Early Vers. of Word on Warp

Post by larson er » Fri, 16 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Any comments, even "it works" on how early version of Microsoft Word (the
DOS character versions -- some are bound programs, meaning DOS/OS/2
compatibility) would be appreciated.

I get to demo Warp to an important individual who's primary goal is
compatibility with early versions of Word.  He doesn't want to switch to
DOS/Windows, yet needs the networking, WWW, newsreaders, FTP, etc.,
capabilities of Warp.

Thanks in advance.

--
Eric Larson                  | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
USDA/Agronomy                | 190 PABL; 1201 W. Gregory; Urbana, IL 61801

Fidonet: 1:233/4.1           | My opinions are my own, but correct :-)

Early Vers. of Word on Warp

:
: I get to demo Warp to an important individual who's primary goal is
: compatibility with early versions of Word.  He doesn't want to switch to
: DOS/Windows, yet needs the networking, WWW, newsreaders, FTP, etc.,
: capabilities of Warp.

I don't know about Warp, but the other day I dug out an old (DOS 5.5)
version of Word to see if it would run under 2.11, and it goes fine. It is
a family mode app, so it runs in an OS/2 text window with no problems. I
couldn't persuade it to run properly in "graphics" mode, though it might do
full screen - just checked, and it does run, but you only get the mouse in
text mode (windowed or FS).

--
Keith Collyer [TeamOS/2 UK]
Microsoft "Wait for us, we're the leaders!"

Early Vers. of Word on Warp

Post by Illya Vae » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Any comments, even "it works" on how early version of Microsoft Word (the
>DOS character versions -- some are bound programs, meaning DOS/OS/2
>compatibility) would be appreciated.
>I get to demo Warp to an important individual who's primary goal is
>compatibility with early versions of Word.  He doesn't want to switch to
>DOS/Windows, yet needs the networking, WWW, newsreaders, FTP, etc.,
>capabilities of Warp.

Hi Eric,

As far as I can see from my limited use of the Dutch Word 5 for DOS (at least,
sold as 'for DOS'), it runs *fine* in OS/2 (I have it set Windowed).
It is seen as an OS/2 executable (ie. bound or family API). When selecting
other display drivers, your window resizes rather than getting another font,
but that's just weird.

Let your friend go for it!
(I might arrange to try an old German version of Word 4, but I can't do that
easily as I myself am without 5.25" floppy drive)
--

Holland Railconsult BV, Signalling CAD
Postbus 2855, 3500 GW Utrecht

1. Usoft Word for Windoze ver 6.0

I am having a problem with subject Willy Gates toy, when I try to Print
Preview I get the following Error Msg 'Insufficient memory to update display'.
I am running blue Box and have checked and altered the setting page WRT
memory but to no avail, can someone please clue me in ..............

There are only two kinds of people in the world ......

        Those who use Warp and those who wish they did .......

2. Best Practices / Benchmarks

3. equation editor in Word ver 6 in winos2

4. JOB - US - VA - Richmond (Consulting) Winrunner

5. Tinkbar ver 4.0 for Word Pro now available

6. FS:Sparcbook 2 $600obo

7. Warp and Word 95 & Word 97

8. X-tender Chip

9. Word Pro for Warp 4 and Word 7 documents?

10. WARP 4 Fix Pack 4 early experience

11. WARP 4 FP 3: Early experience

12. Warp install fails VERY early