Is it
possible to 'share' directories on the OS/2 machine
similar to sharing in WFW, without requiring a
login/requestor?

Can anyone suggest some commands i might throw at the
OS/2 machine to try and find out the structure of the
network? If I actually get in touch with someone who
has administrative privilege what will they need to set up?

Many thanks for your help!

Jonathan Steele

Post by David L. Berge » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I am trying to connect a WFW machine to an OS/2 LAN
> Server. I am able to map the domain\machine name from
> the WFW box, but only get a shared directory named
> 'NETLOGIN' which does not physically exist on the OS/2
> machine(?).  The OS/2 machine is a second server on a
> WAN and does not require it's own login. We use the
> requestor service to access the (primary) server on
> the WAN. I am not able to map the primary server to
> WFW (the main goal of this entire excercise).

> Obviously, i don't know much about OS/2, the people who
> supposedly administer this network apparently have all
> died even though their voice-mail is still active. Is it
> possible to 'share' directories on the OS/2 machine
> similar to sharing in WFW, without requiring a
> login/requestor?

> Can anyone suggest some commands i might throw at the
> OS/2 machine to try and find out the structure of the
> network? If I actually get in touch with someone who
> has administrative privilege what will they need to set up?

> Many thanks for your help!

> Jonathan Steele

What you may need to do is make sure that any OS/2 SHAREs that are set
up are shared at STARTUP.  WfWg can't see SHAREs that are done any other
way.  We have been using WfWg connected to LAN Server 3.0 and then 4.0
Advanced and I had a similar problem.  When you make the SHAREs to be at
STARTUP (which means forever and always), you will see them when you
browse.

In addition, you MUST have an account on the OS/2 machine for whatever
login you use that has access to the shared directories.  Normally, you
would set the LAN Manager login on in the Network Control Applet and
define the domain to be your OS/2 domain.  You can then have WfWg save
the password and WfWg will automatically reconnect at login.  Those
reconnects are really fast on a 100MHz Pentium.

If you need more help let me know.

David Berger
Software Construction, Inc.

1. Please help Lan Distance over Lan Server 3.0

:
:

I have heard that the Etherlink III cards do not run in promiscuous mode.
You will have to get a different adapter.  I think that some of the
older 3com cards will run in promiscuous mode, and the IBM adapters will
too.  I am sure that IBM has a list of supported adapters, but I do not
know where to look for it...

Robert Floyd

2. Netware & Windows networking skills for Notes Admin?

3. DOGFIGHT!

4. HELP: LAN SERVER 3.0 <--> WFW 3.11

5. how do hackers hack?

6. WfW 3.11 clients on LAN Server 3.0

7. LaMail: Can't Delete Folder

8. LAN server 3.0 and WFW 3.11

9. Lan Server 3.0 unstable - HELP PLEASE!

10. Does OS/2 Lan Server 4.0 inc Lan Client 3.0?

11. Please, please, please help me remove LAN stuff...

12. HELP: Getting started with LAN Server 3.0 Entry Edition (mostly P2P)